Time to ban idiots from keeping dogs?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Time to ban idiots from keeping dogs?

Postby fairydandy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:50 pm

This sort of thing can't continue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8534086.stm

The dog being attacked is a guide dog for the blind.

Sickening. :(
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Time to ban idiots from keeping dogs?

Postby fairydandy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:53 pm

Sickening to all human beings that is. I don't include those who support fox hunting, as this sort of thing is clearly what makes them happy.
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby _Bijou_ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:57 pm

No-one can blame the dog. The owner is always 100% to blame. That's why it upsets me when I hear the animal has been 'destroyed'. If it had been trained and cared for properly there is less chance of something like that happening. I can't bring myself to watch the video as I can imagine what it's like and that moron should never be allowed animals again let alone dogs.

I hate irresponsible owners like that. A dog went for me the other week and the man with it didn't really do anything but something is obviously wrong there for it to attack in the first place. I've had dogs all my life and not one of them has attacked another dog or person, because we train them properly.

I mentioned here when a dog fight was happening in my street. Two women were walking a Collie and a man with a Staffie came along and his dog went for theirs and it was really nasty. His solution - beat the life out of his dog which only made it more aggressive. B*****ds like that should not be allowed anywhere near animals.
_Bijou_
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Lord Pastieman.Steve » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:23 pm

_Bijou_ wrote:No-one can blame the dog. The owner is always 100% to blame.

Not totally true Bijou, some of it is down to breeding aswell, dogs do have their own personalities just like us humans, and some of them cant be trained. Please don't get me wrong, most of it is down to how we treat and train our dogs, but as with anything else in life there are always the odd few bad apples :)
Lord Pastieman.Steve
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Leader of the cronies, allegedly LMAO. Just call me Grandad

Postby Ace » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:29 pm

_Bijou_ wrote:No-one can blame the dog. The owner is always 100% to blame. That's why it upsets me when I hear the animal has been 'destroyed'. If it had been trained and cared for properly there is less chance of something like that happening. I can't bring myself to watch the video as I can imagine what it's like and that moron should never be allowed animals again let alone dogs.

I hate irresponsible owners like that. A dog went for me the other week and the man with it didn't really do anything but something is obviously wrong there for it to attack in the first place. I've had dogs all my life and not one of them has attacked another dog or person, because we train them properly.

I mentioned here when a dog fight was happening in my street. Two women were walking a Collie and a man with a Staffie came along and his dog went for theirs and it was really nasty. His solution - beat the life out of his dog which only made it more aggressive. B*****ds like that should not be allowed anywhere near animals.

Whereas I agree with you on the whole, dogs are pack animals and some, no matter how well trained or cared for, can attack without notice. It obviously can't be a dogs fault becasue they do not have the ability for rational thought, but sometimes a dog is just too dangerous to be around people. Hence they have to be destroyed. The problem is, the first time is usually the last time so the first you know that your dog is a potential killer is when it has tried to kill.

I've always been wary of all dogs, regardless of the breed.

However, I accept that in most instances it is the owner to blame.
Ace
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby _Bijou_ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Ace wrote:
_Bijou_ wrote:No-one can blame the dog. The owner is always 100% to blame. That's why it upsets me when I hear the animal has been 'destroyed'. If it had been trained and cared for properly there is less chance of something like that happening. I can't bring myself to watch the video as I can imagine what it's like and that moron should never be allowed animals again let alone dogs.

Whereas I agree with you on the whole, dogs are pack animals and some, no matter how well trained or cared for, can attack without notice. It obviously can't be a dogs fault becasue they do not have the ability for rational thought, but sometimes a dog is just too dangerous to be around people. Hence they have to be destroyed. The problem is, the first time is usually the last time so the first you know that your dog is a potential killer is when it has tried to kill.

I've always been wary of all dogs, regardless of the breed.

However, I accept that in most instances it is the owner to blame.

Yes well I agree there. It's just I've never had that much trouble with dogs be it my own or somebody else's. I know dogs can be nasty however tame they may appear. We had a Doberman about 10 years ago and she was the sweetest thing. My sister was a baby at the time and she would walk around her so carefully.

There may be dogs you just cannot tame but most of the time, the owner is solely to blame.
_Bijou_
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Ace » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:56 pm

_Bijou_ wrote:We had a Doberman about 10 years ago and she was the sweetest thing. My sister was a baby at the time and she would walk around her so carefully.

This is the thing that worries me. There are 1,000s of Dobermans, Alsatians, Staffies etc out there that have always behaved themselves. As a result, people then assume that they are safe around children and that children can be safely left alone with such dogs. But in all honesty, they can't.

Every dog that attacks a small child has never done it before. If it had it would have been destroyed. So, a dog can appear to be good with children for years and then one-day it snaps. No-one knows why. It's probably something deep in their genetics.

And then the owner will tell the local paper, TV and all that will listen that "he's never done it before". My advice is to always supervise children with dogs, particularly dogs that have a breed background in hunting.
Ace
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby _Bijou_ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Please don't misunderstand me. We didn't leave my sister on the floor hoping nothing would happen. But on the odd occasion my sister was being changed for example, Gemma (the dog) would be so careful but we didn't take advantage of that. We wouldn't leave the dog alone with her. I know people that do that and they have their children poking and pulling the dog about and I am surprised nothing happens to them.
_Bijou_
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Ace wrote:Every dog that attacks a small child has never done it before. If it had it would have been destroyed. So, a dog can appear to be good with children for years and then one-day it snaps. No-one knows why. It's probably something deep in their genetics.

And then the owner will tell the local paper, TV and all that will listen that "he's never done it before". My advice is to always supervise children with dogs, particularly dogs that have a breed background in hunting.

You'll notice I was very careful to keep an eye on your hound when we visited with the kids. Not that I don't trust you to raise a good dog, but you just never know.
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
WeeMann

Postby Ace » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 pm

WeeMann wrote:
Ace wrote:Every dog that attacks a small child has never done it before. If it had it would have been destroyed. So, a dog can appear to be good with children for years and then one-day it snaps. No-one knows why. It's probably something deep in their genetics.

You'll notice I was very careful to keep an eye on your hound when we visited with the kids. Not that I don't trust you to raise a good dog, but you just never know.

Very wise. I noticed he had his eyes on the chocolate flapjack that your daughter was eating. lol

All joking apart, Rascal hates the postman. Can't for the life of me understand why because he's such a placid dog.
Ace
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Ace wrote:All joking apart, Rascal hates the postman. Can't for the life of me understand why because he's such a placid dog.

I honestly couldn't see him not liking anyone :shock:
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
WeeMann

Postby Lord Pastieman.Steve » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:47 pm

No dog is 100% safe no matter how good he/she is with adults and children, our dog is as stupid and soft as they come, but you never can tell what might make them change, especially as they get older.
Lord Pastieman.Steve
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Leader of the cronies, allegedly LMAO. Just call me Grandad

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:42 pm

And then there are those notorious breeds who have violent temperments in the first place. That's not the dog's fault, it's the fault of any person who would breed such an animal for money in the first place.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Delilah » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Lord Pastieman.Steve wrote:
_Bijou_ wrote:No-one can blame the dog. The owner is always 100% to blame.

Not totally true Bijou, some of it is down to breeding aswell, dogs do have their own personalities just like us humans, and some of them cant be trained. Please don't get me wrong, most of it is down to how we treat and train our dogs, but as with anything else in life there are always the odd few bad apples :)

That's true. I coddled my dog for 17 years, but he was part pit bull. I couldn't take him to the park because he was too aggressive around other dogs. I had to practically sit on him when I'd take him to the vet if there was anyone else in the waiting room. And yes, I eventually got a vet who understood and made sure that I could just bring him on back whenever I scheduled him an appointment. He was a sweetheart, but you can't always overcome breeding. My responsibility as a dog owner was to keep him from being in situations where he would come in contact with unfamiliar dogs.

Funny part is that when he was 7 years old, I discovered by accident that he only got aggressive around other dogs if he was with me. Other people could take him anywhere and he'd behave spectacularly well. If I took him, he went into protective mode and completely lost his mind.
Last edited by Delilah on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Delilah » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Oh, and don't anyone start...I didn't intentionally get a pit bull. He was a poor lost little puppy with long ears and big hound dog eyes when I found him. He didn't start out all badass and muscular. I've gotta say that I'd never own another pit bull, though. Loved him dearly, but I did not enjoy him attempting to attack bears, Mastiffs, Dobermans, Rotties, etc. when I'd take him on a leash for walks. Made me too much of a target. I tried to explain that we'd both get our asses whipped if he didn't tone down the attitude. :P
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?