Absolute Shame on this Hospital

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: Absolute Shame on this Hospital

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:13 pm

"His mother said he needed medication three times a day to control his bodily fluids because of a pituitary gland problem. "

Elessar called that one weeks ago, back on page 2! viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55693&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=25

Elessar wrote:The article is so thin on facts that it's difficult to piece together what happened. It doesn't mention what kind of brain tumour he had, but if it was a pituitary tumour, that could have lead to Cushing's syndrome. Giving him too much fluid too quickly would have lead to cerebral oedema and death.
The fact that he was 22 and had a brain tumour and was in the hospital for a hip replacement doesn't suggest that he had a particularly positive prognosis either way, so I doubt this was a case of an otherwise healthy young man going into hospital and then dying of thirst because no one would give him a drink.
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby JLP » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Elessar wrote:I promised I'd post whenever there's news:

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news ... _hospital/

Still no real developments, but it sounds like he had the hypernatraemia the day before he dies, and that the nurse responsible for passing the message on went off duty. May or may not be true, but the story is getting slightly clearer.

Surely someone other than one member of staff should be checking lab results, especially if something like hypernatremia is suspected. We would get a phone call with an unusually abnormal result and the result would be on the computer systems too.
Come on You Tigers
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Delilah » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:39 pm

You people need to get with it and stop fucking up. Every time you guys have a hospital scandal, all I hear about is "And THIS is what Obamacare will get us!!"

Yes, I know, these dumbasses aren't even aware that our healthcare bill only gives insurance companies more customers and has no relation to true universal healthcare, but still...."that Kenyan wants to turn us into Europe where you'll have to wait six years for any surgery that you need and by then you could DIE!!!11!!11!!".

Straighten up. America needs you. :P
I'm a pretty c**t