I hate cd's...

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED.

I hate cd's...

Postby fairydandy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Just as with vinyl, I now hate cd's. It's time to digitise my collection and get rid of the ugly, hideous, little boxes. Anyone else feel like this?

I also hate DVD's and to be honest, is there really any need for them nowadays?

I just dumped a perfectly good DVDA player and a recordable cd player/recorder as they too were redundant (let's face it, a hideous silver box to play two Queen DVDA's really is taking the biscuit). If I can't get it on 'catch up' I can get it online, so no need to record TV programmes nowadays.

Yes, it's spring and it's time for a clear out! Next it's the wardrobe! Dump the crap!!
Last edited by fairydandy on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: I hate cd's and I love tidying up!

Postby Y2marmar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:50 pm

I need to do a big clear out too. De-clutter my life
"As a rock star, you stand on stage and go 'Woo, look at me! Aren't I sexy?'"
Y2marmar
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Y2marmar wrote:I need to do a big clear out too. De-clutter my life

Actually, you have hit the nail on the head! That's exactly how I feel and I really feel better for getting rid of the old stuff.
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Y2marmar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:56 pm

YEah. That's my reasoning too. If I clear my rooms out, maybe my head will feel clearer too
"As a rock star, you stand on stage and go 'Woo, look at me! Aren't I sexy?'"
Y2marmar
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:07 pm

fairydandy wrote:Yes, it's spring and it's time for a clear out! Next it's the wardrobe! Dump the crap!!

Is the ashtray full in the car too? :P
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
WeeMann

Postby fairydandy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 pm

WeeMann wrote:
fairydandy wrote:Yes, it's spring and it's time for a clear out! Next it's the wardrobe! Dump the crap!!

Is the ashtray full in the car too? :P

Don't have an ashtray. Smoking is soooo last century daaaahling. :P
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Greywoolfe » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 pm

I've found that one or two of my older CDs have begun to corrode, in that the information layer is starting to separate from the plastic disc, so they don't play properly. What I've done is back everything up on my iPod, make copies of all the music files on an external hard-drive, and store all the discs away in case I need them for hard-copy backup. The albums that have suffered the corrosion have been replaced from iTunes, and if necessary I can replace them by burning new discs from my stored files. I don't need to use the discs anymore, as I have an iPod dock that uses the device as part of a hifi system. All new Cds get the iPod treatment before being stored away now. i still prefer reading sleeve notes, which you just don't get on iTunes.
Greywoolfe

Postby fairydandy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 pm

I really like downloading music. I often go to 7 Digital to buy an album and like you, I play it on the sound-dock, as I don't even have a cd player now! Playing music on shuffle is by far the best way of listening I think anyway.

Oh and yes, my early cd's are corroding too!
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:42 pm

I still love the feeling of having something to show for my cash. A download will never replace the simple pleasures of a cd, dvd or vinyl for me... but I do use them when I have to - and I'm digitizing my entire collection right down to every last b-side - just for ease of use.

That said, me and my partner spent about 4 hours listening to random 7" singles the other week and we both loved it - there's just something so pure about enjoying music this way, that the fast-track approach can never replace. She's never really seen the point of vinyl before beyond its fancy designs... but I think I'm slowly converting her to just how great it can sound, and above all else, FEEL.

Also - if you have everything on one device, and it breaks, you're fooked. At least I'll have a backup of most of my purchases! And they look amazing on shelves too...
So long, and thanks for all the fish...

Quick Access To The Booshniverse

"The Velvet Onion has the right idea." - The Guardian
"They are good, actually." - Noel Fielding
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Bad Guy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:44 pm

fairydandy wrote:I really like downloading music. I often go to 7 Digital to buy an album and like you, I play it on the sound-dock, as I don't even have a cd player now! Playing music on shuffle is by far the best way of listening I think anyway.

Oh and yes, my early cd's are corroding too!

I am the opposite, I would rather buy albums that i really want on CD than download them off the net. Suppose that is the collector in me, I am quite proud of my CD collection and you can't really feel like that about downloaded stuff. Plus, it's easier to read the lyrics in a CD booklet.

:P
LEWIS HAMILTON & JENSON BUTTON - McLAREN'S 2010 DREAM TEAM!
Bad Guy
BOPOS
BOPOS

Postby JLP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:46 pm

I tend to listen to stuff via headphones unless I am alone in the house. Still prefer a physical disc though as downloads dont really seem like a purchase.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby fairydandy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:And they look amazing on shelves too...

The very thing that happened to me with vinyl is now happening to cd's. I hate the look of them, they look old fashioned and cumbersome.

I actually can't believe that I have all those Queen VHS's that are virtually worthless now too! Jesus, they really are ugly looking boxes!
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:53 pm

fairydandy wrote:

The very thing that happened to me with vinyl is now happening to cd's. I hate the look of them, they look old fashioned and cumbersome.

I actually can't believe that I have all those Queen VHS's that are virtually worthless now too! Jesus, they really are ugly looking boxes!

If you're going to get rid of them, fd... do yourself a favour this time, and SELL THEM. Don't go just chucking them out - you deserve the cash they could bring you!
So long, and thanks for all the fish...

Quick Access To The Booshniverse

"The Velvet Onion has the right idea." - The Guardian
"They are good, actually." - Noel Fielding
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby JLP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:55 pm

fairydandy wrote:

I have all the VHS stuff too and the other day I stuck the video player in the spare room. Not watched a VHS video for years.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby fairydandy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 am

Sir Didymus wrote:
fairydandy wrote:

If you're going to get rid of them, fd... do yourself a favour this time, and SELL THEM. Don't go just chucking them out - you deserve the cash they could bring you!

Maybe I should do a car boot! :shock: Haaaaaha...now there's a thought! :P
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to FRIED CHICKEN!