Copyright problems with pictures

The place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Copyright problems with pictures

Postby Simon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi there,

hope I can get some useful information here. I don't know if there are different rules in GB, but in Germany there is a constant fear that message boards will be made responsible for copyright infringements when it comes to posting pictures, mainly album covers. Similar to the "What are you listening in 2009" thread, people like to show the cover of the DVD or CD or LP or whatever. Strictly speaking this may be a violation of some sort of copyright. The same goes for embedding youtube videos which are protected by copyright.
What's queenonline's approach to this situation? Is it possible that it could get sued but won't because this is an official message board by a huge band with a very huge record company behind it?
I did notice that the English Wikipedia shows many album covers where the German site doesn't show any. Is British law that different or is this just coincidence?

Any reply is highly appreciated, thanks :-D .
We're only immortal for a limited time.
Simon
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Re: Copyright problems with pictures

Postby JLP » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Simon wrote:Hi there,

hope I can get some useful information here. I don't know if there are different rules in GB, but in Germany there is a constant fear that message boards will be made responsible for copyright infringements when it comes to posting pictures, mainly album covers. Similar to the "What are you listening in 2009" thread, people like to show the cover of the DVD or CD or LP or whatever. Strictly speaking this may be a violation of some sort of copyright. The same goes for embedding youtube videos which are protected by copyright.
What's queenonline's approach to this situation? Is it possible that it could get sued but won't because this is an official message board by a huge band with a very huge record company behind it?
I did notice that the English Wikipedia shows many album covers where the German site doesn't show any. Is British law that different or is this just coincidence?

Any reply is highly appreciated, thanks :-D .

Interesting question. To be honest I really haven't a clue. All I can find is this from the registration page,

QueenOnline Message Board - Registration
By accessing “QueenOnline Message Board” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “QueenOnline Message Board”, “http://queenforum.parlophone.co.uk”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “QueenOnline Message Board”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “QueenOnline Message Board” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “QueenOnline Message Board” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “QueenOnline Message Board” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “QueenOnline Message Board” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

I know we don't allow links to illegal downloads etc so I would imagine if something was fishy, we would remove it upon request.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Simon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:56 pm

Some people tell me that certain German message boards had been severly fined because they showed a couple of lines from a song. Apparantly, they were sued by money-grabbing lawyers, who do this for a living: seeking copyright-violations and fining the person responsible for the board.
Let's say we post some pictures of Queen artwork in our threads to discuss the Absolute Greatest Artwork. Does this mean we are breaking copyright law because we did not ask the photographer or the artist who designed the artwork? Obviously it is more PR than anything to have your artwork in message-boards, but apparently those lawyers sue everything.

I remember I did write Brian May about this a couple of months (or years?) ago. He did answer with "I'll have a look into this, but alas, no answer.)
Simon
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby Tomb0 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:34 pm

Simon wrote:I don't know if there are different rules in GB, but in Germany there is a constant fear that message boards will be made responsible for copyright infringements when it comes to posting pictures, mainly album covers. Similar to the "What are you listening in 2009" thread, people like to show the cover of the DVD or CD or LP or whatever.

Generally speaking, scaled-down cover art is acceptable because you can claim it under fair use (go here for example and look in the last three boxes). It identifies the product you're talking about but should be too small for people to use in place of buying real cover art.
Tomb0
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby Inny » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:58 am

If Youtube didn't want their videos posted online, then why is there an embed code with almost every one of them?
“'Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons. The truth will win this marathon in court.'”
Inny
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby neeuqfonafamai » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:28 am

There's a specific feature in googlesites now to directly post youtube videos. You can also show them on your google homepage. This suggests that posting videos is OK to me.
Click on banner to see the Featured QNN site for March 2010:

Thanks to Amp
LOASA Best Fan Fiction-2008 & 9

RIP Emma

See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referral/abigailann
neeuqfonafamai
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Location: Wherever my signature points (click on the banner to find me)

Postby Kes » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:57 pm

Bands like Queen "do" appreciate that banning the posting of EVERYTHING to do with them, would constrict their ability to function as a business.

Therefore, there has to be a degree of common sense used, between people discussing, and therefore generating interest in their product, and people going that little bit too far by sharing their entire works. As far as I know, the band are OK with us putting up lyrics and pictures, providing the facility isn't over-used, abused, or used to paint them in a bad light. Obviously, they aren't keen on the site being used to transmit MP3s of their studio or live work, and don't want it to be used to propagate the circulation of illegal bootlegs or pirated recordings.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Postby Simon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:49 am

Kes wrote:Bands like Queen "do" appreciate that banning the posting of EVERYTHING to do with them, would constrict their ability to function as a business.

Therefore, there has to be a degree of common sense used, between people discussing, and therefore generating interest in their product, and people going that little bit too far by sharing their entire works. As far as I know, the band are OK with us putting up lyrics and pictures, providing the facility isn't over-used, abused, or used to paint them in a bad light. Obviously, they aren't keen on the site being used to transmit MP3s of their studio or live work, and don't want it to be used to propagate the circulation of illegal bootlegs or pirated recordings.

It's good to hear that bands are aware of this problem.
As far as I know it is chiefly a German problem because there are German lawyers who make a living with nothing else but browsing the web and searching for private websites and message boards which are using lyrics and pictures without permission. The people responsible for it get then sued. and the lawyer makes somehow money with it. I don't really understand it myself, since I always believed that the owner of the thing posted online would have to sue.
Simon
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Return to QUEENONLINE