The Pope bites the dust...

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Image

I like this one. I used to wear one almost like it, although mine was a bit taller. :P
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Delilah » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Do you not recognize the hat in the last photo??


Yes, Shriners (right?) and why would that even matter? What's the point? If they look like silly dress-up games that grown men play to me, then that's what they look like to me.
User avatar
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Delilah wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Do you not recognize the hat in the last photo??


Yes, Shriners (right?) and why would that even matter? What's the point? If they look like silly dress-up games that grown men play to me, then that's what they look like to me.


The point is, you find any hat that's similar to be funny, religious or not. Not just you but anyone posting in here making fun of the Pope because of his hat.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby fairydandy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
Delilah wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Do you not recognize the hat in the last photo??


Yes, Shriners (right?) and why would that even matter? What's the point? If they look like silly dress-up games that grown men play to me, then that's what they look like to me.


The point is, you find any hat that's similar to be funny, religious or not. Not just you but anyone posting in here making fun of the Pope because of his hat.


I watched the vidow last night, it's still hysterical to me and always will be. The hat just disappears out of sight, just as if it's a puppet show. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaha. :lol:
User avatar
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now
 
Posts: 4245
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 am

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Belle Leisha » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Yeah to be fair, the hat going flying really was hilarious. You have to admit Inny that it is, in many cases, the pomp and ceremony of the Church that alienates people who aren't religious but have no problem with religion. Having dignity in such a ceremony takes guts, falling over rather breaks the effect. :biggrin:
Image


I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
User avatar
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11778
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Never a FarCry from here...

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm

The hat stays on until after he hits the ground. :?
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Belle Leisha » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Innuendoes wrote:The hat stays on until after he hits the ground. :?


Oh well it's not funny anymore then.

:-|

When I say 'the hat' going flying, I do mean on his head. :lol:
Image


I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
User avatar
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11778
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Never a FarCry from here...

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:52 am

Hmmm - have sex with a child and you get protected, but have sex with another man, and you're sacked!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma ... ex-scandal
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby fairydandy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:11 am

Elessar wrote:Hmmm - have sex with a child and you get protected, but have sex with another man, and you're sacked!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma ... ex-scandal


I hope that one day the world will be free of this vile religion and it's hypocrisy.
User avatar
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now
 
Posts: 4245
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 am

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Elessar wrote:Hmmm - have sex with a child and you get protected, but have sex with another man, and you're sacked!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma ... ex-scandal


Have sex with ANYONE, and you're sacked, it's in the job description, Any other job and you would say they broke the rules, end of.
Image


I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
User avatar
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11778
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Never a FarCry from here...

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:Hmmm - have sex with a child and you get protected, but have sex with another man, and you're sacked!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma ... ex-scandal


Have sex with ANYONE, and you're sacked, it's in the job description, Any other job and you would say they broke the rules, end of.


Unless they're children, obviously.
It's a cheap shot, but it's true!
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Elessar wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:Hmmm - have sex with a child and you get protected, but have sex with another man, and you're sacked!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma ... ex-scandal


Have sex with ANYONE, and you're sacked, it's in the job description, Any other job and you would say they broke the rules, end of.


Unless they're children, obviously.
It's a cheap shot, but it's true!


Well no, it's not true. The paeodophilia protection scandal was horrifying and inexcusable, it was exposed and the Vatican will pay for it for a very, very long time, including many more priests and ordinary people who had absolutely nothing to do with it. They have repeatedly admitted to grave wrongdoing and if an incident came up today, as this incident has they would be out just as fast and straight into the hands of the police as with any other organisation.

The rules state you ahve to be celibate, if you're discovered not to be you will be fired, covering up child abuse had nothing to do with sex, it was a seriously misguided attempt to stop a scandal on the church. That's absolutely wrong, but you're mixing two issues that don't mix and again, you'd say that yourself if it was any other job.
Image


I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
User avatar
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11778
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Never a FarCry from here...

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Delilah » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Well no, it's not true. The paeodophilia protection scandal was horrifying and inexcusable, it was exposed and the Vatican will pay for it for a very, very long time, including many more priests and ordinary people who had absolutely nothing to do with it. They have repeatedly admitted to grave wrongdoing and if an incident came up today, as this incident has they would be out just as fast and straight into the hands of the police as with any other organisation.

The rules state you ahve to be celibate, if you're discovered not to be you will be fired, covering up child abuse had nothing to do with sex, it was a seriously misguided attempt to stop a scandal on the church. That's absolutely wrong, but you're mixing two issues that don't mix and again, you'd say that yourself if it was any other job.


Let's keep it real here. They can point to what's on paper and say "See? It's just as bad." But that's not what was done in practice. In practice, they spent a lot of time, money, and energy opposing equal rights for gays all over the world while simultaneously covering up child rape by their priests. I don't know how anyone can look to that organization for moral guidance anymore. The heiarchy who oversaw the coverup are still there. It's still the same organization. A sheriff would have been sacked and jailed for covering up far less major crimes by his deputies.
User avatar
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Oh I don't despute that, the cover up was inexcusable, no question, and without comparisson to anything else it was sickening. Yes it's the same organization, a lot of people should have gone to jail for that, regardless of who they happened to be. I'm still not sure why that didn't happen. As the cover up was exposed, why was it not out of Vatican hands? Either way, no excuses, no anything but utter revulsion. Child abuse happens all over, had they just done the right thing about it it wouldn't have reflected on the church. That they didn't, was just horrifying, it's absolutely right that this will never go away.

I'm saying that the guy in the link was sacked for a perfectly valid reason and in any other job you would all agree. If you don't think it's fair priests have to be celibate fine, don't become one or step down when you find it too difficult, but those are the rules, you have to follow them, just like any other job.
Image


I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
User avatar
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11778
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:51 pm
Location: Never a FarCry from here...

Re: The Pope bites the dust...

Postby Delilah » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Oh I don't despute that, the cover up was inexcusable, no question, and without comparisson to anything else it was sickening. Yes it's the same organization, a lot of people should have gone to jail for that, regardless of who they happened to be. I'm still not sure why that didn't happen. As the cover up was exposed, why was it not out of Vatican hands? Either way, no excuses, no anything but utter revulsion. Child abuse happens all over, had they just done the right thing about it it wouldn't have reflected on the church. That they didn't, was just horrifying, it's absolutely right that this will never go away.

I'm saying that the guy in the link was sacked for a perfectly valid reason and in any other job you would all agree. If you don't think it's fair priests have to be celibate fine, don't become one or step down when you find it too difficult, but those are the rules, you have to follow them, just like any other job.


I think the whole thing is disturbing, the anti-sex thing is probably the most disturbing aspect. I (fairly or not) often assume that the gay priest joined the priesthood because he and his family cannot handle the idea of him being gay because the church has told them that God is anti-gay. And that's probably true 99% of the time, even now in the year 2010. But yes, we agree on the whole scandal.
User avatar
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:13 pm
Location: USA

PreviousNext

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests