Absolute Shame on this Hospital

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: Absolute Shame on this Hospital

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:31 am

I don't know what the incidence of bat bites are but I have never known anyone that was bitten. But then I don't know anyone who has handled bats, either. Once, when I was little, it was a bright hot sunny day and I came home to find a bat laying on it's back on our sidewalk and it was alive and still moving, but just barely. My mom came out and made me get away from it at once. That was probably the best thing she could do but that doesn't prove the bat was rabid.

There are a lot of misconceptions about bats and rabies is one of them. I don't know what kind of bat bit that little boy but I have never heard of any other type bat, other than a vampire bat, to have rabies.

Most animals don't carry rabies, they either have it or they don't. Skunks, on another note, can carrry rabies in their bodies for years and never come down with full blown rabies but they can give it to anyone they bite. This happened to a client of one of the doctors I worked for and the skunk was captive bred and had all it's vaccinations 2 years in a row. It was also strictly a house pet so it didn't come in contact with anyone outside. One day it just bit the boy and then died. It was rabid. Luckily for that boy, his parents just happened to drop in the clinic for something and mentioned to us that the skunk had bitten the boy and died. Doc asked him where the skunk was and they told us they had taken it outside and buried it. Doc went into a panic and told them to dig it up immediately and bring it in. They did and he sent the head off to be tested. Sure enough, it came back positive and the boy was hospitalized in time and didn't come down with the disease.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:36 am

Rabies is virtually unheard of over here, thankfully.
I'm safe even so, because I was vaccinated against it before a trip abroad. That vaccination was awful - it's 3 doses spread over a few weeks. The first was absolutely fine, but the second sent my arm into spasm for about 3 hours! The nurse said she had never seen anything like it in 40 years, and phoned up later to make sure I was okay! Weird. So, having just started to get over my hatred of needles, I went straight back to being terrified. Even now, 7 years later, I still absolutely despise them, but I'm trying to get over it by giving blood every 3 months. Urgh - hate doing that.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Loretta » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:37 am

Your blood is highly prized, Ellie. Especially by vampires.

Virgin.
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 am

Oh yes, and speaking of rabies and now thinking about it... Doc was also a spelunker and knew quite a few of them and he told me a person can get rabies if they go far enough down in the caves as rabies will live in the warm, moist stagnant air where bats live in the caves. So, yea, I am thinking that any species of bat can have rabies because it's a mammal. Most all spelunkers get rabies vaccinations and all veterinarians do as well.
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Loretta » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:41 am

Innuendoes wrote:Oh yes, and speaking of rabies and now thinking about it... Doc was also a spelunker and knew quite a few of them and he told me a person can get rabies if they go far enough down in the caves as rabies will live in the warm, moist stagnant air where bats live in the caves. So, yea, I am thinking that any species of bat can have rabies because it's a mammal. Most all spelunkers get rabies vaccinations and all veterinarians do as well.

I'm so glad you take all your advice from such well informed people. I shall herewith only stay in cold wet air (Britain, basically) to avoid encountering a raby.
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:50 am

Loretta wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Oh yes, and speaking of rabies and now thinking about it... Doc was also a spelunker and knew quite a few of them and he told me a person can get rabies if they go far enough down in the caves as rabies will live in the warm, moist stagnant air where bats live in the caves. So, yea, I am thinking that any species of bat can have rabies because it's a mammal. Most all spelunkers get rabies vaccinations and all veterinarians do as well.

I'm so glad you take all your advice from such well informed people. I shall herewith only stay in cold wet air (Britain, basically) to avoid encountering a raby.

LOL, that was probably the most experienced doctor I worked for and he was damned good. Both large and small animal, too. Not just dogs and cats. I learned a lot and I'll never forget what a great doc he was. His son has now taken his place but he still practices if his son needs him to fill in.

On another note, I was just reading that 1 person dies every 10 minutes from rabies. That's world-wide but it appears the statistics are showing most deaths are occuring in Africa and India. Geeeeez, as if those poor countries don't already have enough trouble.
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:57 am

When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:57 am

Bats are mammals, not rabies, right?
If rabies are mammals then somewhere along the line I've been seriously misinformed :lol:
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:58 am

Loretta wrote:Your blood is highly prized, Ellie. Especially by vampires.

Virgin.

I don't want to have to show you my lack of hymen, but I may have to!
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:58 am

Elessar wrote:

If rabies are mammals then somewhere along the line I've been seriously misinformed :lol:

Er.. ROTFLOL. Rabies is a disease of the central nervous system. :P
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:03 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:

Er.. ROTFLOL. Rabies is a disease of the central nervous system. :P

I know, I was making a joke because your post made it sound like you were saying rabies is a mammal. I know you weren't actually saying that. Rabies is caused by a virus, so doesn't actually 'live' anywhere.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:06 am

Elessar wrote:Bats are mammals, not rabies, right?

Er.. ROTFLOL. Rabies is a disease of the central nervous system. :P[/quote]

I know, I was making a joke because your post made it sound like you were saying rabies is a mammal. I know you weren't actually saying that. Rabies is caused by a virus, so doesn't actually 'live' anywhere.[/quote]

I would say it lives in the host animal but... :lol:
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Loretta » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:07 am

Elessar wrote:I know, I was making a joke because your post made it sound like you were saying rabies is a mammal. I know you weren't actually saying that. Rabies is caused by a virus, so doesn't actually 'live' anywhere.

Which was exactly the same joke I made, but mine was subtler. :P
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:08 am

I have these statistics up on my computer and in one small area or country, 93 children died of rabies in one day, exactly 1 year ago. Man!!

The biggest problem I see is that they don't have any vaccine for it there, nor do they have the medicine to treat it once the person is bitten. Why? I just don't get it.
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:09 am

Loretta wrote:
Elessar wrote:I know, I was making a joke because your post made it sound like you were saying rabies is a mammal. I know you weren't actually saying that. Rabies is caused by a virus, so doesn't actually 'live' anywhere.

Which was exactly the same joke I made, but mine was subtler. :P
Yea it was cause I didn't even realize it was a joke. LOL. :stupid:
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

PreviousNext

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?