Earth quakes

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: Earth quakes

Postby _Bijou_ » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:43 am

I can't believe Sky News had a video link and a banner across the screen stating: Tsnaumi expected shortly. As if a head of state was about to arrive.

:roll:
_Bijou_
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby noone » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:03 am

Martin1988 wrote:Chile is a deeply Catholic country. Explain that, Pat Robertson

I'm sure he was very disappointed that Hawaii didn't get hit after all. I'm sure he was writing a good zinger today about the Hawaii/Obama connection for his next show.
I'm sure he can salvage it though and give the birthers hope and say that this only proves he wasn't born in Hawaii!

8.8 I can't even imagine! I saw a video of some stationary camera of a gate. That thing shook hard!!!
noone
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby Crisstti » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

"You can be anything you want to be".
Crisstti
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby lord of all darkness. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:21 pm

LittleBabyNothing wrote:First, Japan...
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiap ... index.html

...and then Chile...
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/ameri ... index.html

Now all that's missing are some volcano eruptions.

December 21, 2012 is almost two years away, it can't be starting now, can it?! :shock:

:P :P

I was thinking of posting something similar. I think we're dooooomed.
lord of all darkness.
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Crisstti wrote:http://www.emol.com/especiales/2010/coberturas-especiales/terremoto-en-chile/fotos.htm

Thanks, Crisstti! I'm glad you are ok! :wink:
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Chile Earthquake Moved Entire City 10 Feet WestUpdated: 7 hours 21 minutes ago
Print Text Size E-mail More
David Knowles
Writer

AOL News (March 8) -- Last month's earthquake did more than kill hundreds and devastate a large swath of Chile. It also hurtled the entire city of Concepcion 10 feet to the west, according researchers at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Using precise GPS measurements taken before and after the magnitude-8.8 earthquake, associate researchers Benjamin Brooks and James Foster discovered the dramatic shift. They say that the colliding tectonic plates of the Chilean subduction zone are responsible for the earthquake and the sudden westward trajectory of Concepcion.

"Before the quake, there were about 50 to 100 GPS stations throughout South America," Brooks told AOL News. "We're hoping to add an additional 25 to 35 more."

Silvia Izquierdo, AP
A man rests at a camp for earthquake survivors in Concepcion, Chile, on Monday. Scientists said last month's magnitude-8.8 earthquake shifted Concepcion 10 feet to the west.

Brooks is heading up the United States' GPS response to the earthquake, which consists of sharing data with other scientists and trying to establish the most detailed picture possible of how subduction zones affect the movement of the Earth's surface.

"On average," Brooks said, "Concepcion creeps slowly to the east, about 30 centimeters each year." That movement is a result of the Nazca plate crashing into and diving under the South American plate, the same geologic event that, over time, has built up the Andean mountain range.

But the Feb. 27 earthquake resulted in the top plate bucking back in the other direction, Brooks said.

"Aside from the the devastation and the tragedy being experienced by the people of Chile, this quake will probably become the most studied in history," Brooks said.

Brooks and Foster say that while Concepcion was the location that experience the greatest movement as it was so close to the epicenter of the earthquake, the Earth shifted its GPS coordinates in several other spots, too. Santiago, the nation's capital, was found to have moved 11 inches to the west-southwest.

NASA scientists also say that the earthquake in Chile shortened the length of an Earth day.
Filed under: World, Science

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/08/chile ... 9388292%2F
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Delilah » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Really interesting article, Inny.

Innuendoes wrote:NASA scientists also say that the earthquake in Chile shortened the length of an Earth day.

That's the kind of statement that makes your brain hurt.
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Delilah wrote:Really interesting article, Inny.

Innuendoes wrote:NASA scientists also say that the earthquake in Chile shortened the length of an Earth day.

It's only a matter of milliseconds though.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/1003 ... orter_days
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm

It's beyond that, it's one of those where you just go fine, that's perfectly normal, I agree. :P

I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:

It's beyond that, it's one of those where you just go fine, that's perfectly normal, I agree. :P

I'm far happier going along with the day being a negligible number of milliseconds shorter than I am with the perfectly correct physics in '39!
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Elessar wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:I'm far happier going along with the day being a negligible number of milliseconds shorter than I am with the perfectly correct physics in '39!

There's physics in 39'? :lol: No I'm alright with shortened days actually, the physics isn't too complicated, shifting masses make earth move faster by tiny amount, fair enough. It sounds amazing though doesn't it, days made shorter by earthquake.

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:I'm far happier going along with the day being a negligible number of milliseconds shorter than I am with the perfectly correct physics in '39!

There's physics in 39'? :lol: No I'm alright with shortened days actually, the physics isn't too complicated, shifting masses make earth move faster by tiny amount, fair enough. It sounds amazing though doesn't it, days made shorter by earthquake.

It's all about physics! The Earth has run out of resources so a bunch of scientists pack their bags and make sure they've got plenty of pens, and fly off looking for a new planet. A year later they return, having presumably discovered Pandora full of blue people, but when they return, 100 years have passed on Earth, because they were travelling at speeds close to the speed of light so relativity starts to kick in.

I even worked out the physics once:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29969

I'm not sure what got split and moved to Good Company, but I seem to remember people getting offended by science. Some things never change!
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:02 pm

I've just realised my answer was probably wrong, because the song says that the astronauts found a new world, so that means they must have stopped for a while. As Brian neglects to tell us how long they were chilling out on the new planet for, we can never know what speed they were travelling at.

If we knew that, we could even work out how far away the new planet was, and possibly even identify the planet!
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:06 pm

See that's how you know you're a nerd, I just assumed they'd been Alien-style hyper sleeping, hence the time difference. :lol:

The physics explanation makes more sense though. I like the idea of Brian trying to explain pitch that to the rest of the band.

"It's about what?"

"Relativity, look at this equation..."

"You know what Brian maybe you should sing this one yourself..."

Isn't the whole relativity thing somewhat doubted these days?

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:See that's how you know you're a nerd, I just assumed they'd been Alien-style hyper sleeping, hence the time difference. :lol:

The physics explanation makes more sense though. I like the idea of Brian trying to explain pitch that to the rest of the band.

"It's about what?"

"Relativity, look at this equation..."

"You know what Brian maybe you should sing this one yourself..."

Isn't the whole relativity thing somewhat doubted these days?

Well yeah - Newtonian physics got bitch-slapped by Einstein's theory of relativity, which itself is being given a run for its money by quantum theory and string theory.

But Newtonian physics is still useful and perfectly accurate when dealing with most everyday physics problems, and relativity will be perfectly useful if we ever start flying at close to the speed of light. In fact it is already necessary to make sure that satellites are synchronised in time with the Earth.

So the short answer is that relativity isn't a perfectly correct theory of everything, but it's pretty good for most uses. And time dilation has been proven multiple times.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?