Women And Drinkin'

Tenement Funster Talk
The Kurgan

Women And Drinkin'

Post by The Kurgan »

I recently received a nice vinyl copy of this 1977 US album by "The Persuasions" titled Chirpin'.
It was released some months BEFORE Roger's first ever solo single, and you might recognise this track....

Frank

Re: Women And Drinkin'

Post by Frank »

Nice find. I never heard the original before. I can see why Roger liked it.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Frank wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:56 pm Nice find. I never heard the original before. I can see why Roger liked it.
This isn't the original. This is:

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

And it seems they re-worked it a couple of years later:

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

I think it's pretty fair to say that Roger heavily based his track on the acapella re-working by The Persuasions rather than the original song.
He credited Taylor from The Parliaments on his own release, and their song title was also kept.
I consider the acepella version to be his real inspiration, and they rightly deserve some credit.
Roger did mention the acapella version back in the day, but I only discovered it recently through somebody else.
The fact it had a different song title resulted in it eluding me all these years.

Frank

Post by Frank »

WeeMann wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:12 pm
Frank wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:56 pm Nice find. I never heard the original before. I can see why Roger liked it.
This isn't the original. This is:

Thanks!

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

It's quite funny what we all know today about these things.
Back in 77/78 we didn't even know, that there was a solo single by Roger Taylor at all.
Imagine my surprise when I went to a small recordshop after school and suddenly discovering that single in a bargain bin for (today) 1 €....Luckily I bought it, but I did not really like it. Sounded to me then like "Fight from the inside", which I never warmed up to. But I liked Taylor's first two soloalbums.

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

Perhaps I am a bit older than you, but I knew about the single and bought it on the day of release :)

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

The Kurgan wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:21 am Perhaps I am a bit older than you, but I knew about the single and bought it on the day of release :)
If you live in England you may even have seen Taylor perform that song on the Marc Bolan show.....and you had weekly music magazines.
Where I live, there was no Marc Bolan show and nothing like Melody Maker at all....

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

I think I may have been informed via a fan club magazine, not completely sure though.