1977 Ultimate Collection: News Of The World

Welcome to your first point of call for Queen facts and FAQs, the official partner forum to the Queenonline History Section on the main site.

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:41 pm

I still maintain thats just Brian's style of singing (which in some respects is like my own, except Brian can sing :lol:), and also careful piano playing. I've tried singing the song, and I also have the slight pause before the 'give' of 'forgive' and a quiet 'm' of 'me'. :P

Would Queen really be so reckless as to risk a take join *MID* word? Mid verse yes, mid line perhaps... but in the middle of a word? :shock:
So long, and thanks for all the fish...

Quick Access To The Booshniverse

"The Velvet Onion has the right idea." - The Guardian
"They are good, actually." - Noel Fielding
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:41 pm

All these lists are looking rather good and impressive John. But why include Earl's Court here when it was the last date they played on their A Day At The Races tour? The only connection to the NOTW album is the year... Other than this, everything is spanking... :cool:

Postby John S Stuart » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:11 pm

Champs wrote:All these lists are looking rather good and impressive John. But why include Earl's Court here when it was the last date they played on their A Day At The Races tour? The only connection to the NOTW album is the year... Other than this, everything is spanking... :cool:

As I said earlier to Loretta: You are correct - but whatever catalogue system one uses - it is artificial by nature - so it can never please everyone. For example under 1979, you will find that I include no "Game" tracks because I have included these under the 1980 "Game" LP sessions. Other anomalies such as "Mad The Swine" - would first appear in 1991.

It is the same with live material. Although you too are correct - Earl's Court was from the "Day At The Races" tour - it still fits in nicely into the 1977 year catalogue also.

It depends how we prefer to "shoehorn" our material, perhaps I should include it in both?
John S Stuart
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:13 pm

No worries, but it can cause slight confusion to the more casual reader. On the whole - an excellent series of posts so far.

Postby queenfan23 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:01 am

John, have you got round to listening to All Dead, All Dead yet? :P
queenfan23

Postby John S Stuart » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:39 pm

PTRACER wrote:John, have you got round to listening to All Dead, All Dead yet? :P

I am not ignoring you - but not yet. When I get home later tonight. I promise!!!
John S Stuart
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby queenfan23 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:41 pm

John S Stuart wrote:
PTRACER wrote:John, have you got round to listening to All Dead, All Dead yet? :P

I am not ignoring you - but not yet. When I get home later tonight. I promise!!!

Ok :) :P
queenfan23

Postby John S Stuart » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:48 am

PTRACER wrote:Exactly 2 minutes 25 seconds in, at the word 'forget me' / 'forgive me'.

The volume dips mid word 'forgive' or 'forget', whatever the lyric is, and the 'm' of 'me' is slightly faded in.

This is just before the final chorus.

I must admit, this has been driving me nuts for ages. I have listened aloud. I have listened with headphones. I have listened in the car. I have listened to the UK CD and the Hollywood remaster, and to be honest, I think it is more of an illusion than reality. (So I have not been slow - but thorough).

First, the bit you refer to follows a "silence" so the obvious cut would be after the "weeping guitar" but before the vocal. So I do not think it is an edit splice.

Second, it could be what I have been told is "attack and decay". Now, I am not technically minded, but, simplified Brian attacks the first syllable of the "m" but trails the "e" making it sound more pronounced than it really is - but hey, that's not my theory, just a possible answer from one of my drunken associates!

After a couple of weeks at this, I am no further forwards. Can anyone else take over?

Sorry I can not be of any further help, but in my mind it is there, and yet on other occasions it is not!
John S Stuart
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby queenfan23 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:31 pm

Whatever it is, it does sound natural, that's for certain.

I guess one of the people who might know is Brian May. :P
queenfan23

Re: 1977 Ultimate Collection: News Of The World

Postby queenfan23 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:55 pm

Reading back through the old posts, I noticed that Greg Brooks said that this is a myth...:

John S Stuart wrote:Batteries Not Included - Unreleased:

Is this a track that fans have 'rumoured' about (made up?) or is there proof this exists?
queenfan23

Previous

Return to THE COMPLETE WORKS