Bad Company 2010

Queen + Paul Rodgers, the tours and a studio album. Discuss them here!

Re: Bad Company 2010

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Hmm. Well the Sheffield Gig was waaay better and thankfully longer thank Birmingham, but I did think at both, Bad Company just don't look like a band anymore. It's Paul singing and he does have some epic moments, Simple Man comes to mind, the and are brilliant, but I couldn't see any real chemistry between them and to be honest I didn't get much of a feeling they particularly wanted to be there. There were some genuinely uncomfortable moments where the lack of interaction between the members of Bad Co (so not including Lynn Sorensen and Howard Leese) really clanged. The only song I noticed all five played together really well was Young Blood. It is a really good show, a lot of fun and Paul sounds awesome as ever, but yeah, compared to Paul's solo 06 tour (also with Lynn Sorensen and Howard Leese), I'm not sure I particularly like Bad Company now. There's just a different feeling and attitude about it, some people might prefer that obviously but for me it's just a bit uncomfortable.

I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby straightshooter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Hmm. Well the Sheffield Gig was waaay better and thankfully longer thank Birmingham, but I did think at both, Bad Company just don't look like a band anymore. It's Paul singing and he does have some epic moments, Simple Man comes to mind, the and are brilliant, but I couldn't see any real chemistry between them and to be honest I didn't get much of a feeling they particularly wanted to be there. There were some genuinely uncomfortable moments where the lack of interaction between the members of Bad Co (so not including Lynn Sorensen and Howard Leese) really clanged. The only song I noticed all five played together really well was Young Blood. It is a really good show, a lot of fun and Paul sounds awesome as ever, but yeah, compared to Paul's solo 06 tour (also with Lynn Sorensen and Howard Leese), I'm not sure I particularly like Bad Company now. There's just a different feeling and attitude about it, some people might prefer that obviously but for me it's just a bit uncomfortable.

Shame. I get the feeling Paul doesn't really like Simon & Mick to any great amount and they're the same back, though maybe not so much Simon.

How long was the Sheffield gig?
And any unexpected tracks?
Call Me If You Need My Love
straightshooter
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby Mercury87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Hmm. Well the Sheffield Gig was waaay better and thankfully longer thank Birmingham, but I did think at both, Bad Company just don't look like a band anymore. It's Paul singing and he does have some epic moments, Simple Man comes to mind, the and are brilliant, but I couldn't see any real chemistry between them and to be honest I didn't get much of a feeling they particularly wanted to be there. There were some genuinely uncomfortable moments where the lack of interaction between the members of Bad Co (so not including Lynn Sorensen and Howard Leese) really clanged. The only song I noticed all five played together really well was Young Blood. It is a really good show, a lot of fun and Paul sounds awesome as ever, but yeah, compared to Paul's solo 06 tour (also with Lynn Sorensen and Howard Leese), I'm not sure I particularly like Bad Company now. There's just a different feeling and attitude about it, some people might prefer that obviously but for me it's just a bit uncomfortable.

When they reunited in 1999 and released the anthology, it was the perfect moment to tour and become an active band again. Instead they decided to let the momentum slip and Paul and Simon went instead as Bad Company on tour. Meanwhile Boz died and it isn't just the same without him :(
That said, I wish I could see them live, but because of their limited tour schedule, I guess that won't happen soon.
Mercury87
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby straightshooter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Oh yeah and how full do the venues seem?
Does anyone know actual numbers?
Call Me If You Need My Love
straightshooter
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:54 pm

straightshooter wrote:

Shame. I get the feeling Paul doesn't really like Simon & Mick to any great amount and they're the same back, though maybe not so much Simon.

How long was the Sheffield gig?
And any unexpected tracks?

Yeah, not so much from Simon who being the drummer, it is harder to tell, but yeah, no huge friendship between Paul and Mick. I mean obviously they were very gracious to each other on stage, it just felt forced.

