BM solo re-releases: "We're working on a plan"

Good Company - The Life Of Brian
Ray

Re: BM solo re-releases: "We're working on a plan"

Post by Ray »

Kes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:25 pm A bit more detail than the last time I read this page..

Powell died on 5 April 1998 following a car crash while driving his Saab 9000 at 104 mph (167 km/h) in bad weather on the M4 motorway near Bristol. He had been dating a married woman who was having issues with her husband. Upset, she phoned him and asked him to come quickly to her house which was approximately 35 miles (56 km) away. As he was driving to her house, she phoned him again and asked "Where are you?" He informed her he was on his way and she then heard him say "Oh shit!" followed by a loud bang.

Powell was ejected through the windscreen and died at the scene. According to the BBC report, at the time of the crash Powell's blood-alcohol reading was over the legal limit, and he was not wearing a seat belt, in addition to talking with his girlfriend on his mobile phone. The official investigation also found evidence of a slow puncture in a rear tyre that, it was suggested, could well have caused a sudden collapse of the tyre with a consequent loss of control of the car.

Source: wikipedia.
If that's all true, he couldn't have done more wrong...what a waste. :(

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Leigh Burne wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:12 pm
WeeMann wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:32 pmThere was an instrumental version though, wasn't there? I'm certain I remember it, but I can find any reference to it now.
There was, but it was only ever on one of Cozy’s albums (under the name “Ride to Win”). The other instrumentals all got onto various Back to the Light singles. That was what I was trying to say :)
WeeMann wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:36 pmThey're the same basic tracks, but the solo guitar he played over the top was different.
I didn’t know that! Thanks for the info!
So Nothin' But Blue was on a B side as an instrumental called Nothin' But Blue Guitar Version, but this was a different mix to Somewhere In Time on Cozy's album, although the backing track was the same.

I'm convinced there was a Resurrection Guitar Version too, which also differed from Ride To Win.

I could, of course, be totally wrong.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

WeeMann wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:55 pmI'm convinced there was a Resurrection Guitar Version too, which also differed from Ride To Win.

I could, of course, be totally wrong.
Would be news to me. For what that's worth :lol:

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

Brian is planning to re-release Back To The Light next year in Spring! All his solo work should be re-republished too!

He has written this in the latest fan club letter.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Any word on what the bonus material might be?

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Leigh Burne wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:15 pm Any word on what the bonus material might be?
Disappointment?

Ray

Post by Ray »

Young Music Fan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm Brian is planning to re-release Back To The Light next year in Spring! All his solo work should be re-republished too!

He has written this in the latest fan club letter.
Nice!

With Brixton 93 as bonus DVD please. :mrgreen:

Kes

Post by Kes »

FFS Don't stop there. If he doesn't put out the Albert Hall gig, it ain't ever coming out.

My suggestion. Do BTTL as a 2CD/DVD or 2CD/BR combo with all the alternatate takes, B sides, other projects, etc and the complete Brixton gig and the BTTL videos on the video disc.

And Another World in the same format, with Royal Albert Hall gig and VH-1 Almost Unplugged set on that video disc.

ShanesQueenSite

Post by ShanesQueenSite »

I really have to get the Live at the Brixton Academy DVD, I've seen it on YouTube and the concert is actually very good.

Interesting to see what extras he could throw in?

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kes wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:43 pmMy suggestion. Do BTTL as a 2CD/DVD or 2CD/BR combo with all the alternate takes, B sides, other projects, etc and the complete Brixton gig and the BTTL videos on the video disc.

And Another World in the same format, with Royal Albert Hall gig and VH-1 Almost Unplugged set on that video disc.
This is basically what I'm hoping for. Or failing that, doing the live stuff as a separate package to the studio albums (which would be a nice excuse to give Live at the Brixton Academy some new cover art, I've always thought the existing one is pretty awful :lol:) I agree that if a reissue series does come about and we don't get the Albert Hall show as part of it, we're probably never getting it.

Be nice if he could clear the rights to get John Lennon's "God" put back into the Brixton show too, but I won't hold my breath on it being any more than a straight port of the VHS with cleaned up picture and sound.