Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:15 am

(March 29) --Two days before a high school dance, 15-year-old Phoebe Prince hanged herself at her parents' home. Now, investigators have accused nine of her fellow students with the bullying that may have prompted the suicide.

At a news conference today, Northwestern Massachusetts District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel detailed the charges against Prince's fellow students at South Hadley High School. They included statutory rape, violation of civil rights, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly, The Boston Globe reported.

Prince, who recently immigrated to the United States from Ireland with her family, was the target of abuse and bullying since last fall, Scheibel said, sometimes within the view of school staff, as is said to have been the case on the day she took her own life.

"The harassment reported to have occurred that day in the school library appears to have been conducted in the presence of a faculty member and several students, but went unreported to school administrators until after Phoebe's death," Scheibel said.

In the wake of Prince's suicide on Jan. 14, residents of South Hadley have demanded that school Superintendent Gus Sayer resign from office, the Boston Herald reported. Until Monday's indictments were handed down, no action had been taken against the students accused of bullying Prince.

It is believed that she was being bullied over a brief relationship with a boy at the school.

The students named in the indictments are Sean Mulveyhill, 17; Kayla Narey, 17; Austin Renaud, 18; Ashley Longe; 16, Flannery Mullins, 16; and Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16. Mulveyhill and Renaud were the only students charged with statutory rape.

Three other female students were also charged with crimes including assault with a dangerous weapon and violation of civil rights, but their names were not released.

As a result of Prince's death, the Massachusetts Legislature has approved an anti-bullying bill, the Boston Herald reported, that mandates that school principals report bullies to police in cases where criminal charges might be applicable.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/p ... s/19418522
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 am

So, according to one of the mothers, it was ok that this poor girl was raped, then bullied and her own daughter did no wrong because this girl called her names back?


Mother Defends Daughter Charged in Bullying Case

Updated: 1 hour 34 minutes ago

AOL News (March 31) -- The mother of one of the nine Massachusetts teens charged with bullying 15-year-old Phoebe Prince before her suicide is defending her daughter, saying that she may have exchanged harsh words with Prince but Prince was not an innocent bystander.

"Phoebe was calling her names," Angeles Chanon told the Boston Herald, speaking of her daughter, Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16, who is charged with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. "They're teenagers. They call names."

Chanon said her daughter cried when she was indicted. "My daughter didn't do any of those things, but I guess we have to fight," Chanon said of the charges. "My daughter's not a violent kid."

While she acknowledges her daughter was once suspended from school for verbally abusing Prince, a new student from Ireland, Chanon insists her daughter never harmed Prince physically or urged her to hurt herself.

"She exchanged a couple of words with her," Chanon told the Herald. "My daughter never fought with her or said, 'Go harm yourself' or 'I hate you.'"

Chanon said she grounded her daughter after she was suspended from school over the conflict that occurred before Prince's death.

"We have strong values, and I don't like injustice, and injustice includes bullying or being racist," the suspect's mother said.

In response to Prince's death and the students' indictment, South Hadley High formed an Anti-Bullying Task Force and will now electronically log all bullying or harassment reports.
Filed under: Nation, Crime

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/mo ... r/19421278
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:17 am

I don't think her daughter was one of the people charged with statutory rape.
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:25 am

Elessar wrote:I don't think her daughter was one of the people charged with statutory rape.


I don't know who did the rapes. Rapes can be done with objects, too, not just body parts.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 am

Innuendoes wrote:I don't know who did the rapes. Rapes can be done with objects, too, not just body parts.


You do, actually.

Innuendoes wrote:(March 29) --Two days before a high school dance, 15-year-old Phoebe Prince hanged herself at her parents' home. Now, investigators have accused nine of her fellow students with the bullying that may have prompted the suicide.

At a news conference today, Northwestern Massachusetts District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel detailed the charges against Prince's fellow students at South Hadley High School. They included statutory rape, violation of civil rights, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly, The Boston Globe reported.

Prince, who recently immigrated to the United States from Ireland with her family, was the target of abuse and bullying since last fall, Scheibel said, sometimes within the view of school staff, as is said to have been the case on the day she took her own life.

"The harassment reported to have occurred that day in the school library appears to have been conducted in the presence of a faculty member and several students, but went unreported to school administrators until after Phoebe's death," Scheibel said.

In the wake of Prince's suicide on Jan. 14, residents of South Hadley have demanded that school Superintendent Gus Sayer resign from office, the Boston Herald reported. Until Monday's indictments were handed down, no action had been taken against the students accused of bullying Prince.

It is believed that she was being bullied over a brief relationship with a boy at the school.

The students named in the indictments are Sean Mulveyhill, 17; Kayla Narey, 17; Austin Renaud, 18; Ashley Longe; 16, Flannery Mullins, 16; and Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16. Mulveyhill and Renaud were the only students charged with statutory rape.

Three other female students were also charged with crimes including assault with a dangerous weapon and violation of civil rights, but their names were not released.

As a result of Prince's death, the Massachusetts Legislature has approved an anti-bullying bill, the Boston Herald reported, that mandates that school principals report bullies to police in cases where criminal charges might be applicable.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/p ... s/19418522
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 am

Alright. I didn't see that section or read it well enough. So you think this girl should not have been charged?
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 am

Innuendoes wrote:Alright. I didn't see that section or read it well enough. So you think this girl should not have been charged?


