The UK Budget

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

The UK Budget

Postby Ace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Was there much point !!!

The only thing that I took from it is that we are spending more money servicing our national debt than we are on educating our children.

So, no plans for reducing this figure.

Maybe the 10% extra tax on Cider will help bridge the deficit. Anyone from Somerset and under the age of 21 will be reelling from that. Both my daughters in fact. Tee Hee.
Ace
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: The UK Budget

Postby JLP » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:46 pm

It was always going to be a nothing budget though. Any tax cuts would have brought forth claims of trying to buy the election. Any tax hikes would have been electoral suicide.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby CoolCat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Just been a newsflash, the Wurzels are very unhappy :lol:
CoolCat
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Loretta » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:00 am

I loved the way his budget plan encompassed a 4 year span... like they're actually going to be in power! Made me laugh.
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Guru » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:46 am

What have they got against cider anyway? It's already more expensive than all the foreign piss most people drink.

How about supporting a UK product, cuntfaces?

<hic>
Guru
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Ace » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Guru wrote:What have they got against cider anyway? It's already more expensive than all the foreign piss most people drink.

<hic>

Cider has, for a long time been taxed at a much lower rate than beer. I think beer is taxed at a bout 40p a pint whereas Cider (which can be much stronger) is taxed at only about 17p a pint.

There is a caviat to this. Small breweries (producing less than 1.3m gallons a year) pay only half the tax on beer (20p a pint approx) which allows them to compete with the bigger breweries.

Any cider producer that makes less than 1,540 gallons a year pays no duty at all.

The expensive price of Cider in the pubs is not actually down to Duty at all but more to do with the wholesalers and retailers using it to maximise profits.

The government seem to want to curb the sale of very strong and inexpensive cider from our supermarkets as this is the cheapest way of getting drunk. If you look at what a wino drinks on his park bench you'll see it is most likely cider. In the old days it used to be Sherry or fortified wine as this was the cheapest way of getting drunk.
Ace
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Ace wrote:
Guru wrote:What have they got against cider anyway? It's already more expensive than all the foreign piss most people drink.

<hic>

Cider has, for a long time been taxed at a much lower rate than beer. I think beer is taxed at a bout 40p a pint whereas Cider (which can be much stronger) is taxed at only about 17p a pint.

There is a caviat to this. Small breweries (producing less than 1.3m gallons a year) pay only half the tax on beer (20p a pint approx) which allows them to compete with the bigger breweries.

Any cider producer that makes less than 1,540 gallons a year pays no duty at all.

The expensive price of Cider in the pubs is not actually down to Duty at all but more to do with the wholesalers and retailers using it to maximise profits.

The government seem to want to curb the sale of very strong and inexpensive cider from our supermarkets as this is the cheapest way of getting drunk. If you look at what a wino drinks on his park bench you'll see it is most likely cider. In the old days it used to be Sherry or fortified wine as this was the cheapest way of getting drunk.

It is also the trendy drink amongst youngsters, along with alcopops.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:10 pm

Ace wrote:If you look at what a wino drinks on his park bench you'll see it is most likely cider. In the old days it used to be Sherry or fortified wine as this was the cheapest way of getting drunk.

The times I went to Donington with a bottle or two of Thunderbird :lol:
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
WeeMann

Postby CoolCat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:23 pm

So they put more tax on cider and alchopops to try and deter the younger generation from drinking too much, my God, how out of touch are these white collard desk jockeys? go and ask a 20 year old how much any drink is in a pub or club and they will tell you they haven't got a clue, and what's more, they don't care, tax could go up 100% and it wouldn't stop binge drinking in the slightest.
CoolCat
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Ace » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:53 pm

CoolCat wrote:So they put more tax on cider and alchopops to try and deter the younger generation from drinking too much, my God, how out of touch are these white collard desk jockeys? go and ask a 20 year old how much any drink is in a pub or club and they will tell you they haven't got a clue, and what's more, they don't care, tax could go up 100% and it wouldn't stop binge drinking in the slightest.

Fully agree with you.
Ace
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?