BA strike

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

BA strike

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Anyone been affected by this?

Wooders doesn't sound very happy!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8576848.stm
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: BA strike

Postby Martin1988 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:55 am

News flash: BA on strike. BA said in a statement "I ain't gettin' on no plane, foo'"
҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~HE ͡҉ ҉̔̕WHO͡҉ ҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~ ҉̵̞̟ WA͡҉ ҉̔̕̚~ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇ITS BEHIND ͡҉ ҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~ ҉
Martin1988
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Location: Ignorance is taking over. And it doesn't even know it.

Postby Kes » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:39 am

Take notice, there's only one airline in Britain that ever has workers go on strike, which coincidentally is the same airline that's the only one to have ever been bailed out of the shit by the government. Other airlines have to struggle for their survival, taking the bad times with the good times. BA have always given the impression they don't have to work to normal business conventions, even when they are making a horrendous loss.

Personally, I think their workers need to wake up and see the other airlines are making people redundant, and taking fairly huge pay drops just to survive, while they are happily dragging their airline towards another state bale out.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Postby EaP » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Martin1988 wrote:News flash: BA on strike. BA said in a statement 'I ain't gettin' on no plane, foo'

:lol: :lol: :lol: considering you're usually right up yourself martin, thats a peach. well done! :lol: :lol: :lol:
7/7 - The Day The Multicultural Timebomb Exploded
EaP
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Strike losses - £7m a day, totalling £21m

Pre-tax losses last year - £401m

The company owns it's B737 fleet and not much else. Everything else is leased in.

Can ANYONE (maybe someone a bit more 'union' minded, perhaps), tell me how Unite think striking will help safeguard the workforce's pay and conditions, if the jobs don't exist?
Kes

Postby WeeMann » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:59 pm

If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
WeeMann

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:42 pm

WeeMann wrote:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/jeremy_clarkson/article7069620.ece

Jeremy knows how it works.

I'm not sure about this Wooders character at all. He strikes me as someone who claims to represent the working classes yet is probably planning to retire to a nice big house in the countryside...
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Ace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:08 pm

It is frankly staggering that people who are paid double the industry average feel they have some grievence against an employer that is losing £400m a year.

And we have the prospect of Rail Workers striking because the terms of employment are being altered.

Do these people not understand that we are in a different world now. If your company doesn't make a profit, it goes bust, sooner or later. These BA cabin crew can then look for a job with a different airline - at half the pay.

As Clarkeson says, win or lose in this strike action, they still lose.
Ace
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:49 pm

I think Unite are playing the card that the government would not let BA go bust, due to the sheer number of workers it will spit out. The reality is more like the outrage people will feel if the government DOES bail them out, when ten of thousands of other people have already been the victims of cutbacks or companies going down the tubes.
Kes

Postby Ace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Kes wrote:I think Unite are playing the card that the government would not let BA go bust, due to the sheer number of workers it will spit out. The reality is more like the outrage people will feel if the government DOES bail them out, when ten of thousands of other people have already been the victims of cutbacks or companies going down the tubes.

It never ceases to amaze me how easily lead in to oblivion some people are. I can understand that no-one wants to be worse off now than they were in the past. But when you are clearly in a position that your company can no longer afford the rate they are paying (which is wildly out of kilter in the markets anyway) you would assume that you would look to ways of protecting your employment by agreeing new shift patterns and taking pay freezes.
Ace
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:32 pm

The position we were given at the place I currently work at, was that other departments and our management, were taking a 5% paycut, but for a 10% reduction in hours, this was agreed on a temporary basis, to be reverted to "as was" after six months. On the shop floor, we weren't actually given this kind of option. We were just told that we were given the option of trying to "help the company out" by permanently changing our shift system to an extra ten hours a week in the winter, for no extra money.

Of course, they had to have a ballot, and 80% of the shop floor said "F*ck that for a game of soldiers!" Six months later, we're in the middle of a notice period of 90 days, where half the shop floor jobs are now under threat of redundancy. The thing is, they've now admitted that doing this silly system wouldn't have actually changed the impending redundancy situation in the slightest, but it would have saved the company about half a million quid.
Kes

Postby Lady Godiva the 1st » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 pm

BA are tarred with the same brush as Qantas IMHO. Airline giants who pretty much control the majority of a country’s flight paths, yet they still want more more more. I never fly with either if I can help it, but am unfortunately (HOPEFULLY) flying on one tonight. If they mess me around I am not going to be happy at all!
Lady Godiva the 1st
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?