120+ dead in Russian plane crash, including Polish president

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: 120+ dead in Russian plane crash, including Polish president

Postby Elessar » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Hmmm - Portuguese Prime Minister in 1980, President of Ecuador in 1981, leader of Panama in 1981, President of Iraq in 1966, President of Bolivia in 1969, President of the Phillipines in 1957, President of the Central African Republic in 1959, and probably others I missed.

Also various ministers, senators, governors, and half of the Kennedy family.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/famous.htm
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Kes » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Per mile, I think the likelihood SHOULD be considerably less. Mechanical failure should be less of an issue, because of things like the component management I mentioned, and pilot error should be less of an issue too. As to whether they travel more air miles, than the average, yes, but more than the average transatlantic businessman? Then, I'd think, no.

As regards JFK's nipper, he just thought he was a better pilot than he really was. That was virtual suicide on his part. He got lost and decided to descend in circles until he saw something he recognised. Unfortunately he can't have known what an ocean was, because flew the aircraft into the sea in the process.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Postby Elessar » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Kes wrote:Per mile, I think the likelihood SHOULD be considerably less. Mechanical failure should be less of an issue, because of things like the component management I mentioned, and pilot error should be less of an issue too. As to whether they travel more air miles, than the average, yes, but more than the average transatlantic businessman? Then, I'd think, no.

As regards JFK's nipper, he just thought he was a better pilot than he really was. That was virtual suicide on his part. He got lost and decided to descend in circles until he saw something he recognised. Unfortunately he can't have known what an ocean was, because flew the aircraft into the sea in the process.

It's a family tradition, isn't it? I guess he realised no one was likely to shoot him, so he decided to go flying.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Kes » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:26 pm

His uncle Teddy (that's JFK and Bobby's younger brother) tried driving a car off a very high narrow bridge, while pissed out of his head, he survived, but as I remember it, his passenger didn't.

Although I was still fairly young, I remember a comment going around about the Kennedy family, along the lines of "So long as you didn't f*ck Marilyn Monroe, you were probably safe!"
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Previous

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?