Earth quakes

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: Earth quakes

Postby Delilah » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Elessar wrote:
Delilah wrote:Really interesting article, Inny.

Innuendoes wrote:NASA scientists also say that the earthquake in Chile shortened the length of an Earth day.

That's the kind of statement that makes your brain hurt.

It's only a matter of milliseconds though.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/1003 ... orter_days

Oh no, I get it. Makes perfect sense and I understood it before looking it up earlier, but doesn't that sentence just make the gray matter twinge for a microsecond or two?
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Elessar wrote:
Well yeah - Newtonian physics got bitch-slapped by Einstein's theory of relativity, which itself is being given a run for its money by quantum theory and string theory.

But Newtonian physics is still useful and perfectly accurate when dealing with most everyday physics problems, and relativity will be perfectly useful if we ever start flying at close to the speed of light. In fact it is already necessary to make sure that satellites are synchronised in time with the Earth.

So the short answer is that relativity isn't a perfectly correct theory of everything, but it's pretty good for most uses. And time dilation has been proven multiple times.

Yeah and you kinda need people to form a theory before it can be proven or disproven, even if Newton and Einstein had both been completely off base, it would have been one possibility down. Relativity came up in class a few weeks ago, there are few things funnier than the completely blank look it prompted from about 90% of the class.

I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Er.. geee, I sure am glad Crisstti survived the earthquakes. :?
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:02 pm

When the New Madrid fault goes, that's it. :shock:
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby noone » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Innuendoes wrote:When the New Madrid fault goes, that's it. :shock:

I live along that one. I brushed off all the panic talk with the other two but now I'm thinking it might be time to make sure I've got some up-to-date supplies (water etc) and only hope I can get to them if something happens!
noone
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:01 am

I wouldn't worry too much. We haven't had any more earthquakes this year than normal. It's just that we've had quite a few in quick succession, and the ones we've had have had high death tolls. There's no evidence of an overall increase in seismic activity.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... qstats.php
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

Autumngirl wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:When the New Madrid fault goes, that's it. :shock:

I live along that one. I brushed off all the panic talk with the other two but now I'm thinking it might be time to make sure I've got some up-to-date supplies (water etc) and only hope I can get to them if something happens!

I used to live along it as well. When my son was in grade school, they were having earthquake drills all the time, just in case.

If that thing ever goes like the ones in 1811, there will be no more bridges across the Mississippi, St Louis will be virtually gone and I would imagine whole towns along the river will be washed away.

Have you ever read the accountings of people who witnessed those 1811 & 1812 earthquakes and what it did? WOAH!
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby noone » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:37 am

Elessar wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. We haven't had any more earthquakes this year than normal. It's just that we've had quite a few in quick succession, and the ones we've had have had high death tolls. There's no evidence of an overall increase in seismic activity.

Well I know. We do get little ones periodically though. Ones we don't even feel most of the time. I've heard that they strike most often if the ground is over saturated which ours is and when it goes from cold to warm which it is right now! We had a 4. something about two years ago this time that followed with about 3 small aftershocks when conditions where the same. That was a weird one. Normally in the past an earthquake would happen so fast you were left wondering afterwords "was that an earthquake?" This one lasted longer than a minute and was so even! I had time to wake up, wonder why the tv and tv stand were making noise shaking, realize it was an earthquake and sit there and debate with myself if I should get up and wake everyone up and get out or not? It ended before I was done debating LOL! I don't get too freaked out about much anymore though. If one hits there is nothing I can do about it ahead of time. All I can do is make sure I have water and hope I can get to it.
edit: Did I say 4. something? It was more like a 5. something actually!
noone
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 am

Autumngirl wrote:
Elessar wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. We haven't had any more earthquakes this year than normal. It's just that we've had quite a few in quick succession, and the ones we've had have had high death tolls. There's no evidence of an overall increase in seismic activity.

Well I know. We do get little ones periodically though. Ones we don't even feel most of the time. I've heard that they strike most often if the ground is over saturated which ours is and when it goes from cold to warm which it is right now! We had a 4. something about two years ago this time that followed with about 3 small aftershocks when conditions where the same. That was a weird one. Normally in the past an earthquake would happen so fast you were left wondering afterwords "was that an earthquake?" This one lasted longer than a minute and was so even! I had time to wake up, wonder why the tv and tv stand were making noise shaking, realize it was an earthquake and sit there and debate with myself if I should get up and wake everyone up and get out or not? It ended before I was done debating LOL! I don't get too freaked out about much anymore though. If one hits there is nothing I can do about it ahead of time. All I can do is make sure I have water and hope I can get to it.
edit: Did I say 4. something? It was more like a 5. something actually!

I'm sure I heard once that the UK has the highest incidence of earthquakes in the world. But we only get rubbishy little ones.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby noone » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:51 am

Not rubbish at all. Very lucky! Wanna see which one I live near!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 1-1812.php
noone
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:11 pm

I don't understand UK earthquakes. Most of them we don't feel, fair enough, but the odd one we have done in the passed few years, have been reported as being 5. somethings, but all we got was a vague tremor! Like one house in Derby was damaged in one about eight years ago and that was supposed to be 5.8! Are we working on a different scale to the rest of the world?

I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Two more earthquakes hit Chile, this morning. The first quake had a preliminary magnitude of 5.1 and the second registered at 7.2, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Buildings in the capital swayed, windows shook and visiting dignitaries arriving for ceremonies smiled nervously at the congressional building in coastal Valparaiso, The Associated Press reported.
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Previous

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?