It was about one hour thirty five minutes, slightly nearer acceptable gig length. ;) There were two unexpected tracks, one of Boz's and Honey Child. I had hoped they'd play Honey Child so that was a nice addition.

Oh to McQuaggy, I did see Freddie in the Shooting Star video this time. :) Right at the end, huge stage shot from the seventies, beautiful. :) I think Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon and John Bonham were in there too, along with Boz and Paul Kossoff, couldn't be entirely sure though.

It seems a shame, all the markings of a great tour are there, it just all feels a bit off to me. Even Paul on stage seemed different, he did an impromptu call and response thing and it fell flat, everyone did respond but it just went nowhere. Getting everyone to sing back "I love you" then saying thanks, should have been funny, but it was just a bit awkward instead. It just felt like a bad atmosphere and it wasn't coming from the crowd, the crowd were great, Paul said as much more than once. He did sound amazing though, you know when he's really on form and he kinda makes your chest hurt? :P Simple Man, unbelievable.

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:04 pm

straightshooter wrote:Oh yeah and how full do the venues seem?
Does anyone know actual numbers?

Well, the LG Arena was halved for the purpose, still pretty huge, the blocks right beside the stage were empty though and we got tickets the day before, so the bigger ones aren't full. Glasgow and Sheffield were sold out, don't know about numbers though.

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby DragonOnMyBack » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:53 am

Cardiff International Arena was very close to full last night, although I did see the odd empty seat here and there. Paul seemed to be enjoying the Welsh crowd. But as other people have said the set was a bit short I think it was about 1hr 20mins.
DragonOnMyBack
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Location: QUEEN FAN CLUB MEMBER since 1989. We need you, join here http://www.queenworld.com

Postby DragonOnMyBack » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 am

Just found a short review of last nights gig in Cardiff, with some great photos :
http://www.themusicfix.co.uk/content.php?contentid=9723
DragonOnMyBack
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Location: QUEEN FAN CLUB MEMBER since 1989. We need you, join here http://www.queenworld.com

Postby Mercury87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Did they play Gone, Gone, Gone and/or Electricland, because those two belong to my favourite Bad Company songs.
Mercury87
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:46 pm

joe perry looks like someones grandmother :)

otherwise - good pics. has paul done something with his wig btw? :)

heard the PR compilation went top 10 - well deserved! seems like his profile has benefited from the years with brian and roger
Thankyou Paul Rodgers, for your time, effort and massive talent - enabling Queen to go out again from 2005 - 2008.
I salute you
eiricd
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby Knute » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm not sure what you are expecting, but it's a shame you are letting this mar your gigs a bit.
The reality of the situation is that they are not a band and haven't been one for years. This is more like a business arrangement then anything else. The bonds between them born out of touring constantly and making albums together is long gone.
It really is more like Paul Rodgers gigs with two old band mates stepping in to give a hand. There have been resentments between these three, but there has also been plenty of water under the bridge as well. I would imagine the relationship between them would best be described as cordial, but not very deep. When Paul walked into rehearsals for this tour it was the first time he had probably laid eyes on Mick and Simon since the last BadCo gig.

Perhaps you could clarify a little more.
Does it seem like tension between them is recent? Was there a chemistry on the Hard Rock Live DVD between them that is missing from this tour?
Knute
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:00 pm

I didn't let it mar the gigs, the Sheffield gig especially was brilliant and I honestly cannot describe just how stunning Simple Man was, presumably you know what I mean, one of those Paul moments his voice just goes right through you. :) Awesome. I just preferred the solo tour three years ago and both Q+PR tours, I prefer to feel some chemistry between the people on stage and there wasn't any. It didn't ruin the gigs, it just made it clear the band Bad Company are long over, reunion tour or no. I think Paul does better in situations when he is buzzing off the other band members too. The Joe Perry project were a good comparisoon, it's all in the name really, it's all about Joe Perry, and yet there was more chemistry between that band than between Bad Co. I didn't think there was bad feeling, just...no feeling, none of the excitement of Q+PR or the fun of his last solo tour. For them, I mean. The crowds were fun which made the gigs very enjoyable, I really couldn't complain, there was just something missing.

I think I felt it more than most, because here's a weird fact for you, the first gig I ever went to was Q+PR in Birmingham, 2005, since then I've been to ten others, in total, five Q+PR, three PR solo, and two Bad Co. I go to see local bands all the time obviously but I mean people you have to pay for. :P In other words every headlining gig I've been to involved Paul Rodgers. :lol: He doesn't seem happy with Bad Co like he has done every other time I've seen him. I don't suppose it matters, I just noticed it.

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby The Hunter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 pm

I have been to all the UK shows thus far. First Joe Perry Project is fantastic--they are on for about an hour..fanstastic energy and sound..too bad the crowd does not appreciate it for the most part. As for Bad Company- I would rate the shows as follows Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff, Birmingham. I am a bit annoyed of the lack of particpation of the audiences...get out of your seats and boogie..Bad Co is putting on a great show, better then last summer, better than 08-08-08. I think there is chemistry there--Mick is doing a great job. Paul is spot on and having a lot of fun if the audience engages him as they did in Manchester and Sheffield. I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on timing the show--you are given variety and a top notch show. They are digging a bit deeper in the catalog but no one seems to care---except me and a few others..all people want to hear it seems is FLML, Shooting Star, Cant get enough, Seagull (IMHO brings the momentum of the show down and take a while to get the crowd who wants to particpate back in it), Bad Company. Highlights are Honeychild, Youngblood, Movin on, Electricland, Gone-Gone-Gone. Simple Man and Ready for love have kicked it every night. Deal with the Preacher in Manchester was kickass. I guess I am living for the music and enjoying myself for this perhaps the last time we will be able to see Bad Co with Simon and Mick. Leave your stop watches at home, get off your arses and enjoy the moment.
The Hunter
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby FarCry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Should people really have to get up in the first place though? Not all their audience is as old as them you know! :-P
As for timings, obviously having an amazing show is excellent, but at the same time you want as much as possible and for the money people are paying, you want a full length set.

This is coming from someone who couldn't go to any of the show by the way, so I inevitably hate you! :-P

Amples x

ImageImage Image

Eva and Emma x
FarCry
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Harry, Ben AND Luke down. Chris and Danny watch out...

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:24 pm

The Hunter wrote: They are digging a bit deeper in the catalog but no one seems to care---except me and a few others..all people want to hear it seems is FLML, Shooting Star, Cant get enough, Seagull (IMHO brings the momentum of the show down and take a while to get the crowd who wants to particpate back in it), Bad Company. Highlights are Honeychild, Youngblood, Movin on, Electricland, Gone-Gone-Gone. Simple Man and Ready for love have kicked it every night. Deal with the Preacher in Manchester was kickass. I guess I am living for the music and enjoying myself for this perhaps the last time we will be able to see Bad Co with Simon and Mick. Leave your stop watches at home, get off your arses and enjoy the moment.

Completely agree about the Joe Perry project, they're really brilliant. Totally agree with your highlights too, although I do think the hits are fun because more people stand up, in Sheffiled and Birmingham me and my sister were stood on our own, right in the middle, right up till Shooting Star when they stood up because Paul told them to. People actually asked us to sit down in Sheffield, to which we said no, not to be rude or anything but come on, it does specifically say on tickets people may stand up around you. I can't imagine gig to a gig and sitting through it.
I don't think it's a case of timing them, I agree it's quality over quantity, but obviously people pay a lot for tickets and if I'm anything to go by, do so when they can't really afford too. :P Hammersmith just before christmas was an hour if that, and the front row had stood in the rain for over nine hours waiting. Fair enough, Paul didn't look or sound very well, he did a great job considering, but for every gig on a tour to be short, you are going to get a few complaints. I loved the two gigs I went to, I hope everyone else did too. If they did I want to know why they were sitting for so much of it. :P

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS