More homophobia

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related)

Re: More homophobia

Postby Elessar » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
Elessar wrote:Turns out we're just as bad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8578787.stm

"Against her convictions". What a tool.

If she's got such 'convictions', that's fine and is part of her freedom of speech.
However, imposing those convictions on her business is illegal, so she should consider a career change.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Belle Leisha » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Yes, I'm just not sure how you get from having certain convictions about who you share your bed with, to dictating them to other people, especially when you run a B&B! Ridiculous.

I'm a restless kinda gal, there's No Turning Back Now

http://www.phoenixfirefoundation.com
Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:47 am

this is priceless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8602371.stm

This fucking idiot just might be part of this country's next Government. :shock:
Come on You Tigers
JLP
Admin from Hull
Admin from Hull

Postby Martin1988 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Actually, I think he's right.

When groups of people are ordered to do business against their will by coercion, the only thing that can result is more ill will. I've always found it odd that people seem to think coercively forcing integration can actually lead to integration.
Now, if we really want to stop prejudice, what we should do is repeal all such laws and allow the business owners to deal with whom they want. This means:
-If a racist doesn't want black in his store, he won't let them in.
-If people don't want to shop at a racist store, they can avoid it.
-Meaning the only person who suffers is, in the long run, the store owner.

It's a sad irony that policy is almost always decided on the basis of looking at people as social "groups", be it race, sexuality, etc, and yet this happens on the grounds that we're all equal. Contradictory notions much?

These anti discrimination laws only fester ill will; let people alone and prejudice naturally defeats itself.
҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~HE ͡҉ ҉̔̕WHO͡҉ ҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~ ҉̵̞̟ WA͡҉ ҉̔̕̚~ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇ITS BEHIND ͡҉ ҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~ ҉
Martin1988
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Location: Ignorance is taking over. And it doesn't even know it.

Postby Elessar » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:07 pm

In that case, prejudiced businesses should make there prejudices very clear, so that people know to avoid them. Otherwise unaffected people who are nonetheless offended by prejudice will be giving them business without realising that others are getting turned away.
Elessar
Somebody To Love
Somebody To Love

Location: Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

Postby Martin1988 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:12 pm

It's odd you say that. I just talked t a gay friend, who told me that, in his personal opinion, in a case like this, he would be much more comfortable if he was aware that, given a free choice, the owner/whatever would rather not serve him.
҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~HE ͡҉ ҉̔̕WHO͡҉ ҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~ ҉̵̞̟ WA͡҉ ҉̔̕̚~ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇ITS BEHIND ͡҉ ҉̔̕̚̕̚҉ ~ ҉
Martin1988
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Location: Ignorance is taking over. And it doesn't even know it.

Postby Delilah » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 am

Oh, that's really nice.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/04/05/ACLU_Investigating_Fake_Prom/

To avoid Constance McMillen bringing a female date to her prom, the teen was sent to a "fake prom" while the rest of her class partied at a secret location at an event organized by parents.

McMillen tells The Advocate that a parent-organized prom happened behind her back — she and her date were sent to a Friday night event at a country club in Fulton, Miss., that attracted only five other students. Her school principal and teachers served as chaperones, but clearly there wasn't much to keep an eye on.

"They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen says. "The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to."

Last week McMillen asked one of the students organizing the prom for details about the event, and was directed to the country club. "It hurts my feelings," McMillen says.

Two students with learning difficulties were among the seven people at the country club event, McMillen recalls. "They had the time of their lives," McMillen says. "That's the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them [at their prom]."

In March, after the Itawamba County School District refused to allow McMillen to bring a female date to the prom, the district canceled the event altogether. McMillen and her lawyers from the American Civil Liberties Union challenged that decision in court, and a judge ruled the district could not bar McMillen and her date.

The judge declined to force the school district to hold the prom because a parent-sponsored, private prom was being organized — and the understanding was that McMillen and her date were invited to that event. But Hampton says McMillen was never invited and organizers made it very difficult for her to find information on the time and location. That prom was later mysteriously canceled, with the Friday night event at the country club officially replacing it.
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby queenb » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 am

Surely it's her property and she can decide who stays :?:

Only a complete mug would not realise it's been going on for years in all walks of life - pretty women getting preferential treatment for jobs etc etc.

If the face fits and all that :roll:
Out of darkness cometh light
queenb
Don't Stop Me Now
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Delilah » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:19 pm

queenb wrote:Surely it's her property and she can decide who stays :?:

Only a complete mug would not realise it's been going on for years in all walks of life - pretty women getting preferential treatment for jobs etc etc.

If the face fits and all that :roll:

Huh?
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Didn't you know that, Dee? The occurances of pretty women getting preferential treatment had now overtaken issues of worldwide oppression of women, and homophobia? Where have you been?

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Delilah » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Didn't you know that, Dee? The occurances of pretty women getting preferential treatment had now overtaken issues of worldwide oppression of women, and homophobia? Where have you been?

Oh! Well, I'm decent looking. Wow! My problems are all over! I was just too dumb to see it! Typical woman, too stupid to see that she rules the world. That lesbian teenager is cute too. What the fuck is she complaining about again?
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Delilah wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:Didn't you know that, Dee? The occurances of pretty women getting preferential treatment had now overtaken issues of worldwide oppression of women, and homophobia? Where have you been?

Oh! Well, I'm decent looking. Wow! My problems are all over! I was just too dumb to see it! Typical woman, too stupid to see that she rules the world. That lesbian teenager is cute too. What the fuck is she complaining about again?

Apparently she thinks she should be treated as an equal, some people just want the world.

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Postby Delilah » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:Apparently she thinks she should be treated as an equal, some people just want the world.

Geez, she's already female. She gets to spend her life oppressing men. What more could she possibly want? Greedy bitch.
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 pm

Delilah wrote:
Belle Leisha wrote:Apparently she thinks she should be treated as an equal, some people just want the world.

Geez, she's already female. She gets to spend her life oppressing men. What more could she possibly want? Greedy bitch.

I know, back in the day she would have just accepted the fake prom and been grateful she was there and not in the kitchen. What is the world coming to.

Belle Leisha
I Want To Break Free
I Want To Break Free

Previous

Return to IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED?