Roger's next solo album

Tenement Funster Talk
Leigh Burne

Re: Roger's next solo album

Post by Leigh Burne »

sbrown wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:41 amWorthwhile is pretty subjective.
Fair.
sbrown wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:41 amLet's put it this way - I was very disappointed with the "Naked" mix of Dear Mr Murdoch on The Lot. it sounded no different to one of the other mixes, and I was really really hesitant about getting these.
That might be because the Naked Mix was actually just the single release from 2011 with a new name :)

sbrown

Post by sbrown »

The Kurgan wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:48 am
Kes wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:12 am Wouldn't have hurt Roger too much to put them on ALL copies of the album, would it?
Perhaps it wasn't entirely down to him, but I agree that bonus tracks on Japanese releases only is not on.
I think pretty specifically, cds from Thailand of official releases are about $8. cds from Japan of official releases are about $30. so the Japanese record companies long ago had Japan exclusive releases to try and hold back the flood of imports. Australia did a similar thing for the same reason, but because the market is so much smaller it wasn't as impressive as the Japanese releases.

sbrown

Post by sbrown »

Leigh Burne wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:05 am
sbrown wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:41 amWorthwhile is pretty subjective.
Fair.
sbrown wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:41 amLet's put it this way - I was very disappointed with the "Naked" mix of Dear Mr Murdoch on The Lot. it sounded no different to one of the other mixes, and I was really really hesitant about getting these.
That might be because the Naked Mix was actually just the single release from 2011 with a new name :)
I couldn't work that out. When the original botched CD release fiasco happened I seem to recall having to justify to the marketing person which discs I felt needed replacing. She swore blind that Murdoch was different but subtly similar. Not sure where she got her info from, but they didn't reissue that one for me :)

Anyway, coming back to it -
London town adds an organ. there's a long rap-ish thing before Roger's spoken word bit from a voice that wasn't familiar. Roger's spoken word thing has a different vocal effect on it. A large amount of the song has a shuffle beat to it as there's another rhythm track added. there are lots of finger clicks. it's 6:09 long.
I would say it's as different to the album cut as the Schindler mix of Nazis is to the album cut. It's clearly the same song from the same sessions that has had extra elements added to it.

Surrender - the original album cut has that discordant harmony way way way in the background and 2 front vocals in harmony. The single mix has the discordant harmony right up front and the 2 other vocals back a bit. this seems to have only a single vocal and I'm struggling to tell if it's any of the original three. sounds more like a completely different take to me but I'd need to listen a few more times to categorically nail it.
In the original album cut when it transitions from the verse to the chorus and Teranna's singing there's a fairly marked drop off of the instruments and an ethereal synth thing backing her. the single mix is similar but slightly different in the echo. This new mix adds a throb on the beat to keep the rhythm of the song more prominent.
There's another hammond organ placed through it that wasn't on either original mix.
Again there is a lot of the original here but i'd say it's been revisited with overdubs. I'm really not sure about Roger's vocal - it's very deep in places that *almost* make it sound like a contemporary vocal but I couldn't swear to it.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Finally listened to the bonus tracks (didn't break the seal on my CD, someone finally uploaded them to YouTube). I really like them. Really freshens them up. Surrender has become almost a ballad, early days but I think that's my favourite mix of that now.

That new middle section of London Town is weird. Where did it come from? I suspect this might be more a case of it being put back in after being cut from the original 99 mixes, as surely its too different to the rest of the song to have been newly introduced out of nowhere? But who knows? I'd definitely like to know more.