Audience participation at Queen concerts....

Talk about Queen's live performances!

Audience participation at Queen concerts....

Postby Ice On Fire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:09 am

Something I have been wondering about for quite some time. Does anyone know of the first concert where the audience participation by hand clapping to Radio Ga Ga, and singing along to such songs as "39 etc? If you were lucky enough to see Queen live did you join in? Do you think it added more or less to the concerts? Did the band mind fans singing along, or did they like it? Etc.
Anything you would like to share please do and thanks if anyone replies :)
Times have changed and times are strange
Here I come but I ain't the same
Ice On Fire
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Location: The one where you will be the first to forget and you will be the last to remember

Re: Audience participation at Queen concerts....

Postby Two sharp pencils » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:50 am

Well regards to Radio ga ga the video was released early '84 so most people would have seen the video & so by the time of The Works tour most fans would know what to do regarding the clapping.Also Freddie was never slow with encouraging the crowd,the one thing (of many) that still sticks in my mind today is standing on tiptoes (during Radio ga ga) at Knebworth & seeing a sea of hands all clapping in time - a truly amazing sight god knows what it looked like from the stage.I truly believed the more audience participation Queen/Freddie got the more it pushed them on to perform better & also some areas around the world were more inclined to just watch the band (Montreal for one).From my first Queen concert (1978) to the last '86 (Knebworth) the crowds definitely got more & more into the shows,became part of the show if you like,as time went on.By '86 there were so many songs in their set that just demanded a sing a long & also 'Live aid' had a massive effect because the Whole world saw (that day) the clapping en mass (for ga ga) & Freddie's audience call & response,We will rock you (clapping & chanting) & of course 'Champions' (with it's almost football terrace swaying & singing) - So by the time of the Magic Tour Queen were Huge & So by the time of the shows everyone there was expecting a party & knew they would participating a lot during the show.Also by the Magic tour Queen were the best at these kind of shows ( a lot of artists even today woudn't dream or even have the balls to encourage the crowd like Freddie) even The Stones at this time ('86) couldn't better Queen.
Two sharp pencils
We Will Rock You
We Will Rock You

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 am

I personally don't like audience participation that much. I always get a weird feeling when many people feel compelled to do something because everyone else does it too.
I understand that it was a stupid accusation that Queen are fascists when they used this stuff in the Gaga video, and I also know it is tongue in cheek when they do it live, but it still doesn't always feel right for me.
However, and that will sound like blasphemy for a lot of people here, the most amazing moment I witnessed concerning audience participation was the moment in Queen+Paul Rodgers concerts 2005 when the crowd sang the chorus line to "Alright Now" all alone.
With the lack of any personal experience concerning Queen gigs I can only rely on the films I have seen and it seems obvious that they are constantly encouraging the crowd to sing along.
We're only immortal for a limited time.
Simon
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby Bluerhapsody » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Even in 1973 a Queen concert was escapist entertainment from what was going on socially at that time,eg, high unemployment and power cuts. I think most Queen fans and the band themselves would agree it was a shared experience. I`ve been to other concerts with"big named" bands but it never hit the experience of a Queen concert. I think Freddie`s master of ceremonies role grew in later years but in the 70`s the audience participation happened automatically.
Getting to the original point, the first live airing of Radio Gaga was the Works Tour. I guess at that time the video had a huge impact because at the Birmingham concert I attended the clapping and hand gestures happened without prompting and the house lights were put on mid song to capture what was an extrodanarily powerful coming together of band and fans. As for the fascist element? get a life and don`t be silly. A Queen concert was and continues to be great fun because of the sharing between the band and the fans.
Bluerhapsody
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:08 pm

The Love of My Life audience participation really took off on the 1978 tour. It was at one of the gigs in Stafford in May 1978 when Freddie decided to allow the audience to take over some of the vocals.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Of course!! Mentioning Love of my Life: It was very moving in Hannover and Rotterdam in 2008! I think that was even more beautiful!
We're only immortal for a limited time.
Simon
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 pm

Didn't Brian say he was moved to write WWRY after a gig when the audience sang You'll Never Walk Alone before the encore instead of the usual chant od We Want More.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Ice On Fire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Simon wrote:I personally don't like audience participation that much. I always get a weird feeling when many people feel compelled to do something because everyone else does it too.
I understand that it was a stupid accusation that Queen are fascists when they used this stuff in the Gaga video, and I also know it is tongue in cheek when they do it live, but it still doesn't always feel right for me.
However, and that will sound like blasphemy for a lot of people here, the most amazing moment I witnessed concerning audience participation was the moment in Queen+Paul Rodgers concerts 2005 when the crowd sang the chorus line to "Alright Now" all alone.
With the lack of any personal experience concerning Queen gigs I can only rely on the films I have seen and it seems obvious that they are constantly encouraging the crowd to sing along.

I forgot to mention I like it when the audience participates. However I have just seen on video, DVD. Of course it is different than being there. I know everytime I watch the Freddie Tribute I am blown away as much by the audiance as I am by the performances.
Ice On Fire
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Location: The one where you will be the first to forget and you will be the last to remember

Postby JLP » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 pm

I would have to check but I think Greg Brooks said about the Stafford gig regarding LOML. I was at the gig on the Saturday. It would be really nice to be a part of something that developed into something that was integral to a Queen gig.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Ice On Fire » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:07 am

That would be nice. Did you join in(honest question)
Ice On Fire
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Crisstti » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:09 am

Brian said in some interview that at the beginning he was annoyed by the audience singing along. That he felt they were interfering with Freddie's vocals. Then he says he thinks it's funny that he felt that way (something like that).

"You can be anything you want to be".
Crisstti
The Show Must Go On
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:14 am

Ice On Fire wrote:That would be nice. Did you join in(honest question)

31 years go Ice but I guess i did.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Ice On Fire » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:18 am

JLP wrote:
Ice On Fire wrote:That would be nice. Did you join in(honest question)

31 years go Ice but I guess i did.

Thats really special...I know I am a nosy so and so at times but I like reading about things like that. Thanks for sharing :)
Ice On Fire
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 pm

JLP wrote:The Love of My Life audience participation really took off on the 1978 tour. It was at one of the gigs in Stafford in May 1978 when Freddie decided to allow the audience to take over some of the vocals.

I know it had really caught on, and was simply "what was done" by Wembley, the same tour, so well done! :lol:

I think the ONLY time that I can recall that I've ever heard Freddie sing it ALL the way through, was on the filmed Montreal gigs later released as We Will Rock You, and then Queen Rocks Montreal.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Postby Pluto » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Kes wrote:
JLP wrote:The Love of My Life audience participation really took off on the 1978 tour. It was at one of the gigs in Stafford in May 1978 when Freddie decided to allow the audience to take over some of the vocals.

I know it had really caught on, and was simply "what was done" by Wembley, the same tour, so well done! :lol:

I think the ONLY time that I can recall that I've ever heard Freddie sing it ALL the way through, was on the filmed Montreal gigs later released as We Will Rock You, and then Queen Rocks Montreal.

He did the same in Dorog.
Pluto
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to LIVE KILLERS