I've absolutely no idea - that's for the legal process to decide.

However I don't think it's unreasonable for her mother to speak out on her behalf, and the story that you posted certainly doesn't imply that she condones rape.
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:52 am

Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Alright. I didn't see that section or read it well enough. So you think this girl should not have been charged?


I've absolutely no idea - that's for the legal process to decide.

However I don't think it's unreasonable for her mother to speak out on her behalf, and the story that you posted certainly doesn't imply that she condones rape.


I just saw the article a few minutes ago, briefly read it and decided to post it. No, it doesn't say the girl, Sharon Chanon Velazquez, was involvd in the rape but the whole case is pretty bad.

This girl was harassed and verbally abused for 3 months straight, not only at school but off campus as well. The parents of the offending individuals/students need to face up to the fact they''ve got a kid out of control who needs to be punished and the judge and apparently jury, felt they deserved at least what they got. If not more.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:54 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Alright. I didn't see that section or read it well enough. So you think this girl should not have been charged?


I've absolutely no idea - that's for the legal process to decide.

However I don't think it's unreasonable for her mother to speak out on her behalf, and the story that you posted certainly doesn't imply that she condones rape.


I just saw the article a few minutes ago, briefly read it and decided to post it. No, it doesn't say the girl, Sharon Chanon Velazquez, was involvd in the rape but the whole case is pretty bad.

This girl was harassed and verbally abused for 3 months straight, not only at school but off campus as well. The parents of the offending individuals/students need to face up to the fact they''ve got a kid out of control who needs to be punished and the judge and apparently jury, felt they deserved at least what they got. If not more.


Well, they've been charged, not convicted. It sounds pretty awful, you're right, but the people being accused have the right to put their side of the story across.

And it sounds like it was statutory rape, not rape. Still bad, but not the same.
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Loretta » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:16 am

I still think it's wrong that the accused are allowed to be named like that. Fuck all chance of a fair trial. But at least it sold a few papers and got the good old moral majority up in arms. Lets just publicly flay everyone as soon as an accusation is made, even if it's just for witchcraft, and save the rainforests by giving the papers fuck all to print about.
User avatar
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:02 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... defying gravity

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:20 am

Loretta wrote:I still think it's wrong that the accused are allowed to be named like that. Fuck all chance of a fair trial. But at least it sold a few papers and got the good old moral majority up in arms. Lets just publicly flay everyone as soon as an accusation is made, even if it's just for witchcraft, and save the rainforests by giving the papers fuck all to print about.


Careful - if you say things like that, people will think you advocate bullying and rape and murder and video piracy.
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Delilah » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 am

Loretta wrote:I still think it's wrong that the accused are allowed to be named like that. Fuck all chance of a fair trial. But at least it sold a few papers and got the good old moral majority up in arms. Lets just publicly flay everyone as soon as an accusation is made, even if it's just for witchcraft, and save the rainforests by giving the papers fuck all to print about.


I'm surprised that the names have been released like this, given that they are minors. Must be a state-by-state thing, because I don't think that they can do that in my own state.

It sounds like bad bullying, but I saw worse in my own high school. Not saying it's right, but maybe putting teens in jail for bullying isn't the right way to go. It's a huge problem that I just don't see jail time fixing. There has to be a better way of dealing with it. I'm also very much not okay with high school teenagers having sex with one another being a crime. The age differences just aren't that dramatic. These statutory rape laws need some serious tweaking.
User avatar
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Loretta » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 am

Elessar wrote:Careful - if you say things like that, people will think you advocate bullying and rape and murder and video piracy.

Yeah, but obviously that was exactly what I was saying. I deserve it. And I get to save the planet at the same time, so my conscience would be clear as I burnt on the stake.
User avatar
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:02 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... defying gravity

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:26 am

Delilah wrote:
Loretta wrote:I still think it's wrong that the accused are allowed to be named like that. Fuck all chance of a fair trial. But at least it sold a few papers and got the good old moral majority up in arms. Lets just publicly flay everyone as soon as an accusation is made, even if it's just for witchcraft, and save the rainforests by giving the papers fuck all to print about.


I'm surprised that the names have been released like this, given that they are minors. Must be a state-by-state thing, because I don't think that they can do that in my own state.

It sounds like bad bullying, but I saw worse in my own high school. Not saying it's right, but maybe putting teens in jail for bullying isn't the right way to go. It's a huge problem that I just don't see jail time fixing. There has to be a better way of dealing with it. I'm also very much not okay with high school teenagers having sex with one another being a crime. The age differences just aren't that dramatic. These statutory rape laws need some serious tweaking.


Especially because it only takes a few links in a game of Chinese whispers before 'statutory rape' becomes 'rape'. In fact, it happened in this thread within two posts!
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 am

Loretta wrote:
Elessar wrote:Careful - if you say things like that, people will think you advocate bullying and rape and murder and video piracy.

Yeah, but obviously that was exactly what I was saying. I deserve it. And I get to save the planet at the same time, so my conscience would be clear as I burnt on the stake.


I think we'd have to come up with a more environmentally friendly execution method than burning. How do you feel about being eaten by lions?
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Next

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron