Jon Venables

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: Jon Venables

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:56 pm

These notorious murderers can't stay out of the news at the moment!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8583782.stm

I've said it before and I'll say it again: He looks like Jesus.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Guru » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:27 pm

JLP wrote: Yeah, if Huntley wants to kill himself then that is his choice.

This is interesting. On the one hand, our taxes keep paying for his medical care in addition to his living costs, and no doubt there were plenty of "an eye for an eye" merchants when he was found guilty.

But

If he did kill himself, there would be people who claimed he had somehow "dodged" his sentence. What would have been called "cheating the hangman" in earlier times.
Guru
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Guru wrote:
JLP wrote: Yeah, if Huntley wants to kill himself then that is his choice.

This is interesting. On the one hand, our taxes keep paying for his medical care in addition to his living costs, and no doubt there were plenty of "an eye for an eye" merchants when he was found guilty.

But

If he did kill himself, there would be people who claimed he had somehow "dodged" his sentence. What would have been called "cheating the hangman" in earlier times.

There is a moral dilemma of course. I doubt the savings made if he did kill himself would really make a difference to our tax bill. In a way Huntley is living a hellish existence because of his actions. Maybe he does deserve that. I don't really know. I doubt I would have the balls to try and slash his throat of throw boiling water over him. Therefore I feel no satisfaction that someone else did so.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:17 pm

He's never going to be released, so the only possible reason for keeping him locked up are to make him suffer, i.e. to exact revenge; or the hope that he might find some form of redemption. Well, that can't be forced on anyone, so if he wants to kill himself we should let him.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Maybe an option would be to re-introduce capital punishment and give the likes of Huntley the option of life or death. No innocent person would choose death but someone who knew they were undoubtably guilty with no chance of release might decide to let the state end his or her life.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 am

JLP wrote:Maybe an option would be to re-introduce capital punishment and give the likes of Huntley the option of life or death. No innocent person would choose death but someone who knew they were undoubtably guilty with no chance of release might decide to let the state end his or her life.

I don't know - an innocent person who has been found guilty and exhausted all appeals may well want to end their life.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Previous

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?