eiricd

Re: BM solo re-releases: "We're working on a plan"

Post by eiricd »

Fingers crossed for Albert Hall on DVD.
At very least, some audio or video from 1988

Kes

Post by Kes »

One of the main things I remember about the Albert Hall gig, was that it wasn't as loud as I think it should have been, still, the building IS a bit old, so maybe that's why.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kes wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 pmAmongst probable extras would be the four tracks from the T.E. Conway EP, the swearing version of Love Token, the two tracks on the Cozy Powell album (more or less instrumentals of Ressurection and Nothin' But Blue. There's Slot Machine that he did with Chris Thompson and Steve Hackett.
Add to this the single mixes and all the B-sides, including the million versions of "Driven by You", the Starfleet tracks, the two or three live recordings from L.A., the instrumentals (of which "Nothin' But Blue" was one; only the "Resurrection" instrumental aka "Ride to Win" didn't make it onto a single) and the alternate version of "I'm Scared" without all the breakdown vocals in the middle.

And on the subject of "Slot Machine", Brian did another song with Steve Hackett at the same time called "Cassandra", although he only played on that rather than co-writing it, so I don't know if it'd be ripe for inclusion.

Oh, and Brian? Please re-release Anita's album while you're at it. I'm not even joking.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I seem to remember that the instrumental versions of Nothing But Blue and Resurrection were different to the tracks on Cozy's album, too.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Can't honestly say I've done a side by side comparison, but it sounds sensible, otherwise Brian would have had to use the original Cozy's versions copyright details on his versions.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Leigh Burne wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:00 pm... only the "Resurrection" instrumental aka "Ride to Win" didn't make it onto a single)
There was an instrumental version though, wasn't there? I'm certain I remember it, but I can find any reference to it now.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Kes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 am Can't honestly say I've done a side by side comparison, but it sounds sensible, otherwise Brian would have had to use the original Cozy's versions copyright details on his versions.
They're the same basic tracks, but the solo guitar he played over the top was different.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

WeeMann wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:32 pmThere was an instrumental version though, wasn't there? I'm certain I remember it, but I can find any reference to it now.
There was, but it was only ever on one of Cozy’s albums (under the name “Ride to Win”). The other instrumentals all got onto various Back to the Light singles. That was what I was trying to say :)
WeeMann wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:36 pmThey're the same basic tracks, but the solo guitar he played over the top was different.
I didn’t know that! Thanks for the info!

Kes

Post by Kes »

Cozy Powell - The Drums Are Back

Resurrection = Ride To Win

Nothing But Blue = Somewhere In Time

Kes

Post by Kes »

A bit more detail than the last time I read this page..

Powell died on 5 April 1998 following a car crash while driving his Saab 9000 at 104 mph (167 km/h) in bad weather on the M4 motorway near Bristol. He had been dating a married woman who was having issues with her husband. Upset, she phoned him and asked him to come quickly to her house which was approximately 35 miles (56 km) away. As he was driving to her house, she phoned him again and asked "Where are you?" He informed her he was on his way and she then heard him say "Oh shit!" followed by a loud bang.

Powell was ejected through the windscreen and died at the scene. According to the BBC report, at the time of the crash Powell's blood-alcohol reading was over the legal limit, and he was not wearing a seat belt, in addition to talking with his girlfriend on his mobile phone. The official investigation also found evidence of a slow puncture in a rear tyre that, it was suggested, could well have caused a sudden collapse of the tyre with a consequent loss of control of the car.

Source: wikipedia.