Roger's next solo album

Tenement Funster Talk
Good Apothecary Man

Re: Roger's next solo album

Post by Good Apothecary Man »

The CD just arrived from Amazon (ordered at 9.30 this morning). I took off the cellophane to find ... no 16-page booklet. Am I missing something ... other than the booklet?!

Apagalaluz

Post by Apagalaluz »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:40 am Mixed opinion about Roger 's new album . Imho the new album is weaker than solo albums such as Fun in Space, Strange Frontier, Happiness, Electric Fire.
Considering the long breaks between albums, it turns out that he didn't write much. 10 new songs one mixon a well-known song, one cover song. And this is "Outsider" ?
On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised. It's one of his most interesting albums, in my opinion. Like Bittertears I'll need to have a few more listens, but I think it's more creative and accomplished than Fun on Earth, for example....
One of my favourites is "Absolutely anything".
I wish Brian were as creative musicaly these days....
'I know, I know, I know' is another favourite.

And the song "Outsider" has a different tone than anything I ever heard before from Roger.
This album is very touching, more deep and personal than the previous ones.
Very eclectical as well in terms of styles.
Thanks Roger 😃😃😃

MichaelAllred76

Post by MichaelAllred76 »

The Japanese version lists two bonus tracks; Surrender and London Town C'mon Down.
Anyone have info on these two? New mixes ala Foreign Sand maybe?
Amazon.com has the back cover image.

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

listened a couple of times via Spotify - It's a comfortable Roger album, kind of disappointed that over half of it has been previously released basically making this a new E.P. Of the new released tracks, my faves are Tides, Absolutely Anything & Outsider.

Due to geography this will be the first time I'll miss an RMT show at the Manky Academy - to all those attending, enjoy.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Gave it a spin today. Nothing especially grabbed me but to be fair, other than Blue Rock, none of Roger’s solo records have blown me away on first listen, they’ve had to grow on me.

That said, it was a pleasant listen. The only song I didn’t like was “The Clapping Song”, otherwise I enjoyed it well enough. Comfortably his most mellow solo offering to date - it’s very much along the lines of “Journey’s End” and the original version of “Gangsters…” for the most part, with only a couple of more upbeat numbers.

I hadn’t listened to much of his recent music more than once so I was less bothered by it being partly something of a compilation album than others no doubt will be.
MichaelAllred76 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:07 pmThe Japanese version lists two bonus tracks; Surrender and London Town C'mon Down.
Anyone have info on these two? New mixes ala Foreign Sand maybe?
Remixes.

sbrown

Post by sbrown »

well it was a nice surprise. Yes, there are some already issued songs, but that's not really different to a lot of albums where a number of singles are issues well before release.

I'm really impressed at the mixes. Roger's voice is very forward and clear, and his obvious skill as a vocalist is still evident.
Isolation in particular is just a great song.

Gangsters for some reason really really makes me think of Also Rans. Another great track.

The re-recording of Foreign Sand is amazing. I know Roger suggested it was a stripped back mix, but I doubt any of the original is here. That's definitely the voice of Roger at 70, not Roger at 45. The timing is also different - lots of musical phrases have been shortened. it was either a massive editing effort of what seems like 3 completed buried guitar parts, or it's rerecorded. would love more informed people to weigh in.

I didn't like The Clapping Song when it dropped the other week. In context, I think it's one of my favourite on the album.

Going to keep listening over the weekend, but I find myself wishing Brian had recorded something new in lockdown. Not that I don't appreciate the Back To The Light reissue, but I'm finding Outsider a lot more satisfying.

Waggoner Will

Post by Waggoner Will »

On my way to the toon from Spain. I must be mad.

sbrown

Post by sbrown »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:12 pm
Remixes.
Has anyone heard them? I ditched CDs years ago, but I'm somewhat tempted if they're going to be significant remixes.

edit - ok, that was a stupid question given it's not out until October 8th.

Hutchence

Post by Hutchence »

Boy, was I wrong, Rog is currently third on the UK Charts with 8k sold...

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think the songs are all there. Being critical, all that's missing is the little bit of magic and quality that Freddie could sprinkle on his songs, and that shows itself in general sales, and popularity.