Roger's next solo album

Tenement Funster Talk
TheMiracleMan

Re: Roger's next solo album

Post by TheMiracleMan »

After a few days of listening to this album, I can say my opinion about this new album "a frankly weak and boring disk. looks like Tom Petty which gorged on tazepam".

Dali

Post by Dali »

I have still not heard it, other that a couple of bits on YouTube. From what I'm hearing, I haven't missed much.

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

Kes

Post by Kes »

Nothing that's going to change the face of modern music, but it means things to some people.

Roger's been the most productive member of Queen, outside of the band. Some of it is dubious, but then again, some of it is brilliant.

agkelly

Post by agkelly »

My copy finally arrived in Australia on Thursday or Friday last week. I've given it a couple of listens already. It's not a rock album, but more a reflective kinda album. Thus, it's probably very good from that angle. For mine though, it'd be his weakest album yet, sadly. My personal highlight is an old track he's re-done: 'Foreign Sand'. I LOVE the original, and while this isn't the same, I love it too.

Good on him for doing and releasing the album, by the way. Without it, there would be very little creativity coming from the Queen guys these days, and any new music from them is much better than none at all.

sbrown

Post by sbrown »

sbrown wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:29 pm
Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:12 pm
Remixes.
Has anyone heard them? I ditched CDs years ago, but I'm somewhat tempted if they're going to be significant remixes.

edit - ok, that was a stupid question given it's not out until October 8th.
So I decided to get the Japanese edition. It's only money.
It arrived today - the remixes of Surrender and London Town are very different. In the case of London Town, significantly different - there's a....thing...in the middle that would be wrong to call a rap or a spoken word bit, but it's very different. the beat is slightly different. the instrumentation is different. Still sounds like Electric Fire era vocals. This may almost be my favourite version of London Town, but I really need to go back and relisten to the others.

Surrender seems to be quite different as well. It could be a different lead vocal, or it could be one of the 2 on the single mix that seem to be overlapped. It's more like the original album version, but warmer. some lovely acoustic guitar that I don't remember previously - not sure if that's new or just more prominent. Treanna is great as always. I really like the hammond organ parts as well that i don't seem to remember from before.

for me - totally worth it.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Wouldn't have hurt Roger too much to put them on ALL copies of the album, would it?

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

Kes wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:12 am Wouldn't have hurt Roger too much to put them on ALL copies of the album, would it?
Perhaps it wasn't entirely down to him, but I agree that bonus tracks on Japanese releases only is not on.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

It’s a thing that often happens in Japan. Something to do with taxes making it cheaper to import CDs I think, so they put bonus tracks on the domestic editions to encourage people to buy them. Usually it’s just B-sides but every now and then it’s something completely exclusive, like this.

Agree that it’d be nice if they got a release elsewhere though. I’m actually kinda disappointed to hear they’re worthwhile.

sbrown

Post by sbrown »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:03 am Agree that it’d be nice if they got a release elsewhere though. I’m actually kinda disappointed to hear they’re worthwhile.
Worthwhile is pretty subjective.
Let's put it this way - I was very disappointed with the "Naked" mix of Dear Mr Murdoch on The Lot. it sounded no different to one of the other mixes, and I was really really hesitant about getting these.
now, listening to them they seem to offer quite a bit different, but honestly I haven't listened to Electric Fire or the Surrender single for years. I'll go have a listen and assess.

as an aside, once upon a time I knew this catalog so well that I could tell you exactly what mix i was listening to of any song. even ridiculous things like that single mix of Who Wants To Live Forever that has...i dunno...4 extra guitar notes or something.
now i have no idea. So i'll go have an objective listen and report back if I find anything significant.