Killer Whale Killers Trainer

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Killer Whale Killers Trainer

Postby Lord Pastieman.Steve » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:18 pm

This I guess is in a simular vain to the dog attacking thread, but a killer Whale at Seaworld has killed its trainer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8535696.stm

Question is should we humans be keeping these animals in captivity for our own pleasure and are these animals safe to do what we want with, ie. cuddle, stroke and train them?

My opinion is no we shouldn't, there is only one place for them and that is in the sea, out in the wild where they belong. As much as we like to see them it is unfair on the animal in this case a killer whale which is being kept in a very small place, with little room to swim about.
I love to see animals and photograph them, but only if they have good living conditions with plenty of space for them to roam about in, not caged up in small areas with no room to move about.

This whale was thought to be tamed and trained, just like many dogs that attack people, and just like many dogs this whale proved today that it wasn't tamed at all and treated its trainer the same as it would a sea lion that it had caught in the wild.
With animals such as these, isn't it about time we let them be free to swim in the open sea and once and for all we realised that they are WILD ANIMALS and not our play things just there for our entertainment?
Lord Pastieman.Steve
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Leader of the cronies, allegedly LMAO. Just call me Grandad

Re: Killer Whale Killers Trainer

Postby Delilah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:23 pm

We're wild animals too, if you use violence against other creatures as criteria for what's wild and what isn't.

It's more that they're really intelligent creatures who have minds of their own and are probably mentally damaged by being kept in captivity away from their natural family structures. For goodness sakes, Orcas even have individual names for one another.

I do find it disturbing that we take such intelligent and fabulous creatures and use them as clowns for our own amusement.
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm

I feel really bad about that trainer and I also feel very bad for that Orca. You can see by that video that it was being kept in damn near a sardine can for it's size. It's one of the largest ones I've seen, other than maybe another huge male at Seaworld who was also attacking it's trainer.

I think, perhaps, it's Seaworld's fault or at least a major part of it, because they don't provide these animals with enough room plus the animals each have lost their family -- their pod, and no amount of other orcas from anywhere is going to make up for the loss of it's family.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Lord Pastieman.Steve » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:42 pm

I agree with you Dee, we are also wild animals, but we are left to roam freely and do what we want unless we are banged up in prison for breaking the law in some way (and even then people have all mod con's but that's for another thread), which is totally different from the very small surroundings that these whales have to live in. An Orca can swim 100's of miles a day but instead we keep them in nothing bigger than a king size fish tank, so is it right to keep them in these conditions? Its like us living in a room no bigger than a small bathroom with nothing in it and let out every few hours just to perform for monkeys.

Don't get me wrong, some places do some great work and help keep many endangered animals to survive through breeding programmes.

One thing that always baffles me is that wetsuits are nearly always black (or the main colour is), maybe this whale forgot its "place" and just saw a black thing (the trainer) and mistook her as a seal, hence this accident, killer whales don't attack man hence why I think this. IF this is the reason for this attack, then maybe if we must keep these friendly giants in captivity for our amusement then we should wear different colour wetsuits so as not to look like their natural food.
Lord Pastieman.Steve
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Delilah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Lord Pastieman.Steve wrote:I agree with you Dee, we are also wild animals, but we are left to roam freely and do what we want unless we are banged up in prison for breaking the law in some way (and even then people have all mod con's but that's for another thread), which is totally different from the very small surroundings that these whales have to live in. An Orca can swim 100's of miles a day but instead we keep them in nothing bigger than a king size fish tank, so is it right to keep them in these conditions? Its like us living in a room no bigger than a small bathroom with nothing in it and let out every few hours just to perform for monkeys.

Don't get me wrong, some places do some great work and help keep many endangered animals to survive through breeding programmes.

One thing that always baffles me is that wetsuits are nearly always black (or the main colour is), maybe this whale forgot its "place" and just saw a black thing (the trainer) and mistook her as a seal, hence this accident, killer whales don't attack man hence why I think this. IF this is the reason for this attack, then maybe if we must keep these friendly giants in captivity for our amusement then we should wear different colour wetsuits so as not to look like their natural food.

Which makes what we do to the orcas even worse than jailing a human, I agree. They don't belong in a fish tank. I'm against it too. I have all kinds of issues with Sea World. I don't know that it would have mattered what color her wetsuit was, honestly. They are the kind of animal that learns from parents and family members what to eat and how to hunt. They have to be trained for that by family. This orca wasn't fed like a free one in the ocean. He didn't attack seals to eat. He may have meant to do her harm for some reason (possibly mental instability, for all I know maybe he just looked at her and thought "what the hell am I doing letting this tiny animal boss me around?"). They are smart enough to go nuts. This also isn't his first time attacking a human being. They absolutely do attack humans, but it usually is in this kind of theme park environment. We don't live in the ocean where we would risk attack by them on a regular basis. They would be natural predators, like tigers, if we shared an environment.

My thoughts are that if you enter into a relationship with an animal that can easily eat you, you have to understand that you're risking your life. She probably did understand this, and was willing to take that risk.
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Lord Pastieman.Steve wrote:I agree with you Dee, we are also wild animals, but we are left to roam freely and do what we want unless we are banged up in prison for breaking the law in some way (and even then people have all mod con's but that's for another thread), which is totally different from the very small surroundings that these whales have to live in. An Orca can swim 100's of miles a day but instead we keep them in nothing bigger than a king size fish tank, so is it right to keep them in these conditions? Its like us living in a room no bigger than a small bathroom with nothing in it and let out every few hours just to perform for monkeys.

This particular orca has killed twice before. Once another trainer/student and a homeless individual who decided to go swim with the orcas.

This orca also PULLED this latest trainer off the side of the tank and into the water. I don't know what wetsuit she was wearing at the time she was standing/walking by the tank but their wetsuits are black and white, just like an orca.

My beef right now is why in the HELL did they continue putting an animal like this out in public or with trainers on probably a daily basis when it is already a proven killer. (no pun intended)
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Lord Pastieman.Steve » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Innuendoes wrote:. I don't know what wetsuit she was wearing at the time she was standing/walking by the tank but their wetsuits are black and white, just like an orca.

The film clips we are being shown over here is of her (from the past) wearing a black/red wetsuit, not that it makes much difference.
Lord Pastieman.Steve
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:48 pm

Lord Pastieman.Steve wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:. I don't know what wetsuit she was wearing at the time she was standing/walking by the tank but their wetsuits are black and white, just like an orca.

The film clips we are being shown over here is of her (from the past) wearing a black/red wetsuit, not that it makes much difference.

Unfortunately, the music with this video wreaks. I don't believe this is the same orca, though.

When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Delilah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Disturbing. That looked fairly deliberate, didn't it?

But hey now...Eminem rocks. That music was excellent. :P
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Of course it was deliberate. They're a predator animal. It's like a house cat, in a way. The cat sees it's prey outside the window and it wishes it could kill, just for the sake of killing because that's what cats do. When it can't, it makes up things to chase and kill or plays with it's toys, fairly rough. Same thing with the orca, IMHO. It gets a wild hair to play with it's "food" or it gets angry for some reason and doesn't feel like playing but the trainers have to try and make them play. You get one or two on occasion who just don't want to play that day. They get pissed off and say "fuck it", I'm not playing, leave me alone!" then attack.

Unfortunately, this woman was in the wrong place at the wrong time, yesterday. She was one of their best trainers. At least she died doing what she loved. That doesn't make me feel any better about it, though.
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Delilah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:16 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Of course it was deliberate. They're a predator animal. It's like a house cat, in a way. The cat sees it's prey outside the window and it wishes it could kill, just for the sake of killing because that's what cats do. When it can't, it makes up things to chase and kill or plays with it's toys, fairly rough. Same thing with the orca, IMHO. It gets a wild hair to play with it's "food" or it gets angry for some reason and doesn't feel like playing but the trainers have to try and make them play. You get one or two on occasion who just don't want to play that day. They get pissed off and say "fuck it", I'm not playing, leave me alone!" then attack.

Yep, that sounds about right. Didn't some of the reports say that he was being "obstinate" during the show?
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Not that particular orca from yesterday. I think you are confusing the one from yesterday with the one in the video I posted. The one that killed yesterday wasn't even used with a trainer in the water as I understand it. He is too big, for one thing. I believe he's mainly used to splash the viewers. :roll: How noble of us all to trap an animal, that gorgeous and that intelligent and force it to live in a little box of water only to come out every day, splash people and go back to bed. :-|
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Delilah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Not that particular orca from yesterday. I think you are confusing the one from yesterday with the one in the video I posted. The one that killed yesterday wasn't even used with a trainer in the water as I understand it. He is too big, for one thing. I believe he's mainly used to splash the viewers. :roll: How noble of us all to trap an animal, that gorgeous and that intelligent and force it to live in a little box of water only to come out every day, splash people and go back to bed. :-|

Oh no, I knew it wasn't the same orca. I'm just talking about the behavior of the one in the video and comparing it to the reports of the one who killed the trainer.

But yeah, isn't it just wonderful to treat such a magnificent animal that way?
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Elessar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Shamu, motherfucker!
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Hmmm, this is interesting. None of the orcas wanted to perform at the end of the show -- when this incident happened? Hmmm...

When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Next

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?