Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Loretta » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:31 am

Elessar wrote:I think we'd have to come up with a more environmentally friendly execution method than burning. How do you feel about being eaten by lions?

As long as they've been humanely bred in a non-threatening and open environment, I'm absolutely all for it. Unless they've ever shown homosexual tendencies (licking each other, grooming, watersports), in which case, i'm totally against it.
User avatar
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:02 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... defying gravity

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 am

Delilah wrote:
Loretta wrote:I still think it's wrong that the accused are allowed to be named like that. Fuck all chance of a fair trial. But at least it sold a few papers and got the good old moral majority up in arms. Lets just publicly flay everyone as soon as an accusation is made, even if it's just for witchcraft, and save the rainforests by giving the papers fuck all to print about.


I'm surprised that the names have been released like this, given that they are minors. Must be a state-by-state thing, because I don't think that they can do that in my own state.

It sounds like bad bullying, but I saw worse in my own high school. Not saying it's right, but maybe putting teens in jail for bullying isn't the right way to go. It's a huge problem that I just don't see jail time fixing. There has to be a better way of dealing with it. I'm also very much not okay with high school teenagers having sex with one another being a crime. The age differences just aren't that dramatic. These statutory rape laws need some serious tweaking.


The girls were posting on Facebook and in private texts to the girl, Phoebe. That makes it public by their own accounting if they are going to bully on a public forum lik FB or via texting because it can be proven that way. Plus they apparently didn't care who saw what they did and said and I would imagine they probably did want it seen by everyone.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:42 am

Oh nice, someone posted this.

cyrano (not verified)at 18:01 on March 31st, 2010


i don't care what the reason is for you killing yourself she is a disgrace to humanity and unnatural to the order of things my condolences to the family but i hope she is forgotten for her terrible sin
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Delilah » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:43 am

Innuendoes wrote:Oh nice, someone posted this.

cyrano (not verified)at 18:01 on March 31st, 2010


i don't care what the reason is for you killing yourself she is a disgrace to humanity and unnatural to the order of things my condolences to the family but i hope she is forgotten for her terrible sin


Wow. What an asshole.
User avatar
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Delilah » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 am

Innuendoes wrote:The girls were posting on Facebook and in private texts to the girl, Phoebe. That makes it public by their own accounting if they are going to bully on a public forum lik FB or via texting because it can be proven that way. Plus they apparently didn't care who saw what they did and said and I would imagine they probably did want it seen by everyone.


I never said it was a nice thing to do. It's horrible. I'm just not convinced that the criminal courts are the best places to tackle "Mean Girls" type bullying.
User avatar
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Loretta » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:47 am

Innuendoes wrote:I just saw the article a few minutes ago, briefly read it and decided to post it. No, it doesn't say the girl, Sharon Chanon Velazquez, was involvd in the rape but the whole case is pretty bad.


Now, I'm not having a go at you individually, Inny, I'm really not... but this is the crux of why I hate the media so much. You read bits of the article, mainly the first sensational bits, and drew conclusions from it. You missed the factual parts. And this is my whole bugbear with modern media.

Exactly the same thing happened today with some friends of mine who read the article "70 year old grandmother given ASBO [our tagging order that imposes a curfew on the person] for selling goldfish". They were absolutely indignant about this travesty of justice, and the waste of tax payers money. As the son of said woman pointed out (who was also tagged), the only thing it's stopped her doing is going to bingo, or babysitting her grandkids.

On the surface, it's a clear cut case of the justice system failing, but if you read to the end of the article, selling a goldfish to a minor without parental consent was the least serious of the things she was investigated for, including having a parrot on sale that was so ill it had to be put down, and selling a gerbil to a retard who then put it into a cup of coffee and killed it.

I want facts from the "news" media, not speculation, witchhunts and supposition.
User avatar
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:02 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... defying gravity

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:47 am

Delilah wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Oh nice, someone posted this.

cyrano (not verified)at 18:01 on March 31st, 2010


i don't care what the reason is for you killing yourself she is a disgrace to humanity and unnatural to the order of things my condolences to the family but i hope she is forgotten for her terrible sin


Wow. What an asshole.


Yea, that's the way a lot of kids are nowadays and I will bet this person who posted this knows one of the people who were charged or is one of them, themself.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:48 am

Loretta wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:I just saw the article a few minutes ago, briefly read it and decided to post it. No, it doesn't say the girl, Sharon Chanon Velazquez, was involvd in the rape but the whole case is pretty bad.


Now, I'm not having a go at you individually, Inny, I'm really not... but this is the crux of why I hate the media so much. You read bits of the article, mainly the first sensational bits, and drew conclusions from it. You missed the factual parts. And this is my whole bugbear with modern media.

Exactly the same thing happened today with some friends of mine who read the article "70 year old grandmother given ASBO [our tagging order that imposes a curfew on the person] for selling goldfish". They were absolutely indignant about this travesty of justice, and the waste of tax payers money. As the son of said woman pointed out (who was also tagged), the only thing it's stopped her doing is going to bingo, or babysitting her grandkids.

On the surface, it's a clear cut case of the justice system failing, but if you read to the end of the article, selling a goldfish to a minor without parental consent was the least serious of the things she was investigated for, including having a parrot on sale that was so ill it had to be put down, and selling a gerbil to a retard who then put it into a cup of coffee and killed it.

I want facts from the "news" media, not speculation, witchhunts and supposition.


Go read what I posted above about the texting and Facebook posts.
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Loretta » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:51 am

Innuendoes wrote:Go read what I posted above about the texting and Facebook posts.

So it was that that made you go look at the newspaper article? You read those facebook posts before you heard about the story?

Am I advocating bullying? Of course Im not. Am I advocating having the facts and not beleiving everything you read, sifting through the hyperbole and weeding out the actual importance? Hell fucking yes I am.
Last edited by Loretta on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:02 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... defying gravity

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Broooklyn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 am

Do not fret, for I am here. Now, where are these grapes I have been hearing about? I love a good grape!
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Broooklyn
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 6684
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: When somethin'z broke...I wanna put a bit'a fixin' on it!

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Yea, that's the way a lot of kids are nowadays and I will bet this person who posted this knows one of the people who were charged or is one of them, themself.


Where was that comment actually posted? Because if it was somewhere public, then the chances of it being one of those 9 people are very slim indeed.
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:55 am

Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
Yea, that's the way a lot of kids are nowadays and I will bet this person who posted this knows one of the people who were charged or is one of them, themself.


Where was that comment actually posted? Because if it was somewhere public, then the chances of it being one of those 9 people are very slim indeed.


It was posted here below this article. I see someone has come in and answered the guy/girl.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/phoebe-p ... 99566.html
"Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who is hating his brother,
When hate won’t do,
‘cuz we’re all the same,
yes the blood inside of me is inside of you"
User avatar
Innuendoes
We Are The Champions
We Are The Champions
 
Posts: 21640
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:09 pm
Location: Who's bad?

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Loretta » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:55 am

Broooklyn wrote:Do not fret, for I am here. Now, where are these grapes I have been hearing about? I love a good grape!

I thought you preferred a nice whine.
User avatar
Loretta
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:02 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... defying gravity

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Elessar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:56 am

Found it for you. It was here:

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/phoebe-p ... 99566.html

That could have been LITERALLY anyone, of any age. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe it was someone involved. The 'you' isn't necessarily directed at the girl who hanged herself - in fact, it appears to be the global 'you', and the point the poster seems to be making is that suicide is a sin - a belief many people would agree with.

Yeah, 'cyrano' is a bit of an idiot, but there's no reason to think they have anything to do with this case whatsoever.
User avatar
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Re: Teen Suicide Leads to Indictment of 9 Students

Postby Broooklyn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:57 am

Loretta wrote:
Broooklyn wrote:Do not fret, for I am here. Now, where are these grapes I have been hearing about? I love a good grape!

I thought you preferred a nice whine.


*Giggle possum*
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Broooklyn
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love
 
Posts: 6684
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: When somethin'z broke...I wanna put a bit'a fixin' on it!

PreviousNext

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron