Roger's keyboard playing

Tenement Funster Talk
Young Music Fan

Roger's keyboard playing

Post by Young Music Fan »

When did Roger start playing keyboards? Is it something he learnt from experimenting or did he get proper lessons? I know John learnt himself - the infamous electric piano on You're My Best Friend.

Is there any noticeable playing by Roger because I can't think of one song where he does all the keyboards on it? I think I read somewhere that he did the keys as well as percussion on the Band Aid 30 song, can someone confirm this?

Jake

Re: Roger's keyboard playing

Post by Jake »

Good question. Surprised no one answered.

Frank

Post by Frank »

I'm curious to know as well. Which begs me to question whether there's a good biography written about Roger. We've got countless about Freddie, one about Brian (that I know of), but zilch about Roger or John, specifically.

Kes

Post by Kes »

According to wikipedia, Ron Mael from Sparks played the keyboards on Band Aid 20

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_Aid_20

According to wikipedia, Roger Taylor did the Drums and keyboards on Band Aid 30

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_Aid_30

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Well we know he wrote Radio Ga Ga on a keyboard.

Dali

Post by Dali »

I remember posting a topic about this in one of the previous incarnations of the board. We know that Roger plays piano/keyboards, but have you ever seen a video or even a photo of him at the keyboard?

That could be a trivia question: Where can you see Roger play the piano?

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Dali wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 pm I remember posting a topic about this in one of the previous incarnations of the board. We know that Roger plays piano/keyboards, but have you ever seen a video or even a photo of him at the keyboard?

That could be a trivia question: Where can you see Roger play the piano?

Kes

Post by Kes »

On his first solo album Fun In Space, i think it says he played all instruments, except "about 50% of keyboards", the other 50% being played by David Richards.

The chances are he played a lot of the keyboards on his tracks on The Game, Flash Gordon and Hot Space.

sbrown

Post by sbrown »

Young Music Fan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:02 pm When did Roger start playing keyboards? Is it something he learnt from experimenting or did he get proper lessons? I know John learnt himself - the infamous electric piano on You're My Best Friend.

Is there any noticeable playing by Roger because I can't think of one song where he does all the keyboards on it? I think I read somewhere that he did the keys as well as percussion on the Band Aid 30 song, can someone confirm this?
He was credited with synth work on The Game, so sometime before then.

Kes

Post by Kes »

With the time he spent around Freddie and Brian in the studio, I feel sure he would have leant the rudiments of what chord was what, from them.

Something's got to rub off, when you're around masters.