the end of the world starts at CERN, september 2009

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

the end of the world starts at CERN, september 2009

Postby action » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:57 pm

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressRel ... 3.08E.html

However, since the LHC will explore a new energy range, there will also be unexpected results, resulting in new questions and new physics.

:shock:
Last edited by action on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
action
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:57 am

The particle accelerators in Cern have been producing unexpected results since 1957 (when their first accelerator started operation)... I don't see why you're scared now, when you should have been scared all your life :?
"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience." - George Bernard Shaw
LittleBabyNothing
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lino » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:45 pm

They have been trying to recreate the big bang at cern. According to a book I read, Internet as we know it started there...
Força Portugal, nós somos a tua voz. Queremos esta vitória, conquista-a por nós!!
Lino
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:53 pm

LittleBabyNothing wrote:The particle accelerators in Cern have been producing unexpected results since 1957 (when their first accelerator started operation)... I don't see why you're scared now, when you should have been scared all your life :?

they will create black holes, our entire fucking solar system will cease to exist

it's mind boggling people think this is ok, with a "if it happens it happens" attitude :? :?

really are humans that FUCKING stupid!? :? :?
action
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Martin1988 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:17 pm

action wrote:they will create black holes, our entire fucking solar system will cease to exist

it's mind boggling people think this is ok, with a "if it happens it happens" attitude :? :?

You're an idiot.
Martin1988
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Location: Ignorance is taking over. And it doesn't even know it.

Postby fairydandy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:38 pm

action wrote:
LittleBabyNothing wrote:The particle accelerators in Cern have been producing unexpected results since 1957 (when their first accelerator started operation)... I don't see why you're scared now, when you should have been scared all your life :?

they will create black holes, our entire fucking solar system will cease to exist

Nothing to kill or die for...and no religion too. :)
fairydandy

Postby Delilah » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Martin1988 wrote:
action wrote:they will create black holes, our entire fucking solar system will cease to exist

You're an idiot.

With a bit too much confidence in the human race as well. :P
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby action » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:53 am

Martin1988 wrote:

You're an idiot.

you're going to die too, your house and all your loved ones will evaporise

do you know what a black hole is?
action
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:53 am

Delilah wrote:
Martin1988 wrote:

You're an idiot.

With a bit too much confidence in the human race as well. :P

the male side, at least :P
action
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby queeniebee » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:48 am

action wrote:
Martin1988 wrote:

You're an idiot.

you're going to die too, your house and all your loved ones will evaporise

do you know what a black hole is?

Mmm, I think it might be the place where *some* peoples brains apparently exist.
I am a Deaconite. John rocks.
queeniebee
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:28 am

action wrote:

I have said this before, but I'm happy to say this again:

Ever heard of Hawking radiation? Even if (and the chances for that are very slim) they do create a "mini" black hole, it'll evaporise within a few miliseconds...

Nothing to worry about!
"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience." - George Bernard Shaw
LittleBabyNothing
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Greywoolfe » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:36 am

Given that CERN has been operational for some time, and that the people working there are nuclear physicists with far greater grasp of what they're doing than we'd ever hope to understand in our lifetimes, I'm pretty sure that if they'd done something that would cause the end of the world, it would have been done years ago, and the fact that we're still here proves that they haven't yet. I'm also certain that they know exactly how far to push the boundaries before anything dangerous happens. If any quantum singularities have been created (Black holes, that is) they would be so small, at the subatomic level, that they would be inherently unstable and would therefore not last long enough to do any damage to anything. (That's my understanding from what I've read on the subject) For a Black Hole to pose a threat to the Earth, it would have to have a sufficient mass to remain stable enough to pull the Earth in, and CERN does not contain anywhere near enough mass to generate something like that- it would require something the mass of the moon, or bigger- and I'm sure we'd notice something capable of holding THAT much mass here! Should the unlikely happen, and a chain reaction is started that causes the Earth to be vapourised in a singularity or anything similar, it would happen so quickly- thousandths of a second- that the brain would hardly have time to register the sight, sound and feeling before we ceased to exist. We simply wouldn't even know about it before *poof* it happened. Running around like Chicken Licken screaming that 'the sky is falling' is utterly futile. Get on and enjoy life while you still have it.
Greywoolfe

Postby action » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:40 am

LittleBabyNothing wrote:
action wrote:

I have said this before, but I'm happy to say this again:

Ever heard of Hawking radiation? Even if (and the chances for that are very slim) they do create a "mini" black hole, it'll evaporise within a few miliseconds...

Nothing to worry about!

no need for experiments then if they are so sure
action
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:42 am

Dusty wrote:Given that CERN has been operational for some time, and that the people working there are nuclear physicists with far greater grasp of what they're doing than we'd ever hope to understand in our lifetimes, I'm pretty sure that if they'd done something that would cause the end of the world, it would have been done years ago, and the fact that we're still here proves that they haven't yet. I'm also certain that they know exactly how far to push the boundaries before anything dangerous happens. If any quantum singularities have been created (Black holes, that is) they would be so small, at the subatomic level, that they would be inherently unstable and would therefore not last long enough to do any damage to anything. (That's my understanding from what I've read on the subject) For a Black Hole to pose a threat to the Earth, it would have to have a sufficient mass to remain stable enough to pull the Earth in, and CERN does not contain anywhere near enough mass to generate something like that- it would require something the mass of the moon, or bigger- and I'm sure we'd notice something capable of holding THAT much mass here! Should the unlikely happen, and a chain reaction is started that causes the Earth to be vapourised in a singularity or anything similar, it would happen so quickly- thousandths of a second- that the brain would hardly have time to register the sight, sound and feeling before we ceased to exist. We simply wouldn't even know about it before *poof* it happened. Running around like Chicken Licken screaming that 'the sky is falling' is utterly futile. Get on and enjoy life while you still have it.

that is an extremely, EXTREMELY bland excuse for these experiments :shock:
action
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Greywoolfe » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:52 am

action wrote:that is an extremely, EXTREMELY bland excuse for these experiments :shock:

It's being realistic, action. It's a hell of a big IF, anyway- the end of the world is extremely unlikely, but IF it happens, we'll never know about it because it will happen in microseconds, and we'll never feel the pain anyway. The scientists at CERN don't know you or I exist, nor would they give a damn if they did, much as you or I wouldn't give a damn about someone we don't know on the other side of the world. Therefore, anything we say won't even feature on their radar, so why waste your life shouting, screaming and worrying about the fact that the world may or may not be ending when you could be getting on and enjoying life? I'm certainly not saying that this is an excuse for them to conduct these experiments, just that anything we say would be meaningless, and should they result in the end of everything, we certainly won't know of it or suffer, because it will happen too quickly for us even to know that it's happening.
Greywoolfe

Next

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?