i hates the 3 quote rule

The place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Re: i hates the 3 quote rule

Postby action » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:19 pm

action wrote:Well i am gonna just fuck the quotes up from now on. So people dont complain if i misquote any quotes.

And you can quote me on that.

lord of all darkness. wrote:but i dont like it if people mess up their quotes :(

:P
what have i become?
my sweetest friend
everyone i know
goes away in the end
action
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby BriansRubberDuck » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:27 pm

I got to admit I don't like having only 3. Esp in LOASA where we do talk an awful lot we end up editing the quotes so we can still quote people. I guess as someone pointed out that there were some pages with about 20 quotes which was really annoying.

THANK YOU TINI FOR MY AVI AND SIG :group:

Taylorette: Keep On Running

RIP Zephie and Eva
BriansRubberDuck
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Taryn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:22 am

It's starting to get on my nerves a bit now. I have been on another forum which is the same type of board as this and it has a 5 quote rule, which seems to be much better.

JLP, is there any chance we can have the 5 quote option instead of 3?
Taryn
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby queenfan23 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:04 am

I've got it at 7 quotes on my board. 3 is way too low.
queenfan23
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Queen Mercury » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Bad Guy wrote:It might be a pain but it's a good idea to have it at 3 quotes per post. There was nothing more annoying than if two people were in conversation and kept quoting each other, and you ended up with 25 quotes per post and the orgininal post was squashed in the middle and every word had it's own line! :shock:

I agree with that.. it can be annoying, but it makes easier reading
Lover of Life, Singer of Songs, The Irreplaceable Legend That Is Freddie Mercury

Proud Mercurian and Member of The D.M.C
Fuck Today, It's Tomorrow - Freddie Mercury
Queen Mercury
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Broooklyn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:27 am

What the hell is the difference if ya have to edit it down from 4 consecutive posts to 3, vs. 6 to 5 and 8 to 7? In the end, it will not change the fact that at some point someone will have to subtract a post somewhere cuz if you expand it, chances are people will keep quoting and quoting until someone posts past the damn limit, which in the end will make it even more frustrating to edit down and have the quote boxes remain intact with the actual quote from the actual poster who said what they did, because even with the 3 quote limit, people are fucking up the editing process. There is no reason to quote more than 2 previous posts that are consecutive to one another when you reply.

Now if you want to argue the whole "I want to break a post up into little delightfully scrumptious quoted pieces and reply to each bit seperately...then...come on man. Just phrase your response in a manner that highlights your points, because in the end, even when you go through the bother of doing that, the other person is simply going to reply with the exact opposite of what you said anyway, because lets face it, we do not see the response "Yup...you are absolutely correct in what you just told me, in reply to what I have said to you. I thank you for setting me straight. I clearly see now that you were right and I was wrong" very often, now do we?
ImageImageImage
Broooklyn
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: When somethin'z broke...I wanna put a bit'a fixin' on it!

Postby JLP » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:31 am

Broooklyn wrote:What the hell is the difference if ya have to edit it down from 4 consecutive posts to 3, vs. 6 to 5 and 8 to 7? In the end, it will not change the fact that at some point someone will have to subtract a post somewhere cuz if you expand it, chances are people will keep quoting and quoting until someone posts past the damn limit, which in the end will make it even more frustrating to edit down and have the quote boxes remain intact with the actual quote from the actual poster who said what they did, because even with the 3 quote limit, people are fucking up the editing process. There is no reason to quote more than 2 previous posts that are consecutive to one another when you reply.

Now if you want to argue the whole "I want to break a post up into little delightfully scrumptious quoted pieces and reply to each bit seperately...then...come on man. Just phrase your response in a manner that highlights your points, because in the end, even when you go through the bother of doing that, the other person is simply going to reply with the exact opposite of what you said anyway, because lets face it, we do not see the response "Yup...you are absolutely correct in what you just told me, in reply to what I have said to you. I thank you for setting me straight. I clearly see now that you were right and I was wrong" very often, now do we?

Totally agree Broooky. As far as I am concerned three is enough.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Silver Rocker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:05 pm

I agree with Broooky. Please let us not have a return to the days when we constantly had to scroll through half-page quote pyramids, in order to unearth the next comment. Image
Silver Rocker
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Silver Rocker wrote:I agree with Broooky. Please let us not have a return to the days when we constantly had to scroll through half-page quote pyramids, in order to unearth the next comment. Image

Relax SR, I really don't see the current limit being changed.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Champs » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:02 pm

and that, as they say... is that.
Double Q calling secret squirrel, over.
Champs
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Lachlan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 am

it kinda gets annoying when ur trying to reply to something and it stops u from it. though sometimes i get ride of the other quotes, but sometimes i get mixed up and have to edit my replies all the time lol.
I don't want to make no waves
But you can give me all the love that I crave
I can't take it if you see me cry
I long for peace before I die
Lachlan
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Lachlan wrote:it kinda gets annoying when ur trying to reply to something and it stops u from it. though sometimes i get ride of the other quotes, but sometimes i get mixed up and have to edit my replies all the time lol.

the trick is to click on the preview button before you submit the post. If you have messed up the quotes, simply start again.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Greywoolfe » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:00 pm

It would have been better if the forum software only quoted the text body from the post quoted, rather than all the stuff in the other quote boxes within that post. Some forums do this, and the quote box then has an embedded link back to the original post so that anyone can follow that if they so wish. Most conversations don't really need multi-quotes within quotes anyway. It's only when something is being broken down into points and the context is in danger of being lost that the concern arises. One quote with a link to the original should work just fine. Not that anyone can do anything about it anymore, but there ya go...
Greywoolfe

Previous

Return to QUEENONLINE