What is worse? Bullying or watching it happen

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

What is worse? Bullying or watching it happen

Postby Mad MikeSpit » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:15 am

Has anyone heard the music of this Brisbane singer? She is currently touring US. She is popular in Oz, but not sure if she has made it in the UK.

Her current album ("Curiouser") is brilliant, very strong lyrically.

She released a song called "Caught in the Crowd" about bullying (and not sticking up for a friend because she was "dumb & proud", which will no doubt hit a nerve with a lot of us, which has been getting a lot of attention here. Anyway, here is her video clip - be interested in others views on it.

Last edited by Mad MikeSpit on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad MikeSpit
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Re: Kate Miller-Heidke

Postby Mad MikeSpit » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:47 am

And I forgot to mention, she also sites Queen as her major influence. (Have a listen to Politics in Space, there is a distinct Brian May riff towards the end of the song!)
Mad MikeSpit
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Re: Kate Miller-Heidke

Postby Mad MikeSpit » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 am

lol... so noone has a view on this then? :?:
Mad MikeSpit
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Re: What is worse? Bullying or watching it happen

Postby Mad MikeSpit » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:30 am

Ok.... the song "Caught in the Crowd" describes someone who watched a friend being bullied, but walked away instead of helping. She talks about how she was "dumb and proud" at the time and knows better now she is older. The song is being used to raise awareness at schools about this issue.

I think it is a good approach to addressing bullying, by targetting those who watch it happen but don't step in - it almost assumes their role is just as bad as the bullying itself.

Thoughts?

(can the mods move this to ITTWWC please)
Mad MikeSpit
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby Delilah » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:10 am

Sorry, we were all busy discussing homeopathy, killer whales, pissed off black dogs, and astral travel.

I've tried to teach my kids to stand up to bullying no matter who the target is. My son has surprised me by actually doing that a couple of times, once even standing up for a girl whom he doesn't even like. Peer pressure is a bitch, but I guess it really does matter what you teach your child at home. Wow, sometimes I wonder if he ever hears a word I say and then he goes and makes me proud like that.

I have noticed that schools here seem to be taking bullying a bit more seriously than they did when I was a kid. Oh hell, who am I kidding? The teachers and school administrators completely ignored bullying in my school. I don't even think they had a rule about it. There was a very pervasive 'survival of the fittest' attitude. I recall a couple of teachers who seemed to want to relive their own high school days to the point where they'd be 'buddies' with the popular kids and ignore or show distaste towards the misfits. Incredibly unprofessional, but I doubt this was an unusual phenomenon.
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Mad MikeSpit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:55 am

Delilah wrote:Sorry, we were all busy discussing homeopathy, killer whales, pissed off black dogs, and astral travel.

I've tried to teach my kids to stand up to bullying no matter who the target is. My son has surprised me by actually doing that a couple of times, once even standing up for a girl whom he doesn't even like. Peer pressure is a bitch, but I guess it really does matter what you teach your child at home. Wow, sometimes I wonder if he ever hears a word I say and then he goes and makes me proud like that.

I have noticed that schools here seem to be taking bullying a bit more seriously than they did when I was a kid. Oh hell, who am I kidding? The teachers and school administrators completely ignored bullying in my school. I don't even think they had a rule about it. There was a very pervasive 'survival of the fittest' attitude. I recall a couple of teachers who seemed to want to relive their own high school days to the point where they'd be 'buddies' with the popular kids and ignore or show distaste towards the misfits. Incredibly unprofessional, but I doubt this was an unusual phenomenon.

That is quite impressive that your son did that - it takes a lot of courage to do that - I mean, even adults have difficulty doing it.

I think that song was written with support from the Educational Dept. Kate Miller-Heidke is very popular with teens here, so to have her song analysed and discussed in school would make quite a good impression on the kids - it was a very smart move. I think it would be unheard of for schools not to have bullying policies nowadays, but extended it to witnesses is taking it one step further and a good way of addressing the issue.

But yeah, but in our time at school, bullying was almost acceptable behaviour in society as well (work, etc), and you were told that it was character building! Of course, now it get's complicated with cyber bullying (although you'd think it would be easier to jump in and defend someone online).
Mad MikeSpit
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby noone » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Delilah wrote:Sorry, we were all busy discussing homeopathy, killer whales, pissed off black dogs, and astral travel.

Columbine changed all that I think. Plus from what I hear kids saying today bullying is a lot worse these days. Girls can be especiallly vicious.
Your son sounds like a good guy!
noone
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby Delilah » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Autumngirl wrote:Columbine changed all that I think. Plus from what I hear kids saying today bullying is a lot worse these days. Girls can be especiallly vicious.
Your son sounds like a good guy!

Now if only I can get the kid to pee IN the toilet and not all around it. :P

Yeah, Columbine was a serious wake-up call.
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby WeeMann » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Delilah wrote:Now if only I can get the kid to pee IN the toilet and not all around it. :P

That'll never happen. It's a territory thing - Alpha Male and all that.
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
WeeMann

Postby Mad MikeSpit » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 am

Posted in the news today:

Zero tolerance for bullying:
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says there should be a national policy of zero tolerance for bullying in schools, with powers for principals and teachers to intervene.
Mr Rudd also says it would be appropriate for victims' parents to contact the families of bullies.
He told ABC Local Brisbane he has spoken with the Alannah and Madeline Foundation, which is a charity to protect children from violence.
"This is a campaign we are working on with [the foundation] right across Australia with a view to getting into every school," Mr Rudd said.
"We have a policy of saying no to any form of bullying and that we have powers given to teachers and principals to step in.
"And if it comes to it and you've got to actually pick up the phone and talk to the parent and other kid, I would say there's nothing wrong with that at all."
Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce agrees that schools are facing significant issues with bullying.
Also speaking to ABC Local Brisbane, he said there is a fear factor among parents about psychological torment that is "noxious and dangerous".
He says the issue needs to be addressed at a national and state level.
"It's a big issue. It is quickly getting to an issue where the state governments in some instances and some areas have lost control of their schools," said Senator Joyce.
"We have teachers who just say, well we can't do anything, we are supposed to go in there and yell at students 'stop, stop, stop'.
"How does that help you if you are getting pummelled?"

No way! Victim parents contacting the parents of bullies is a BAD idea. I don't want to generalise, but in my personal experience, parents of bullies aren't typically nice people and would not usually be "understanding" if you were to contact them directly (usually explains why the kid is a bully in the first place!). Such a meeting should always be facilitated via a 3rd party - there are countless stories where this has escalated into a serious violent situation. Kevin Rudd has completely missed the mark on this one.
Mad MikeSpit
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby noone » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:44 am

Mad MikeSpit wrote:

No way! Victim parents contacting the parents of bullies is a BAD idea. I don't want to generalise, but in my personal experience, parents of bullies aren't typically nice people and would not usually be "understanding" if you were to contact them directly (usually explains why the kid is a bully in the first place!). Such a meeting should always be facilitated via a 3rd party - there are countless stories where this has escalated into a serious violent situation. Kevin Rudd has completely missed the mark on this one.

Your absolutely right.
noone
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?