List of Available Demos/Unreleased/Pre-Queen Band Songs

Welcome to your first point of call for Queen facts and FAQs, the official partner forum to the Queenonline History Section on the main site.

List of Available Demos/Unreleased/Pre-Queen Band Songs

Postby queenfan23 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:53 pm

This is a list of all the demos, unreleased songs, alternate versions and tracks by pre-Queen bands that are publically available. Publically available, means they can be bought easily on bootlegs or found easily on the internet. I have not included the 'Teaser Tapes', or demos by the solo bands.

Some are available officially; most are not. Please PM me to notify me of any corrections or additions.

Songs by Pre-Queen Bands

1984 Guitar/vocals by Brian May, vocals by Tim Staffell - 1964-1968. All tracks below were recorded at Thames Television studios in early 1967.)
    Hold On! I'm Coming (originally by Sam & Dave)
    Knock On Wood (originally by Otis Redding)
    N.S.U. (originally by Cream)
    How Can It Be (originally by The Birds)
    Step On Me (Take 1) by 1984
    Step On Me (Take 2) by 1984
    Purple Haze (originally by Jimi Hendrix)
    Our Love Is Driftin' (originally by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band)
    Remember (originally by Jimi Hendrix)
    Sweet Wine (originally by Cream)

Left Handed Marriage (Guitar/backing vocals by Brian May - 1967)
    I Need Time
    Appointment
    She Was Once My Friend

Smile (Guitar/vocals/backing vocals by Brian May --- Drums/vocals/backing vocals by Roger Taylor ---> 1968-1970.)
    Doin' All Right
    Blag
    April Lady
    Polar Bear
    Earth
    Step On Me

IBEX (Freddie Mercury on vocals. Tracks below are from a live concert at the Liverpool Sink Club on the 9th September 1969. They were recorded on a reel-to-reel tape recorder.)
    Communication Breakdown (originally by Led Zeppelin)
    Rain (originally by The Beatles)
    We're Going Wrong (originally by Cream)
    Rock Me Baby (originally by Jimi Hendrix)
    Stone Free (originally by Jimi Hendrix)
    Jailhouse Rock (originally by Elvis Presley)
    Crossroads (originally by Cream)
    Vagabond Outcast by IBEX
    We're going home (originally by Ten Years After, arrangement by Ibex)

Wreckage (Freddie Mercury on vocals. The demo tracks below were recorded in a flat/appartment in Barnes, London. ---> 1969. Each version is actually different fragments of the song recorded seperately over a period of ten minutes. Each version features different fragments edited together, but they are essentially the same recording.) (Thanks to JSS for some of the info)
    Green (Version 1)
    Green (Version 2)
    Green (Version 3)
    Green (Version 4)

Larry Lurex (Freddie Mercury on vocals, Brian May on guitar, Roger Taylor on drums ---> 1972.)
    I Can Hear Music (originally by The Beach Boys)
    Goin' Back (originally by Carole King)

Queen Demos

1971 De Lane Lea Demos
    Keep Yourself Alive (Demo)
    The Night Comes Down (Demo)
    Great King Rat (Demo)
    Jesus (Demo)
    Liar (Demo)

Unknown Recording Session - 1971, 1972 or 1973
    Polar Bear (Unreleased song - cover of Polar Bear by Smile - Brian and Roger's pre-Queen band)

BBC Sessions #2 - 25th July 1973
    Keep Yourself Alive
    Liar
    See What A Fool I've Been ('Serious' version with alternate lyrics)
    Son And Daughter

Queen II
    Procession (Demo - different to the album version. Played over the speakers at the Golders Green concert in 1973)
    Funny How Love Is (Instrumental Demo - Take 5). Played at the Dutch Fan Club Convention. Greg Brooks' voice is dubbed over every single 20 seconds of the song; "Property Of Queen Productions". :evil:

BBC Sessions #4 - 3rd April 1974
    Modern Times Rock n' Roll
    Nevermore
    White Queen (As It Began)
    (featuring Freddie Mercury on piano)
    March Of The Black Queen (Album version that fades out at the intro of Funny How Love Is

BBC Sessions #5 - 16th October 1974
    Now I'm Here
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Flick Of The Wrist
    Tenement Funster

News Of The World
    Feelings (Unreleased song)
    Silver Salmon (Unreleased song)

Top Of The Pops - 1977
    Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy (Alternate version recorded and then mimed on Top Of The Pops - 14th July 1977)

BBC Session #6 - 28th October 1977
    Spread Your Wings (Heavy rock version)
    It's Late (featuring electronic/synthesised section, similar to Get Down Make Love)
    My Melancholy Blues (featuring Brian May on guitar)
    We Will Rock You (Slow/Fast Version)

The Game
    Coming Soon(Official Version/Demo Hybrid)

Hot Space
    Feel Like (Unreleased early version of Under Pressure)
    Back Chat (Demo take)
    Action This Day (Demo take)
    Las Palabras De Amor (Demo take)
    Life Is Real (Demo take)
    Cool Cat (Unreleased version, with David Bowie on backing vocals.)

The Works
    Keep Passing The Open Windows (Very Early Piano Demo, featuring piano backing and Freddie humming the tune.)
    Keep Passing The Open Windows (Early Demo, featuring piano backing, drums, bass guitar and Freddie singing mostly lyrics, but humming the tune in other places.)

1985 - Freddie Solo Sessions
    You're The Only One

A Kind Of Magic
    A Kind Of Magic (Highlander Version - Extended, and in the correct pitch. Found on the 2nd disc of Queen - Live At Wembley Stadium.)

1988 Queen Convention
    Dog With A Bone (Unreleased song recorded specially for the 1988 Queen Convention. It was played to the crowd there via the speaker system, but was recorded in a studio - the band did not attend the convention.)

The Miracle
    My Baby Loves Me (Unreleased/alternate version of My Baby Does Me)
    I Guess We're Falling Out (Unreleased song demo)
    Hang On In There (Instrumental Jam, featuring ad-lib vocals)
    A New Life Is Born (Unreleased song demo/early version of Breakthru. The same multi-track vocal intro is used on both songs, but A New Life Is Born diverges into a piano ballad with unfinished lyrics after this vocal section.)
    I Want It All (Guitar multi-track instrumental demo - no synths! Merges into Chinese Torture)
    Stealin' (Demo version, lasting 12 minutes with lots and lots of ad-lib vocals throughout. Practically all of it contains complete lyrics though!)
    Hijack My Heart (Demo. Most of the lyrics are in the song, but some have yet to be written. Also, the music isn't in a final version. Diverges off into a short piano outtro.)
    Self Made Man (Unreleased song demo. Almost complete song - good demo!)

Innuendo
    Robbery (Unreleased song demo)
    My Secret Fantasy (Unreleased song demo)

Made In Heaven
    Let Me Live (Withdrawn version with extra vocals. Withdrawn after a few thousand copies were sold due to the vocals "Take another little piece of my heart" being too similar to the lyrics of a Janis Joplin song. They could either release it and be sued, or withdraw it and remove those vocals, and re-release it. So, they did the latter)
Last edited by queenfan23 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
queenfan23

Postby The Doctor » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:31 pm

Innuendo:

Self Made Man

Was Let Me Live actually released to purchase though? I thought it was just on a US promo cassette.
The Doctor
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Garfield » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:32 pm

I thought Silver Salmon was recorded around the same time as Polar Bear, not during the News Of The World sessions? :?
Garfield

Postby queenfan23 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:37 pm

I've been doing a bit of reading on Queenzone, and quite a few people seem to think Silver Salmon was recorded around the time of the News Of The World album. Polar Bear has the 'Trident drum sound', whereas Silver Salmon doesn't. I can't confirm any of this though!
queenfan23

Postby Kes » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:40 am

Also, I'm not too sure about what you've said about 'Feel Like'. The session that 'Under Pressure' was recorded in was a single session, the only thing done 'after the event' was the final mixing of it. I'd always been led to believe that 'Feel Like' was an already existing in-work song that effectively got reworked (or at least some of the ideas from it) into 'Under Pressure'. Always one happy to be aware of the true story behind things, have you got a reliable source for this info?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Postby John S Stuart » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:24 am

Contrary to popular opinion, only one (and not many) versions of the Ibex/Wreckage track 'Green' exists.

The original home demo cassette tape runs for c10 minutes - with fragments of song and chat intertwined.
The purported various different demos are only different combinations of the small song fragments knitted together.
John S Stuart
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby queenfan23 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:18 pm

Kes wrote:The session that 'Under Pressure' was recorded in was a single session, the only thing done 'after the event' was the final mixing of it. I'd always been led to believe that 'Feel Like' was an already existing in-work song that effectively got reworked (or at least some of the ideas from it) into 'Under Pressure'. Always one happy to be aware of the true story behind things, have you got a reliable source for this info?

You can't really ignore the similarities of it though, whether Feel Like was a different song or not. Surely this song provided a direct influence to Under Pressure, whether it was an early version or not. Both feature the D, A, G, A chord pattern throughout the verses, although Feel Like goes on to alternate between G and A chords on the chorus, whereas Under Pressure goes off in a different direction.
queenfan23

Postby queenfan23 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:24 am

Added You're The Only One to the list :)
queenfan23

Postby Garfield » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:36 am

PTRACER wrote:Added You're The Only One to the list :)

Don't know if you saw it or not, but apparently it was recorded around 1985/6 either in Freddie's solo sessions or as part of the Magic sessions.

All that aside, it's a cracking demo - and so good to hear Freddie's voice on something 'new'. :D
Garfield

Postby fairydandy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:37 am

Garfield wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Added You're The Only One to the list :)

Don't know if you saw it or not, but apparently it was recorded around 1985/6 either in Freddie's solo sessions or as part of the Magic sessions.

All that aside, it's a cracking demo - and so good to hear Freddie's voice on something 'new'. :D

I love it... :D
fairydandy

Postby Zak Royen » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:33 am

very interesting, PT.

i don't understand the bit about Let Me Live though. the version i know does feature the lyrics "why don't you take another little piece of my heart"... does that make it the 'withdrawn version'?
Zak Royen
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Garfield » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:25 am

Zak Royen wrote:very interesting, PT.

i don't understand the bit about Let Me Live though. the version i know does feature the lyrics "why don't you take another little piece of my heart"... does that make it the 'withdrawn version'?

As you know, the album version starts:

"Oooh take a piece of my heart, oooh take a piece of my soul, oooh let me live, oh yeah!"

The withdrawn version starts slightly differently:

"Oooh take another little piece of my heart now baby, take a piece of my heart, take another little piece of my soul now baby, take a piece of my soul, take another little piece of my life now baby, let me live oh yeah!"

As PT says, the song was changed after a threat of legal action by the estate of Janis Joplin, because the song was judged to be very similar to her 1969 song 'Piece Of My Heart'.
Garfield

Postby queenfan23 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:34 pm

Garfield wrote:

"Oooh take another little piece of my heart now baby, take a piece of my heart, take another little piece of my soul now baby, take a piece of my soul, take another little piece of my life now baby, let me live oh yeah!"

Plus there's extra backing lyrics in the song in odd places sung by Roger that were removed.
queenfan23

Postby Zak Royen » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:35 pm

PTRACER wrote:
Garfield wrote:

Plus there's extra backing lyrics in the song in odd places sung by Roger that were removed.

ha, very interesting.
thank you.
Zak Royen
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby queenfan23 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:19 pm

Hey Zak, have you never heard it? :shock:
queenfan23

Next

Return to THE COMPLETE WORKS