Queen on Top Of The Pops

Sit back, relax, and get into some friendly chatter about Queen.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Queen on Top Of The Pops

Postby Pingu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:10 pm

So for people with access to BBC iplayer the latest vintage edition of Top Of The Pops (20/9/84) features the video for Hammer To Fall, a new entry at number 19 in the chart. The presenter makes a comment about how loud it is (it's by far the heaviest thing on the show). And as if that wasn't exciting enough, the playout is of one Freddie Mercury with "Love Kills", another new entry at number 27. Truly these were heady days. This is possibly the only chance you will ever have of seeing a studio full of young people strut their funky 80s stuff, with much gusto, to the entirety of Freddie's singular disco masterpiece.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... s-20091984

Catch it while you can!

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen on Top Of The Pops

Postby WeeMann » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Funnily enough, I've just watched this.

And it's not just "The presenter, " it's Steve Wright.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby kurgan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:45 pm

There are some other clips from TOTP if you select it from the playlist link below.
https://www.youtube.com/user/kurgan46/playlists

kurgan
We Will Rock You

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm

WeeMann wrote:Funnily enough, I've just watched this.

And it's not just "The presenter, " it's Steve Wright.

Nah, just 'the presenter', :lol: neither he nor Andy Peebles could grow a proper moustache..I hated the pair of tossers.
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Postby Bea » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 am

Queen were much better than Freddie on his own. Probably blasphemy but I didn't like any of Freddie's 'own' stuff. They were much better as a group than as their separate parts.
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.

Bea
Spread Your Wings

I like morphine it's brilliant.

Postby Cool Cat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Bea wrote:Queen were much better than Freddie on his own. Probably blasphemy but I didn't like any of Freddie's 'own' stuff. They were much better as a group than as their separate parts.

Sure the band were better than Fred, Brian or Roger as solo artists, but all three made some decent songs.
I'm Just a Musical Prostitute, my Dear.

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Pingu » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

The reason I posted this was because it gives you a nice impression of Queen in the context of their time. For those of us who've seen the videos and so on a million times it's good to see them with a contemporary audience. HTF in particular stands out in what was a surprisingly poppy era with a LOT of Howard Jones/Nik Kershaw/Bronski Beat stuff happening, and drum machines all over the place. I don't know, it's so easy in retrospect for everyone to bang on about Queen being too synthy in the 80s but unless you were a metal or indie band EVERYONE on the radio/charts at the time was pretty synthy and drum machine heavy. "Love Kills' sounds way more TOTP/chart friendly than HTF, which of course was not a big hit by Queen standards.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Bea wrote:Queen were much better than Freddie on his own. Probably blasphemy but I didn't like any of Freddie's 'own' stuff. They were much better as a group than as their separate parts.

I don't think there are many people who would disagree with that. The fact none of the band's solo works lived up to what they did as Queen is pretty apparent.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Pingu wrote:The reason I posted this was because it gives you a nice impression of Queen in the context of their time. For those of us who've seen the videos and so on a million times it's good to see them with a contemporary audience. HTF in particular stands out in what was a surprisingly poppy era with a LOT of Howard Jones/Nik Kershaw/Bronski Beat stuff happening, and drum machines all over the place. I don't know, it's so easy in retrospect for everyone to bang on about Queen being too synthy in the 80s but unless you were a metal or indie band EVERYONE on the radio/charts at the time was pretty synthy and drum machine heavy. "Love Kills' sounds way more TOTP/chart friendly than HTF, which of course was not a big hit by Queen standards.

Agreed. Just watching another episode and, although there was some great music in the charts at the time, you've got things like Agadoo outselling HTF.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Return to Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon