Walter B

Re: BM solo re-releases: "We're working on a plan"

Post by Walter B »

From the 'Letters' department on his Soapbox:

** Fri 25 Jan 21**
ALBERT HALL GIG

On 25 Jan 2021, Ray Hudson wrote:

Hi Brian,

First of all, at time when the world seems to be resembling something more akin to the plot of a Hollywood disaster movie, I just wanted to say thank you for being sometimes a lone voice for reason, civility and compassion.

I know we all have our own inner demons to battle from time to time, but on behalf of all of us out here in lockdown land, thank you for continuing to find your own way back to the light and bathing us in its glow.

So the question I wanted to ‘gently’ ask was what ever happened to the video footage of the BMB at the Albert Hall on the Another World tour? We were there and remember the film crew filming us the crowd outside waiting to go in and the fact the stalls area was cleared to allow film crews to work. It made for a slightly weird vibe and I don’t think I’ve ever heard you mention it. So I was just wondered if any of the gig will ever see the light of day - either you or Conway.

Take care and keep rockin’ Doc, Kindest regards Ray

---

Brian replied:

Thanks Ray.

Well, that’s a good question. We actually filmed it in 3-D. But a number of things happened. Firstly my voice, having more or less held up for the whole tour, deserted me on the big night night at the AH. Which to me made me not keen to even look at the video. Secondly it was done through a company that ceased to exist soon afterwards. Thirdly my only contact with this company was through someone who no longer works with me. So it all went into somebody’s vaults and right now I don’t know how to find any of it.

So thanks for the reminder. Maybe we can take steps to retrieve the footage. Thanks also for the kind words. I’ve been biting my tongue a lot recently because I don’t like peddling negativity - but my feelings about The way Britain has reacted to the Coronavirus are eating me up !! Take care. Stay safe - stay healthy !

Bri

Kes

Post by Kes »

That's enlightening, thanks Walter and thanks Brian.

Well, I guess it's over to DoRo, then.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Lovely to get an answer about it, especially after all these years. Doesn't sound like it's planned to be part of the hopefully upcoming BM activity though.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Thinking back to the gig, i did think at the time it wasn't very loud, compared to when I saw him at Cardiff Ice Rink on the BTTL tour, but it WAS the RAH.

I didn't think his voice was that "out" though.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

I saw him on the AW tour in Glasgow and I noted in my review I did for my website at the time that I didn't think the show was very loud. I figured it was just the venue (Royal Concert Hall...a nice venue but all seated and not very rock and roll) but perhaps the whole tour wasn't very loud..?

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Kes wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:59 pm That's enlightening, thanks Walter and thanks Brian.

Well, I guess it's over to DoRo, then.
It may not have been DoRo- I can't see them having the 3d capability, somehow. Plus, it wouldn't be the case that Brian has no means of contacting DoRo - even if Rudi is overplaying the "working on current project" stuff, I can't believe that Jim Beach couldn't make contact with him.

Kes

Post by Kes »

DoRo, or at least one of them, was there. I don't know if they sub-contracted the filming out to a third party company, but I think DoRo, as a company, went bust, not too long after that. 2002, I think.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoRo_Productions

Dali

Post by Dali »

I've mentioned this before. I made this homemade compilation to listen to in the car:
Brian May - Ballads and Blues

Brian May - Let Me Out
Brian May - (I Don't Want Nobody) Teasin' Around (With Me)
T.E. Conway - It's Only Make Believe
Brian May - Otro Lugar
Brian May - Back To The Light
Brian May - Dream of Thee
Brian May - Too Much Love Will Kill You (Live Version)
Brian May - Why Don't We Try Again
Brian May - Nothin' But Blue
Brian May - Wilderness
Brian May - My Boy
Brian May feat Sissel - What Are We Made Of?
Brian May - Last Horizon (Single Version)
Brian May - Just One Life
Brian May - Hammer To Fall (Live in Paris, June 98)
Brian May - Hard Business
*bonus track*
Queen (Brian May on vocals) - Lost Opportunity
It works rather well. I'd buy the hell outta this!

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Brian had a few comments about this in the new Record Collector. Sounds like it might just be Back to the Light being worked on. Says they are 'little bit more than' remastering it and they've got an whole new CD of extras. Interestingly he mentions about the difficulties of getting a vinyl produced during the pandemic and isn't sure they'll be able to get it produced on vinyl "in time" which kind of suggests they have a release window in mind.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

The numerous B-sides and single edits would reasonably fill a second CD; while it would be nice to get all those collected together, here’s hoping the bonus disc contains at least something a bit more interesting than that.