Becoming a Queen Fan

Sit back, relax, and get into some friendly chatter about Queen.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Becoming a Queen Fan

Postby J Henry » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 pm

I don't know if this happens to many people, but it happened to me. I'll be 52 this year and I have been a big Queen fan for six days.

I was never a big Queen fan. Sure I liked a number of Queen songs, I grew up hearing then in my formative years, but I wasn't a "fan." After being a party hearty Rock kind of guy, in the early 1980's I gravitated to punk and new wave music, which held my sole attention into the late 90's. I still liked a lot of classic rock, but I wouldn't mention that to my contemporaries. While I still love 80's and 90's new wavish style music I have started moving back towards classic rock in my music tastes.

It was because of the 80's new wave music that I "found" Queen. A DJ friend of mine posted an 80's new wave mix that I downloaded and in it was the Queen with Bowie "Under Pressure" track. I decided to research it a little and that led me to info on Freddie. I read a biography of Freddie and I really don't know why, but something about him just connected with me.

I watched some Queen YouTube videos until I came across the "These Are the Days of Our Lives" video. I can't put into words how much that video touched my heart. While I'm not a macho type, I am a 100% manly sort of guy, but that video brought tears to my eyes. An obviously emaciated Freddie bravely put everything he had into it, it was beautiful and haunting at the same time. I had to find out more about that amazing man. Just like that, not even realizing it, I became a Queen fan. I researched the history of the band and got the first Greatest Hits album. I got a few more albums and decided I needed all of the studio albums. All I have listened to in the past six days is Queen and Freddie, it has become an obsession. Of course it all led me here, too.

My current favorite song? Delilah. Why? I was listening to Innuendo while working and I heard the meows. I checked the title of the song and saw it was "Delilah." I immediately knew it had to be the name of Freddie's cat and a quick google confirmed it. I found a web page about Freddie's cats and between those pics and the song it was obvious how much he loved them. I am also a cat person. I have my own Delilah, she's named Chessie. Tam (my wife) and I also have many cats (and two dogs and two big aquariums) and we love them like they are our children. It was just another connection for me to Freddie.

51 years old and all of a sudden I am a huge Queen fan, go figure!

Henry

J Henry
Spread Your Wings

Re: Becoming a Queen Fan

Postby WeeMann » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:06 pm

How far through the back catalogue have you got so far? There are plenty of treats hidden away.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby bluerhap » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 pm

J Henry wrote:I don't know if this happens to many people, but it happened to me. I'll be 52 this year and I have been a big Queen fan for six days.

I was never a big Queen fan. Sure I liked a number of Queen songs, I grew up hearing then in my formative years, but I wasn't a "fan." After being a party hearty Rock kind of guy, in the early 1980's I gravitated to punk and new wave music, which held my sole attention into the late 90's. I still liked a lot of classic rock, but I wouldn't mention that to my contemporaries. While I still love 80's and 90's new wavish style music I have started moving back towards classic rock in my music tastes.

It was because of the 80's new wave music that I "found" Queen. A DJ friend of mine posted an 80's new wave mix that I downloaded and in it was the Queen with Bowie "Under Pressure" track. I decided to research it a little and that led me to info on Freddie. I read a biography of Freddie and I really don't know why, but something about him just connected with me.

I watched some Queen YouTube videos until I came across the "These Are the Days of Our Lives" video. I can't put into words how much that video touched my heart. While I'm not a macho type, I am a 100% manly sort of guy, but that video brought tears to my eyes. An obviously emaciated Freddie bravely put everything he had into it, it was beautiful and haunting at the same time. I had to find out more about that amazing man. Just like that, not even realizing it, I became a Queen fan. I researched the history of the band and got the first Greatest Hits album. I got a few more albums and decided I needed all of the studio albums. All I have listened to in the past six days is Queen and Freddie, it has become an obsession. Of course it all led me here, too.

My current favorite song? Delilah. Why? I was listening to Innuendo while working and I heard the meows. I checked the title of the song and saw it was "Delilah." I immediately knew it had to be the name of Freddie's cat and a quick google confirmed it. I found a web page about Freddie's cats and between those pics and the song it was obvious how much he loved them. I am also a cat person. I have my own Delilah, she's named Chessie. Tam (my wife) and I also have many cats (and two dogs and two big aquariums) and we love them like they are our children. It was just another connection for me to Freddie.

51 years old and all of a sudden I am a huge Queen fan, go figure!

Henry

Welcome to our obsession Henry.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Enjoy the ride, its a wild one ;) . Welcome to the boards :).
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Deacons 1st Choice » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Indeed.

"Ride The Wild Wind"....and hang on for your life, mate!

Good Times Are NOW..!

:)

Deacons 1st Choice
Spread Your Wings

Being elusive...as always.

Postby julymorning » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 am

Welcome to our world!

I became a fan in the mid-70's, after being invited to see them live. Most impressive concert I'd ever gone to. But even after seeing them 2 more times I wasn't yet obsessed. Not near the point I am now.

Maybe I should say 'addicted'.

It wasn't til sometime in 2003 when some tv channel ran Wembley '86 back to back from Friday through Sunday continuously for an entire month. If I had access to a tv, I was watching it. Over and over and over, til I knew every move, every expression and nuance of each of them in every song. I couldn't get enough. That's why I say "addicted", because I believe previously I just didn't get enough Queen 'fixes' to affect me. I even purchased the DVD, even though it would be a full year before I would own a player(and surround system) to play and watch it again.

I think, aside from that, as you said there are those little connections. Which I've stated for sometime that the music we appreciate most is that which we identify with, that moves us in some way and pushes mental buttons of our life.

Youtube had/has become my beloved. I can listen and watch videos of most anything Queen related. Through youtube I belatedly discovered the deep cuts of Queen I'd not been exposed to, The Brian May Band, Roger's solo work, Freddie's solo work, their collaborations outside of Queen. So much more. I've managed to purchase every DVD or VHStape available, including one or two 'unofficial' copies.

LOL, I even created an obsessed monster out of my bf. On any given day you can hear him coming home from work half a block away with some Queen CD blaring out of his pickup. Their music creates a fantasy land for him.

My on-line friends and aquaintences make jokes about my Queen obsession, but kindly post a Queen video or song for my behalf from time to time.

It would be scary to imagine the lengths we would go to, to satisfy our addiction, were money no object. Unfortunately it's been a huge obstacle.

So, enjoy...there's enough out there you haven't discovered yet to keep your heart content for the next few years, I'd say.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Anders Jensen » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:08 am

:) I read this some days ago, while I was listening to exactly Delilah over and over again.!!!

Anders Jensen
Spread Your Wings

Postby Anna » Sat May 27, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm a late bloomer too!!!

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat May 27, 2017 8:48 pm

phpBB [video]

Like Freddie in 1991, Brian also wrote a song dedicated to his own kitten that died when he was a kid.
The song is called All Dead, All Dead. You find it on The News Of The World album (1977)

(Ah, I now see this thread's author wrote it all the way back in 2013, and he has only made 4 posts on this board, so most probably he won't read this after all).

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon