Queen Apparel

Sit back, relax, and get into some friendly chatter about Queen.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Queen Apparel

Postby Lover Boy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:06 pm

I have over 50 Queen shirts, a Queen belt, Queen boxers, and I've been wearing the same Queen hat for over a decade (I've replaced it with the same hat half way through ;)).

So I was wondering if you guys wear Queen stuff religiously. As long as I'm not going to work, I'm almost always rocking my Queen gear, and I'm proud of it. My friends and family have gotten used to me being a walking Queen advertisement, and have often joked about it. But I don't mind. I love the band and I'm always on the lookout for something new and interesting to wear.

So in this topic (and I've searched for a similar topic but no luck) please share with us your favorite Queen apparel. Got anything rare? And of course, if you can share where you ordered it from that'd be wonderful. :)

To get us started...

At the moment, I'm looking for a new Queen jacket/hoodie/sweatshirt. Especially since it's winter! Has anyone ever purchased this varsity jacket? It's Chinese and not officially licensed...but I like the design. Was thinking of getting it...but of course I have my reservations.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-201 ... autifyAB=0

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Re: Queen Apparel

Postby agkelly » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Ooh, I like that jacket! Shame it's no longer available.

Personally, I have quite a few Queen clothing items, with t-shirts and hats being the most common.
I don't wear them anywhere near the frequency that seemingly you do! I love your dedication!

I will wear the t-shirts from time-to-time, any of the two hoodies I'll wear in winter (it's summertime here in Australia ... well, it was up until a couple of weeks ago, but it's still hot!), but I suppose the most worn item of mine would be a hat. I have four, but at the moment, the Q+AL hat I was given as part of the VIP package (onstage seat in Bangkok 2016) is getting the most worn. Prior to that one, it was my Queen Studio Experience hat I bought at the old Mountain Studios in Montreux.
T-shirt-wise, it's hard to nominate a favourite. I suppose if I had to nominate one, it would be my 'A Day At The Races' one which I bought at The Rock Shop (I think that's what it's called ... it's on Baker Street) in London in 2016. When I was in Vancouver last year, I passed by a music t-shirt shop and popped in. I walked out with a News Of The World t-shirt, which was rather apt as I was attending the Q+AL gig there that night. I do like that shirt too.

I've been on the lookout for a singlet, as they are my preferred choice of clothing (again, particularly here in Australia at this time of year). One day, I'm sure, I'll come across one ... and hopefully it will be one I like the look of!

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 pm

"New 2017 Hot Sell Winter Queen Rock Band Print Mens Jackets Coats Skateboard Active Punk Casual Boys Punk Jacket Men"......what??? :lol:

It does look pretty cool, though.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Lover Boy wrote:I have over 50 Queen shirts, a Queen belt, Queen boxers, and I've been wearing the same Queen hat for over a decade (I've replaced it with the same hat half way through ;)).

So I was wondering if you guys wear Queen stuff religiously. As long as I'm not going to work, I'm almost always rocking my Queen gear, and I'm proud of it. My friends and family have gotten used to me being a walking Queen advertisement, and have often joked about it. But I don't mind. I love the band and I'm always on the lookout for something new and interesting to wear.

So in this topic (and I've searched for a similar topic but no luck) please share with us your favorite Queen apparel. Got anything rare? And of course, if you can share where you ordered it from that'd be wonderful. :)

To get us started...

At the moment, I'm looking for a new Queen jacket/hoodie/sweatshirt. Especially since it's winter! Has anyone ever purchased this varsity jacket? It's Chinese and not officially licensed...but I like the design. Was thinking of getting it...but of course I have my reservations.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-201 ... autifyAB=0

I wish there were more fans like you: I never, ever see anybody with any form of Queen clothing on. I used to have loads of T-shirts (my Freddie at Live Aid being my old favourite)and a few waistcoats (fuck, did I really ever wear them?!), but that was about it.

I do like the look of that hoodie though - looks quite smart.

On topic, I wonder why Queen have never been a popular band with regards to clothing merchandise? I mean, you see plenty of Rolling Stones' products, loads from The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zep, etc. But Queen? No. I know they are the least fashionable of all the classic, legendary rock bands - so maybe this is the reason. Or maybe the name itself?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Lover Boy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 am

I agree they're not on the same "main stream" level as bands like AC/DC, Led Zep, and The Beatles...but I do see Queen merch at stores. Years ago I picked up a Queen shirt at a JC Penneys (department store here in the USA). And nowadays if you swing by a Hot Topic store you're bound to find at least one T-shirt, maybe even two sometimes. As for why they're not as popular? Because you're right, I don't often see people rocking Queen stuff. But I'll be damned if I don't see someone strolling down the street with a Back in Black T-shirt. Lol And then if you ask them what their favorite AC/DC album is they'll struggle to think of one. I feel like those bands have become fashionable in a strictly fashionable sense. It's just cool and retro to rock classic gear...not necessarily understand what they're wearing.

Oh my...I'm rambling.

In my opinion, Queen is one of those bands that are loved but not openly loved. Not sure of the reason...maybe here in the states conservatism has taken over. Highly doubtful though. That was more of a 1970s/80s thing. Or maybe it can be traced all the way back to 1982 when the band effectively died over here while other acts like AC/DC continued to thrive. Who knows. All I know is that when I do wear Queen gear I am occasionally complimented. There are more fans out there than you think.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Lover Boy wrote:I agree they're not on the same "main stream" level as bands like AC/DC, Led Zep, and The Beatles...but I do see Queen merch at stores. Years ago I picked up a Queen shirt at a JC Penneys (department store here in the USA). And nowadays if you swing by a Hot Topic store you're bound to find at least one T-shirt, maybe even two sometimes. As for why they're not as popular? Because you're right, I don't often see people rocking Queen stuff. But I'll be damned if I don't see someone strolling down the street with a Back in Black T-shirt. Lol And then if you ask them what their favorite AC/DC album is they'll struggle to think of one. I feel like those bands have become fashionable in a strictly fashionable sense. It's just cool and retro to rock classic gear...not necessarily understand what they're wearing.

Oh my...I'm rambling.

In my opinion, Queen is one of those bands that are loved but not openly loved. Not sure of the reason...maybe here in the states conservatism has taken over. Highly doubtful though. That was more of a 1970s/80s thing. Or maybe it can be traced all the way back to 1982 when the band effectively died over here while other acts like AC/DC continued to thrive. Who knows. All I know is that when I do wear Queen gear I am occasionally complimented. There are more fans out there than you think.

You make a very valid and perceptive point concerning individuals who wear, say, an ACDC t-shirt and cannot even name one bloody song by the band; I find this all the time: you see loads of Hendrix t shirts, Beatles t shirts, etc. and then you ask them what their favourite track is and the response is invariably something like 'I don't really know the music...'. I bet though that those who wear Queen clothing, nine times out of ten, are pretty dedicated fans.

It is definitely a fashion statement most of the time. And Queen have never - and will never - be fashionable...which is one of the many things I actually love about them; and I see this lack of a fashionable image as a positive thing - if one is never in fashion then one cannot ever go out of fashion. Music should have no connection to fashion or trends anyway, imo.

And don't worry about rambling. I do it all the bleedin' time! :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby slightlymad1970 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:10 pm

On topic, I wonder why Queen have never been a popular band with regards to clothing merchandise? I mean, you see plenty of Rolling Stones' products, loads from The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zep, etc. But Queen? No. I know they are the least fashionable of all the classic, legendary rock bands - so maybe this is the reason. Or maybe the name itself?

I honestly think part of the problem is that a lot of Queen's merchandise hasn't been very good. There isn't much imagination gone into the T-shirts, usually just the crest. Having said that some of the T-shirts in the official store with the NOTW artwork is quite good. I remember a few years ago the band ran a competition to design a 40th Anniversary T-shit (I think) and some of the entries were just brilliant, they could quite easily have used the Top10 to create a fantastic range of merchandise.

Sadly Queen's visual side will never be as iconic as say The Stones, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Metallica or Iron Maiden. I'm hoping that we will get some merchandise for the 40th Anniversary of the Jazz album, some of the T-shirts from that era would be great reproduced.

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:00 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:

I honestly think part of the problem is that a lot of Queen's merchandise hasn't been very good. There isn't much imagination gone into the T-shirts, usually just the crest. Having said that some of the T-shirts in the official store with the NOTW artwork is quite good. I remember a few years ago the band ran a competition to design a 40th Anniversary T-shit (I think) and some of the entries were just brilliant, they could quite easily have used the Top10 to create a fantastic range of merchandise.

Sadly Queen's visual side will never be as iconic as say The Stones, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Metallica or Iron Maiden. I'm hoping that we will get some merchandise for the 40th Anniversary of the Jazz album, some of the T-shirts from that era would be great reproduced.

I see what you are saying, but I think it has more to do with them never being a fashionable/cool band; and if you take a look around your local high street on a packed summer's day, I bet you will not see any ABBA t shirts either (OK, maybe one) and they fall into the same camp as Queen: huge band, dedicated fanbase, massive sales, etc. and totally uncool.

And I personally think the crest is up there with the iconography of The Stones, Zep, The Who, etc.

But, saying all that, I do agree that QPL need to get someone in to freshen up their clothing merchandise (although I think I recall reading a few months back that they had pulled in some designer to create a whole new range).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:57 pm

I find myself thinking the same about Queen apparel the same about most of the 'brands' (for lack of a better word) I like, I wish the designs were more understated. The logos and designs are always huge and take up the whole front of the t-shirt (or hoodie or whatever). Most clothing companies that just make clothes often (but not always, obviously) have the logo really small on the sleeve or where the breast pocket should be but when it's band t-shirt or whatever the design is always the whole thing. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but just not my style.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Return to Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon