Vanilla Ice Claims He Owns Queen’s ‘Under Pressure’ Read Mo

Sit back, relax, and get into some friendly chatter about Queen.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Vanilla Ice Claims He Owns Queen’s ‘Under Pressure’ Read Mo

Postby nicksmithworld » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Vanilla Ice Claims He Owns Queen’s ‘Under Pressure’

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/vanilla-ice-under-pressure/

Vanilla Ice claims that he owns the song that served as the basis for his only No. 1 hit.
Back in 1990, the white Dallas-born rapper scored his breakthrough single, “Ice Ice Baby,” which rode the familiar bass line lifted from Queen and David Bowie‘s 1981 single “Under Pressure.” Even though Ice didn’t originally credit the earlier hit — which meant no royalties were paid to songwriters Bowie, Brian May, Freddie Mercury, Roger Taylor and John Deacon — controversy surrounding their similarities, not to mention a lawsuit, led to an eventual co-writing credit.

Now, Ice, whose real name is Robert Van Winkle, says he owns the complete rights to the song. In a new interview on the Dan Patrick Show, the rapper claimed he purchased the song from Bowie and Queen.
UPDATE: A spokesman for Queen tells Ultimate Classic Rock that Vanilla Ice’s statement is inaccurate. “An arrangement was made whereby the publishing in the song was shared.”

After admitting to host Patrick that he “was being a jackass” back in the day when he told interviewers that the two songs were different because he added an extra note to the bass line, Ice dropped this bomb: “I ended up actually buying the song. It was actually David Bowie and Queen, so they didn’t have the actual rights to it. So I went to Brian May and bought the song. I actually own the song. Like Michael Jackson owns the Beatles. It was cheaper than a lawsuit. So ‘Under Pressure,’ ‘Ice Ice Baby’ – same difference.”
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Re: Vanilla Ice Claims He Owns Queen’s ‘Under Pressure’ Rea

Postby Jimi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm

that would be so funny if it were true.
Maybe he bought all the shit in the archives as well

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby julymorning » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:02 pm

From what I've read about this, he's full of himself, and his insides are mostly shit. So, the way I understood what Brian said about that mess was he only got the rights to use the riff, not own it outright.

And my head gets a little riled every darn time the commercial for his stupid home rehab program comes on, which is about every 15 freaking minutes.

ETA" It's pretty sad that the man can not come up with his own riff worth remembering that would get people's attention.

Because when I hear it, and that's not always on the home improvement channels, I don't think to myself "Oh, Ice's program ad". I look up expecting to see something about Queen.

Makes ya think he did that deliberately.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby nicksmithworld » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:48 am

He is a complete knob, and lacks the self awareness to see that. :P
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:36 pm

I have just read this trash: what a fucking moron this twat is. The worst sentence in all of that is when he says something like 'it's the same as Michael Jackson owning The Beatles'...

...er, Raspberry Ripple or whatever your stupid name is, it is NOT the same, mate...not in a million years. Jackson bought the rights to those songs, you were allowed to use the bass line from one Queen song - massive and clear difference you absolute idiot.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Return to Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon