Queen Rock in Rio Opinion

Talk about Queen's live performances!

Re: Queen Rock in Rio Opinion

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:51 pm

It all depends how clear the masters are. On VHS AND Laserdisc the concert looks very hazy, and this might be down the technology available at the time, and how far most of those cables had to go between the cameras and the video mixing suite. If the cameras also carried their own tapes, and these were transferred as soon as possible to a "master", then there's potential, otherwise it's the quality it was on the VHS, and what you see, is what you get, it's very hard to restore something that was that bad at the time that it was recorded. If THAT is the case, and it's irretrievable, then I can't see it getting a DVD issue.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Postby Ice On Fire » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Damn you are crushing my dreams this morning Kes :P .
I would like to see Rio on DVD than Budapest. Why is the quality so bad at Rio? Shame.
Times have changed and times are strange
Here I come but I ain't the same
Ice On Fire
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Location: The one where you will be the first to forget and you will be the last to remember

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:18 pm

I guess the main reason it was filmed (sorry, video'd), was, I'd guess, primarily for TV broadcast in South America. The venue was gi-f*cking-normous, and so I haven't got a clue where the video signals were sent to for mixing and editing, possibly behind the stage, possibly outside the venue. The sound, as far as I know was multi-tracked, so that shouldn't be an issue. Budapest on the other hand, was about 30 or so individual cinematic quality cameras, all with real film in them, so at the time it was all assembled, there was no degradation. I always wonder what happens to the bits of film that weren't used? Probably thrown in the bin, as you couldn't use film again, back then. What a bloody waste, when you think of how useful it could have been to have it nowadays, with multi-angle and all that shit on DVDs and blu-rays.

As far as video imagery is concerned, the two Japanese shows available on laserdisc, and DVDs (bootleg and semi-official Japanese), are IMHO better quality than Rio is. Might concede that they not be better shows though.
Kes

Postby eiricd » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:51 pm

the only way I can think of Rio getting an official release in the future is if they put together some of the sd concert on one blu-ray / a small box set - in order to take advantage of the storage on the new media

even though the picture isn't top notch - I'm sure a remix of the audio could do the show wonders. I've always hated the drumsound on the 84/85 tour
Thankyou Paul Rodgers, for your time, effort and massive talent - enabling Queen to go out again from 2005 - 2008.
I salute you
eiricd
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:56 pm

If you've heard the drum sound on Final Live in Japan, then I'm sure you'll appreciate that it got worse before it got better.
Kes

Postby eiricd » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Kes wrote:If you've heard the drum sound on Final Live in Japan, then I'm sure you'll appreciate that it got worse before it got better.

hehe, Japan 85 is indeed just as bad / worse. the PQ on Japan is very good though - considering it's SD. so I wouldn't mind a remix of that gig and have it released properly (and make spike edney "the extra keyboard" instead of the most prominent instrument)
Thankyou Paul Rodgers, for your time, effort and massive talent - enabling Queen to go out again from 2005 - 2008.
I salute you
eiricd
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby planetgirl » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Does Caracas exist in its entirety? From the few bits I've seen it looks like a wild old gig - really great...!
planetgirl
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby vinylman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:24 am

As regards 'Budapest', wasn't the filming a joint venture between QPL and the national film board of Hungary (hence the amount of cameras used)?. I'm sure QPL would have insisted on retaining everything from each camera.
vinylman
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:46 am

vinylman wrote:As regards 'Budapest', wasn't the filming a joint venture between QPL and the national film board of Hungary (hence the amount of cameras used)?. I'm sure QPL would have insisted on retaining everything from each camera.

You'd have thought so, wouldn't you?

I "do" know that in the case of the Montreal shows, which was also a 'joint' venture, that film-wise, Saul Swimmer threw away EVERYTHING that didn't make the final edit. The only thing the band had was the audio, and Saul's final visual master. So, who knows what the band managed to get hold of, or what they kept of Budapest? I'd have thought, if it was that useful, it'd already be 'out there' with multiple camera angles, and bucketloads of footage of Brian crapping himself in a hot air balloon, Roger trying to start a stalled go-kart, Freddie getting smashed at his birthday party, and Deacy being chased by some young nipper's angry parents for stalking their daughter.
Kes

Postby KingofRhye » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:27 am

Plus I think Queen were supported by Iron Maiden and Whitesnake that night - what an awesome line up!
KingofRhye
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby baby.b » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:27 am

Kes wrote:For the same reason, I don't understand people getting pissed out of their heads at concerts either. A few years back I had a friend who'd been at Wembley on the Friday night gig in '86. I asked him what the gig was like, he told me all he remembered was that he'd got as drunk as a skunk, and had a good time. I'm sure he could have done "that" a lot cheaper elsewhere, and let someone have his ticket who'd have stayed sober enough to appreciate going to see one of the best live acts of the time.

i remember quite a bit of trouble on the friday show manly status quo fans after they had finished,and a number of people staggering around drunk
baby.b
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:55 am

baby.b wrote:

i remember quite a bit of trouble on the friday show manly status quo fans after they had finished,and a number of people staggering around drunk

To be fair, there was a lot of that at every Queen gig I went to. I never did understand people paying that much money for a ticket, and then getting smashed out of their heads before the main act even came on. I understand people getting drunk, but it seems a bit of a waste doing it when you're mainly there to experience one of the best bands in the world.
Kes

Postby Bluerhapsody » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Kes wrote:
baby.b wrote:

To be fair, there was a lot of that at every Queen gig I went to. I never did understand people paying that much money for a ticket, and then getting smashed out of their heads before the main act even came on. I understand people getting drunk, but it seems a bit of a waste doing it when you're mainly there to experience one of the best bands in the world.

I was at Wembley on Saturday. One of the main reasons for more drunks than usual was that they were serving cut price Harp lager as they were one of the sponsers.
On the plus side they were giving away free Marlboro cigs when my body was still young enough to smoke. (stopped 20 years ago) . My body is now a temple though showing cracks round the walls and crumbling slowly from within.
Bluerhapsody
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby baby.b » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:26 am

anyone remember how wonderful INXS were on that tour ?
baby.b
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby Ride_The_Wild_Wind » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:23 pm

KingofRhye wrote:Plus I think Queen were supported by Iron Maiden and Whitesnake that night - what an awesome line up!

Yeah, Iron Maiden's perfomance is extra on the Live After Death DVD.
ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΑ - MACEDONIA NAME IS GREEK HISTORY 200 Classical Scholars from around the world, sent a letter to the President of the United States of America, Barack Obama.
:arrow: http://macedonia-evidence.org/obama-letter.html
Ride_The_Wild_Wind
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to LIVE KILLERS