Moscow Metro hit by Suicide Bombings

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Moscow Metro hit by Suicide Bombings

Postby CoolCat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 pm

At least 36 people have been killed after two female suicide bombers blew themselves up on Moscow Metro trains in the morning rush hour, officials say.
No group has yet said it carried out the attacks, but past suicide bombings in the capital have been carried out by or blamed on Islamist rebels fighting for independence in Chechnya. :mad:
CoolCat
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Moscow Metro hit by Suicide Bombings

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:45 pm

What in the world, next! :roll: :evil:
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby WhiteMouse » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Regular people got hurt instead of the government. As always. :(
Ooh, it makes me wonder...
WhiteMouse
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:28 pm

It's just 'Islamists' blowing themselves up again, it's no biggie. It's what they do.
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Broooklyn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 pm

fairydandy wrote:It's just 'Islamists' blowing themselves up again, it's no biggie. It's what they do.

:lol: Exactly. At least once a month when riding the train, a pan handler will come into the car and ask for money. The above is no different. Ya just gotta ignore the bombers like we do the pan handlers. We are all equals, just got different ways of doing things. ;)
ImageImageImage
Broooklyn
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: When somethin'z broke...I wanna put a bit'a fixin' on it!

Postby CoolCat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:50 pm

fairydandy wrote:It's just 'Islamists' blowing themselves up again, it's no biggie. It's what they do.

I think the poor innocent sods that got blown to bits would disagree with you, and i'm not talking about the brain-washed suicide bombers.
CoolCat
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WhiteMouse » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 pm

CoolCat wrote:

I think the poor innocent sods that got blown to bits would disagree with you, and i'm not talking about the brain-washed suicide bombers.

Yes, Cat.
I still haven't got any response from the relative who lives in the city. I hope he wasn't there.
Ooh, it makes me wonder...
WhiteMouse
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 pm

CoolCat wrote:

But I am being serious. This is the way of the world now. If the 'Islamists' can't get their own way, they strap a bomb to themselves and kill innocent people. That's life nowadays. One day maybe they will blow me up...but again, that's life. It's hardly newsworthy anymore, we just have to pretend that they aren't there.
fairydandy
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:01 am

You have to have some very strong feelings to want to kill yourself though. The religious reasons are difficult to deal with, but the political reasons are perhaps a bit more open to negotiation.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 am

Cooolklyn wrote:

:lol: Exactly. At least once a month when riding the train, a pan handler will come into the car and ask for money. The above is no different. Ya just gotta ignore the bombers like we do the pan handlers. We are all equals, just got different ways of doing things. ;)

When has a pan handler killed someone because he didn't get some change?
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:12 am

fairydandy wrote:
CoolCat wrote:

But I am being serious. This is the way of the world now. If the 'Islamists' can't get their own way, they strap a bomb to themselves and kill innocent people. That's life nowadays. One day maybe they will blow me up...but again, that's life. It's hardly newsworthy anymore, we just have to pretend that they aren't there.

Never a truer word. If a cause doesn't get publicity, then it doesn't seem to stay a cause for very long. If any philosophy on terrorism is the one we should adopt, its more or less exactly along these lines, but...

The only disturbing thorn in the backside with this is that your average suicide bomber recruitment service, will just up-scale the event until it DOES get publicity and media attention, maybe change the target to a kindergarten, or a church, or something equally "out of bounds" and sacrilegious, until they do hit a nerve. It's a media circus, and the people getting killed (including the poor misguided instruments of doom) are just screwdrivers in the tool-kit of getting a point across. TBH, they are a lot cheaper than having to use an advertising agency.

From the wider aspect, the reason they chose a subway, as per 7/7, is it's fairly low resources for a lot of effect, because people are extremely vulnerable down there, it's difficult to either get injured people out, or medical services in, and it disrupts a large portion of the community. It worries people about going on an underground system, the same way 9/11 worried people about going on planes.

I'm not really sure whether or not there is a low-cost solution to terrorism. You can educate people all you want as to why it is fundamentally wrong, but they can always find someone who is disillusioned enough with their situation, indoctrinate them to believe their sacrifice will make a difference, and that whatever afterlife there may be, will be kind to their atomised remains. In security terms, I'm not sure if there's anything harder to reason with, than someone who isn't actually that bothered about being around to be involved in the solution to the problem they are protesting about.

In a nutshell, I'm not disagreeing with the "ignore the f*ckers" philosophy in the slightest, only saying a couple of reasons why I think we haven't already done it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But then forgot how to learn!
Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:35 am

Which opens the wider question of exploiting (what the US government call our modern day 'Globalised') society. (sorry to sidetrack the thread :oops: )

You can't really blame anyone (or should that read 'everyone') who follows Islam that their community is wholly responsible for breeding the vast majority of terrorists. This is like blaming all men that their gender breeds 100% of potential rapists. The only annoyance to this, is that if the glove was on the other foot, and it was Westerners going round the middle east blowing themselves up in street markets and mosques, then someone, somewhere would eventually ban white people from entering the country. However, it doesn't mean they would be right to do this, only lacking in the ability to find a practicable solution to the problem.

I (currently) work in an industry that's constantly trying to second guess the ingenuity of a twisted mind, from explosive underpants, and body cavity inserted packages, to people carrying binary liquid IEDs in baby feeding bottles, and supposed necessary medicine bottles. As an aside, (and not particularly wanting to put ideas in anyone's heads) I wonder if anyone has considered the prospect of a couple of people drinking these normally harmless fluids (OK maybe not THAT harmless, but the people ARE trying to kill themselves anyway), and doing a bit of DIY bulimia and bomb-making in the aircraft toilets once they've cleared security? How the f*ck can you deal with that? The only answer is to be as vigilant as you can be, and watch out for people being "shifty", which is obviously a bit difficult if you're someone 'on the rich side', comfortably asleep and horizontal in your first class retractable bed. Brian May and your badgers, take note!
Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Cooolklyn wrote:

When has a pan handler killed someone because he didn't get some change?

I'm quite sure if he was asking for change, whilst visibly wearing a plain waistcoat packed with a couple of dozen large white wrapper cake bars, linked together with red licorice string, and menacingly holding a camera thumb-switch high up in the air, people would be furiously digging in their pockets, even if they didn't have any.

TBH, I'd probably tip the entire contents of my wallet on the floor (and for that matter, my digestive tract too!)

An interesting career enhancement prospect for New York's homeless, eh? :bomb:
Kes

Postby JLP » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 am

Completely mad of course, blowing yourself up along with as many others as possible.

The speculation is that this is to do with Chechnya where the Ruskies have been committing atrocities for decades against the population there.
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:16 pm

I was watching a programme last night (a documentary), where it showed the Russians had shot down a Korean Airways B747 (2/3 full of passengers), mistaking it for an American spy plane. Of course, they denied all knowledge, until Glasnost, when Boris Yeltsin stuck his hand up sheepishly, and said they'd done it, and it was a bad Korea move on their part.

Firstly, don't fly Korean Airlines, and secondly, especially don't fly Korean Airlines when the pilot fully programmes in the way-points but forgets to select to L Nav, and leaves the aircraft following the last entered bearing in magnetic heading. Assuming you're unlucky enough for all that to happen, hope the aircraft doesn't stray into the airspace of an extremely paranoid communist trigger happy state.

Nothing to do with terrorism, but a bit to do with Russia.
Kes

Next

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?