The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

The place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby JLP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:52 am

Got the new PC up and running but I cannot seem to find Outlook express. Where is it in Windows 7?
Come on You Tigers
User avatar
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull
 
Posts: 23439
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:29 am
Location: The Premiership 2009-10

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby Ian-Highlander » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 am

Outlook Express doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced in Vista by Windows Mail and removed completely in Windows 7, you can download Windows Live Mail from http://download.live.com/wlmail which is what they're touting as it's replacement although personally I've never used it and always use Outlook, although this requires you to have Microsoft Office of course.
User avatar
Ian-Highlander
There Can Be Only One
There Can Be Only One
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:31 pm
Location: Raising Money For "Make-A-Wish Foundation" On http://www.gcrpeople.com

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby WeeMann » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Ian-Highlander wrote:Outlook Express doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced in Vista by Windows Mail and removed completely in Windows 7, you can download Windows Live Mail from http://download.live.com/wlmail which is what they're touting as it's replacement although personally I've never used it and always use Outlook, although this requires you to have Microsoft Office of course.


Does this work with XP? I still use Outlook 2000, but I'm always up for an upgrade if it's free!
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
User avatar
WeeMann
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 11:42 pm
Location: One of The Usual Suspects.

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby Ian-Highlander » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 pm

I wouldnt consider any microsoft "live" product an upgrade over Outlook mate.
User avatar
Ian-Highlander
There Can Be Only One
There Can Be Only One
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:31 pm
Location: Raising Money For "Make-A-Wish Foundation" On http://www.gcrpeople.com

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby WeeMann » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Ian-Highlander wrote:I wouldnt consider any microsoft "live" product an upgrade over Outlook mate.


Fair enough. I'll stick with what I've got then. It does the job well enough. Even though I've lost track of where it's archiving stuff now... :mad:
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
User avatar
WeeMann
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 11:42 pm
Location: One of The Usual Suspects.

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby JLP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Totally amazed at some of the crap that is on the desktop. A shortcut to Ebay, a shortcut to a site that allows you to download games as long as you join and pay £6.95 a month.

Time to start filling up the recycle bin me thinks.
Come on You Tigers
User avatar
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull
 
Posts: 23439
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:29 am
Location: The Premiership 2009-10

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby Ian-Highlander » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:14 pm

JLP wrote:Totally amazed at some of the crap that is on the desktop. A shortcut to Ebay, a shortcut to a site that allows you to download games as long as you join and pay £6.95 a month.

Time to start filling up the recycle bin me thinks.

Most new PC's come with a restore disc (or the ability to make one from the hard drive) that then allows you to do a clean Windows only install. It's the first thing I usually do with any new PC's as most of them come with ten tonnes of crap on them you dont need and half of it loads on startup.

Of course if you know what you're doing you can uninstall most of it and remove the rest from startup but it still wont be as clean or as fast as a fresh install.

Problem is most companies although they give this option on their restore discs make them relatively hard to find and don't advertise the fact they're there.
User avatar
Ian-Highlander
There Can Be Only One
There Can Be Only One
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:31 pm
Location: Raising Money For "Make-A-Wish Foundation" On http://www.gcrpeople.com

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby Brian's Biggest Fan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm

I recently got a copy of Brian's 'The Business (Rock on Cozy mix)' and for some reason I can't get the multimedia section to play on my laptop. I'd like to know what I can do to get it to play. I have tried changing the compatibility settings so that it should run on my laptop, but that didn't work. (The CD says something about using windows 95, and my laptop has windows XP.) I have other CDs that have a multimedia section like this one does and they play fine on my laptop. (David Bowie & Bing Crosby's 'Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy.) So what can I do to get this to work?
Image
Member of the D.M.C.
R.I.P. Eva
R.I.P. Cozy Powell
Mayniac: On My Way Up
Taylorette: Shove It
Powellite: Dance With The Devil
Joint second place best fan fictions
User avatar
Brian's Biggest Fan
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now
 
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:48 pm
Location: Going Nowhere Fast.

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby Bad Guy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 pm

OK I have a problem -

On the home PC we are having a problem with something called "XP Gaurdian 2010". When you try to access IE, a pop up with this says -

FIREWALL

XP Guardian 2010 reports that it is currently turned off. A firewall helps protect your computer from potentially harmful on the internet. Click reccommendations to learn how to fix the problem.


VIRUS PROTECTION

XP Guardian 2010 reports that it is currently turned off. Antivirus software helps protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. Click reccommendations for suggested actions you can take.


