Queen 'Rarities'

Welcome to your first point of call for Queen facts and FAQs, the official partner forum to the Queenonline History Section on the main site.

Queen 'Rarities'

Postby 'Bea' » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:15 pm

As I was peeling the veggies for Christmas dinner tomorrow (I know it's a bit early), I was listening to my ipod.

Freddie started singing 'AKOM' but it wasn't the usual one, then it was followed by 'Feel Like', and
then Hijack my Heart. By this time I was thoroughly confused because I don't remember hearing any of them before.

Anyway, when I got home again I checked on itunes on the listing and there are 20 or 30 tunes called 'The Rarities'. I've probably downloaded them at sometime, maybe with the complete discography or something.

My question is have I found a little treasure trove of stuff that you don't normally hear, or is there a disc out there with these on. Looking at them there seems to be extracts from demos and
12" versions of tracks, there's one by Smile, and AOBTD by Free.

So does anybody know anything about these?

Please no sarcastic comments saying that they're well known tracks and everybody knows about them and as a Queen fan I should have been aware of them since 1971 or some such crap. They're new to me, and if it hadn't been for the peeling of the vegetables I probably wouldn't have even listened to them. (I just loaded my ipod with the new album and a load of other Queen stuff and didn't even look to see what I was doing)

There's no bad day that can't be overcome by listening to some good music.
'Bea'
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Re: Queen 'Rarities'

Postby WeeMann » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Sounds like you've downloaded some bits at various times, but I think one is named wrongly - Free had long since split up when AOBTD was released.

Is the version of AKOM the one from the end credits of Highlander? A more laid back version without the main bass riff?

Feel Like is the idea which became Under Pressure and Hijack My Heart was a Miracle B-side.
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
WeeMann

Postby 'Bea' » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Well I've gone off halfcocked again, I really should read stuff properly.

Ha!!! I've looked at them properly and some of them are those awful mashupmixup
thingies :lol: Can't wait to hear the 'headbanger's mix' of hammer to fall. :lol: (It's not that bad
to be honest)

Well it's interesting at any rate.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/ ... rities.jpg

I've just looked at my Queen file on itunes, it says I've got 1621 songs (I suspect there could
be a few duplicates in there don't you?)

'Bea'
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm

The Headbanger's mix is the standard 12" mix - it's official.
If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up The Times - Tues 17 Jun, 2008
WeeMann

Postby 'Bea' » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm really enjoying this. The extract from Bohemian Rhapsody is Brian saying,' Take one of mark two version of Fred's 'Thing' ' They sound so confused, it must have been hell to record this oddity. :lol:

'Bea'
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby theQueen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:06 am

'Bea' wrote:As I was peeling the veggies for Christmas dinner tomorrow (I know it's a bit early), I was listening to my ipod.

Freddie started singing 'AKOM' but it wasn't the usual one, then it was followed by 'Feel Like', and
then Hijack my Heart. By this time I was thoroughly confused because I don't remember hearing any of them before.

Anyway, when I got home again I checked on itunes on the listing and there are 20 or 30 tunes called 'The Rarities'. I've probably downloaded them at sometime, maybe with the complete discography or something.

My question is have I found a little treasure trove of stuff that you don't normally hear, or is there a disc out there with these on. Looking at them there seems to be extracts from demos and
12" versions of tracks, there's one by Smile, and AOBTD by Free.

So does anybody know anything about these?

Please no sarcastic comments saying that they're well known tracks and everybody knows about them and as a Queen fan I should have been aware of them since 1971 or some such crap. They're new to me, and if it hadn't been for the peeling of the vegetables I probably wouldn't have even listened to them. (I just loaded my ipod with the new album and a load of other Queen stuff and didn't even look to see what I was doing)

I have been listening to a lot of 12" mixes today actually ...they are great .... absolutely great ...I think this alone is MUCH more interesting than the latest Queen-product :roll:
I actually have some on vinyl ....(pic-12" of AKOM ....beautiful picture btw & IWTBF too) very interesting anyway .... picked up Body language PROMO (one side is in stereo other side is in mono) ....just brilliant stuff ! :cool: oh yeah ...and I just download it as well .... love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers ....take care and bye

theQueen :biggrin:
theQueen : President of the "album-club","tcr-investigations","Paul Rodgers inflatable rescue-boats-company","proud QOL/QPL-member"

I looooooveeeee girls with great big t*ts and great big ar*es !!!! yoooohooo !!!!
theQueen
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Location: living in a disgusting and cold city, where everybody's dead ... DEAD! on the inside

Postby Kes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:16 pm

WeeMann wrote:The Headbanger's mix is the standard 12" mix - it's official.

Not necessarily.

The 12" version released in 1984 WAS indeed called "The Headbanger's Mix", but to add a little to the confusion, A Brian Malouf (well, TWO really, if you count the Radio edit) remix was issued by Hollywood Records, as a promo CD in about 1992, this was ALSO titled "The Headbanger's Mix" and is completely different to the original 12" mix. You can easily tell the Malouf "Headbanger's mix" by the accentuated snare drum beat every five seconds or so throughout it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Postby RCUPIDO » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Kes wrote:
The 12" version released in 1984 WAS indeed called "The Headbanger's Mix", but to add a little to the confusion, A Brian Malouf (well, TWO really, if you count the Radio edit) remix was issued by Hollywood Records, as a promo CD in about 1992, this was ALSO titled "The Headbanger's Mix" and is completely different to the original 12" mix. You can easily tell the Malouf "Headbanger's mix" by the accentuated snare drum beat every five seconds or so throughout it.

Yes,exactly... :cool:
I am ROYAL Cimino CUPIDO,a man caught in the Majestic Cosmos of LOVE!...Queen=Bliss,Royal Cimino Cupido=Bliss,Nice Ladies=Bliss,LIFE=BLISS!...Yes!»I MET Natalie Portman at the OSCARS Show!I met Natalie Portman!=SUPERBLISS!...Ah!...
RCUPIDO
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Return to THE COMPLETE WORKS