Ian Highlander

The place to report problems, or give feedback about this message board or the entire Queenonline site.

Ian Highlander

Postby JLP » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:40 pm

On Monday Ian sent me a message telling me that he has decided to step down from the admin role on QOL. Since the board upgrade he has been denied access to make improvements as he did on the last board. This is due to official EMI policy and it seems that nothing can be done despite Ian's excellent track record.

On behalf of the board as a whole I know that the stuff he did took QOL up several notches. His expertise solved several issues and improved many others. I think QOL will suffer for his absence however I respect his decision.

On a personal level he was always willing to guide me through some of the software when I got a bit stuck. Never did he make me feel stupid or patronised.

It has been a pleasure to work with him and it is a mark of the guy that he will still give me guidance in the future should I need it.

Thank you seems quite hollow at times but I am really grateful for Ian's help and I am sure everyone will back me up on this.

There will be a place for another moderator but that will start in a couple of days. For now I think we should just dedicate this thread to Ian Highlander.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Re: Ian Highlander

Postby Champs » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:55 pm

A nice genuine good sound bloke.
Double Q calling secret squirrel, over.
Champs
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby Lord Pastieman.Steve » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:17 pm

What a sad day in QOL history, Ian has done more for this site than most of us will ever know and I am sure EMI have made one hell of a mistake in stopping him from helping out on this site and taking a lot of work to make this place run better off of their shoulders.
Ian is a smashing bloke who deserves to be treated better than this by EMI after all he has done, dont blame you for stepping down mate and thanks for everything you have done and all the help and advise you have given to QOL members.
Last edited by Lord Pastieman.Steve on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Pastieman.Steve
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Leader of the cronies, allegedly LMAO. Just call me Grandad

Postby Taryn » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Steve has already said roughly what I was going to say. Just sorry to see you step down Ian and thanks for all your hard work. I hope you still carry on posting here and also hope to see you again at the meet ups in the future.
Taryn
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:05 pm

QOL will never be the same again. Just as JLP said, QOL will suffer for it, but it's a perfectly understandable decision. As Taryn said, I hope you'll stick around on the board anyway. Thank you for everything, especially the test forum for especially addicted members. ;)

I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby YourValentine » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:28 pm

You do not need my public praise, Ian. You know what I think about this.

They do not deserve you.
--
http://www.queenzone.com
Join the regular chat sessions at
http://www.queenzone.com/queen/chat/
--
YourValentine
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby Delilah » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:48 pm

Ian, I'll echoe the sentiment. They do not deserve you. Thank you for all that you did. You were amazing as technical admin. Preventing you from improving the board was a very stupid move on their part. It's a very thankless position most of the time, so enjoy this thread. :P
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Mr_Mercury » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 pm

YourValentine wrote:You do not need my public praise, Ian. You know what I think about this.

They do not deserve you.

Obviously I have no idea what YV has said to you, Ian, but I have this funny feeling that I would certainly agree with her. You will be missed on this site if you dont post at least.

The lover who just walked out your door
Has taken all his blankets from the floor.
The carpet, too, is moving under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.
Mr_Mercury
Spread Your Wings
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:16 pm

From what I understand Ian will remain a poster on here. When I took the admin position I specifically said I would like Ian to come on board for his technical expertise. I wasn't that confident about playing around with the board settings. My skills lay elsewhere.

However he was more than just a techie. He was a damm good admin too as well as a top bloke. We had one hell of a night at a WWRY meet up and I felt instantly comfortable in his company. Not sure who was the most pissed by the end of the night though.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Ice On Fire » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:25 am

Thanks for all you have done Ian :bigups: .
Times have changed and times are strange
Here I come but I ain't the same
Ice On Fire
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Location: The one where you will be the first to forget and you will be the last to remember

Postby lord of all darkness. » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:09 am

One of the nicest guys i have met from qol. I can understand your decision to step down. All the best in your private life.
lord of all darkness.
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bhm0129ad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:01 am

I am sorry to see Ian go. I don't know you Ian, nor have I been around long enough to be able to fully appreciate your role and input, but I can tell it was not insignificant.
I am just sorry that the powers that be have forced your hnd this way.
Best of luck.

I would be interested to know how new mods are chosen, is it an applicatio process? a voting system or do the existing mods choose who to invite?

I know it's a politician type thing to say, but this does NOT mean I am declaring an interest in the role.
bhm0129ad
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:24 am

bhm0129ad wrote:I am sorry to see Ian go. I don't know you Ian, nor have I been around long enough to be able to fully appreciate your role and input, but I can tell it was not insignificant.
Best of luck.

I would be interested to know how new mods are chosen, is it an applicatio process? a voting system or do the existing mods choose who to invite?

I know it's a politician type thing to say, but this does NOT mean I am declaring an interest in the role.

we usually invite nominations, have a week long campaign and then a vote via PM. Can't see us doing anything different this time around.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Bristol Lass » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:22 pm

Sorry to hear this news but it was not unexpected after they wouldn't let him do anything.
Thanks for everything geeky.

Why do we need a mod election, can he not continue as a Mod?
Last edited by Bristol Lass on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Idiots could fly, this place would be an Airport
Bristol Lass
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bhm0129ad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:58 pm

JLP wrote:
bhm0129ad wrote:I am sorry to see Ian go. I don't know you Ian, nor have I been around long enough to be able to fully appreciate your role and input, but I can tell it was not insignificant.
Best of luck.

we usually invite nominations, have a week long campaign and then a vote via PM. Can't see us doing anything different this time around.

Thanks for the info JLP.
bhm0129ad
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to QUEENONLINE