Both these sections of the pop up are shaded red to indicate that they are indeed turned off. When I clicked on the button at the bottom to activate them, it said that I had to renew my XP Gaurdian and to do this, I had to pay for it. Now I don't get this as we have always used Norton to protect our PC and when I checked that, it said that the antivirus and firewalls are working fine.

So what's the deal with this? I had a google search and looked on a couple of forums, and some people are saying that this is actually a virus itself, but I don't know if I should remove it as it is actually the program that comes up when you click on the firewall settings on the Control Panel.
LEWIS HAMILTON & JENSON BUTTON - McLAREN'S 2010 DREAM TEAM!
User avatar
Bad Guy
BOPOS
BOPOS
 
Posts: 9087
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:48 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby Ian-Highlander » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:13 am

It's one of several variants of a nasty little fucker that's been going around for years now under various names. It's definitely an infection mate and you won't be able to just uninstall it, depending on the specific variant it may require a fair bit of work to get rid of. Some of them aren't too bad, others are really nasty. I'll see if I can find specific details on that one for you if I get a spare minute.

Edit: this one looks pretty reasonable, note you HAVE to run the registry fix first to be able to run any executables again as this is one of the ones that links itself to .exe files and triggers any time you try and run ANY exe file.

Follow this CAREFULLY

http://www.myantispyware.com/2010/01/28 ... s-xp-2010/
User avatar
Ian-Highlander
There Can Be Only One
There Can Be Only One
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:31 pm
Location: Raising Money For "Make-A-Wish Foundation" On http://www.gcrpeople.com

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby Bad Guy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:01 am

Ian-Highlander wrote:It's one of several variants of a nasty little fucker that's been going around for years now under various names. It's definitely an infection mate and you won't be able to just uninstall it, depending on the specific variant it may require a fair bit of work to get rid of. Some of them aren't too bad, others are really nasty. I'll see if I can find specific details on that one for you if I get a spare minute.

Edit: this one looks pretty reasonable, note you HAVE to run the registry fix first to be able to run any executables again as this is one of the ones that links itself to .exe files and triggers any time you try and run ANY exe file.

Follow this CAREFULLY

http://www.myantispyware.com/2010/01/28 ... s-xp-2010/


Superb mate, that link worked brilliantly. Many thanks. :)
LEWIS HAMILTON & JENSON BUTTON - McLAREN'S 2010 DREAM TEAM!
User avatar
Bad Guy
BOPOS
BOPOS
 
Posts: 9087
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:48 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread - Part 2

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:09 pm

I did a Firefox upgrade Saturday night and that possibly caused my laptop to crash. I couldn't get it to boot up correctly all day, yesterday, and it didn't want to do a system restore, either. I finally got that to work today.

I can't get FireFox to open, now. It's just like there's an icon in my system tray that does nothing, nor will it work from the startup menu.

If I uninstall it and do a fresh install, I'll loose all my bookmarks, right? Is there any way to recover those bookmarks before I uninstall it? Or does anyone have any other ideas? If I reinstall another copy over the one on here now, will it work or what? LOL

Thanks in advance! :)
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Windows Movie Maker Problem

Postby _Bijou_ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm on a very old computer at the moment as it's the only one that has a Movie Maker that more or less works. I was making something today and because of lack of space on the computer, I deleted things I thought weren't important and I think one was called 'flash' something.

It shows how much I know about computers but after I deleted it, the movie maker project I had been working on wouldn't play and had a different logo, usually when something has been deleted.

Does anyone know if deleting that 'flash' file could have had something to do with it?

I've just tested and made a new project and that saves fine so I'm not quite sure why the other would go.
Image
Image
User avatar
_Bijou_
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 5328
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:17 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Windows Movie Maker Problem

Postby JLP » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:30 pm

_Bijou_ wrote:I'm on a very old computer at the moment as it's the only one that has a Movie Maker that more or less works. I was making something today and because of lack of space on the computer, I deleted things I thought weren't important and I think one was called 'flash' something.

It shows how much I know about computers but after I deleted it, the movie maker project I had been working on wouldn't play and had a different logo, usually when something has been deleted.

Does anyone know if deleting that 'flash' file could have had something to do with it?

I've just tested and made a new project and that saves fine so I'm not quite sure why the other would go.



moved to the appropriate thread.
Come on You Tigers
User avatar
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull
 
Posts: 23439
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:29 am
Location: The Premiership 2009-10

Re: Windows Movie Maker Problem

Postby _Bijou_ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Thought you were offering me advice. A quick response like that. :P
Image
Image
User avatar
_Bijou_
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 5328
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:17 pm
Location: United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to QUEENONLINE

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron