The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby TheHero » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:59 pm

One magazine I personally think it is worth getting hold of is the Planet Rock magazine, Queen edition. It is easily one of the finest front covers I have ever seen. It has a golden foil cover, with the Queen crest embossed, and even a die-cut sleeve, revealing the Queen II album cover on page 3.

On page 2 (the back of the front cover) is a full page, pretty cool original press kit from 1977, looking like The News Of The World paper in black/white, covered in dark grey color and it is almost invisible when you first look at it...

Planet Rock, the radio station, has just started making these magazines in the summer of 2017, so this is actually issue NR.2, and will be pretty collectable many years from now, for Queen fans but also magazine collectors.

It is also like the Classic Rock magazine, focusing on the 40th Anniversary of News Of The World, but also on Queen past, present and future + includes a very beautiful description of Queen's 20 heaviest tracks, numbered from 1 to 20 (with pictures and using the NOTW font with red numbers, pretty cool).

One thing I noticed right now, is that on the magazine's spine, it is written:

Planet Rock ISSUE 2 ----------------------- "Well, you're just 17 and all you wanna do is disappear.. "

There is also a tiny crown on the spine, to the left for Planet Rock ISSUE 2. So this is with no doubt dedicated to Queen.

But if you want to get this one, you must hurry up, because issue 3 is already on the way...
Last edited by TheHero on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby slightlymad1970 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi all, it's too late for me as I purchased a copy from eBay, but if anyone here in the UK want the Classic Rock magazine with the brilliant Queen cover and excellent article I have been sent a link from a lady at the magazine distributors to buy it, plus postage is FREE! Well worth a buy, link below :-D

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/music/classic-rock-239-cover-2/

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby TheHero » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks, that is awesome! :D

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kevinrm15 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:16 pm

The Brian May/NOTW sixpence is on the official store to be released on Friday. Maybe that's when we'll get the press release for the box set ?

Kevinrm15
Spread Your Wings

Postby Guru » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:59 am

Kevinrm15 wrote:The Brian May/NOTW sixpence is on the official store to be released on Friday. Maybe that's when we'll get the press release for the box set ?

They're not that well organised!

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby slightlymad1970 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Is this the sort of Box Set we can expect for NOTW?, nice promo for the Gilmour Pompeii box. Interesting to read the comments, just goes to prove that all artists can't please all their fans :-D
phpBB [video]

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby TheHero » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:58 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:Is this the sort of Box Set we can expect for NOTW?, nice promo for the Gilmour Pompeii box. Interesting to read the comments, just goes to prove that all artists can't please all their fans :-D
phpBB [video]

Gilmour is brillant. :)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:40 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:Hi all, it's too late for me as I purchased a copy from eBay, but if anyone here in the UK want the Classic Rock magazine with the brilliant Queen cover and excellent article I have been sent a link from a lady at the magazine distributors to buy it, plus postage is FREE! Well worth a buy, link below :-D

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/music/classic-rock-239-cover-2/

I have ordered, and the magazine has been dispatched :)

Postage is free to countries in Europe! Even cheaper than if you buy it at your local shop. Not bad! :D

---

Please Note: This issue of Classic Rock has two covers. This page is for the Queen cover. The Led Zeppelin cover can be found here.

In this month's Classic Rock we explore the inside stories behind how two of Britain's biggest bands were saved by surprise albums – Queen's News Of The World and Led Zeppelin's Presence. Plus all the essential news and reviews from the world of rock.

----

I guess the Queen version was sent to a few selected shops around the UK, while the Led Zep version was sent to every other country around the World. Maybe the Queen cover had a higher production cost.

Hey, just discovered that the Queen version has a red "sticker" on it saying:

EXCLUSIVE COLLECTORS LIMITED EDITION. I didn't notice until now. :shock:

The question now is, what else is different than the cover of those two magazines? I have seen that earlier limited editions of Classic Rock have had a poster and badge inside, but I don't know if the Queen version has that. Maybe the content is different though.

As you see here, the Led Zep one is not a limited version, but the Queen mag has a red "sticker" on the front.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby pipcraig18 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Just in case some have forgotten, a box set of this (albeit rare) has once been released elsewhere ( I think the states). So as I recall it included a lot of press sheets and photographs from the NOTW photo session, plus the bog standard LP. If you chuck in the DVD everyone has mentioned and the cd, perhaps a few tracks we already have "feelings feelings" , I guess that's gonna be about it. I gave up long ago hoping for stuff from the vaults, at least good stuff!!! I think we will all have to be disappointed together .....

pipcraig18
Spread Your Wings

Postby slightlymad1970 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:58 pm

pipcraig18 wrote:Just in case some have forgotten, a box set of this (albeit rare) has once been released elsewhere ( I think the states). So as I recall it included a lot of press sheets and photographs from the NOTW photo session, plus the bog standard LP. If you chuck in the DVD everyone has mentioned and the cd, perhaps a few tracks we already have "feelings feelings" , I guess that's gonna be about it. I gave up long ago hoping for stuff from the vaults, at least good stuff!!! I think we will all have to be disappointed together .....

The box you refer to was a rare promotional only release, it was done by Elektra Records in America in 1977 and was used to promote the NEW Queen album 'News Of The World'. It was sent out to record executives and radio stations only. It was never commercially available. Not to sure if EMI did the same, if they did i've yet to see one.

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby AlexKx » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Jesus, that's random and weird anyone would consider that a commercial release to the extent that "they would already have done that" forty years ago.

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Michael Allred » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:52 am

For all the supposed issues QP have with Houston 77 not being good enough to release on it's own, then including it as part of a larger box set would then be the ideal place to release it. The fans clearly want it.
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
We Will Rock You

Postby QueenFan19 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm wondering whether the anniversary album released will be similar to the 10th anniversary album of Keane's Hopes and Fears. The two discs which are audio features the original album on disc one, tracks 1-12, then BBC session tracks from track 13 to 19. Then on disc two non-album tracks, live tracks, remixes, alternative versions and unreleased tracks. http://images.coveralia.com/audio/k/Kea ... xe_Edition)-Trasera.jpg

So presumably if Queen were to stick to this format for discs then disc three and disc four would be a DVD and Blu-Ray versions of perhaps some of the Houston show (not all of it, it's unlikely) and the documentary (which will probably be an hour).

Perhaps the deluxe version contains articles and figures?

Is there a chance of a unreleased track?

Will Houston be released in entirety or not all?
It's so easy, but I can't do it
But some day one day
I should be doing all right

QueenFan19
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:11 pm

QueenFan19 wrote:I'm wondering whether the anniversary album released will be similar to the 10th anniversary album of Keane's Hopes and Fears. The two discs which are audio features the original album on disc one, tracks 1-12, then BBC session tracks from track 13 to 19. Then on disc two non-album tracks, live tracks, remixes, alternative versions and unreleased tracks. http://images.coveralia.com/audio/k/Kea ... xe_Edition)-Trasera.jpg

So presumably if Queen were to stick to this format for discs then disc three and disc four would be a DVD and Blu-Ray versions of perhaps some of the Houston show (not all of it, it's unlikely) and the documentary (which will probably be an hour).

Perhaps the deluxe version contains articles and figures?

Is there a chance of a unreleased track?

Will Houston be released in entirety or not all?

No, Houston won't be released in this box.
Knowing QPL they will put anything in this box but not what we want

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenFan19 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:20 pm

My Predictions on Deluxe Track Listing:
Disc 1 (CD) - Original Album 'New Stereo Mix' + BBC Sessions
Disc 2 (CD) - Demos, Outtakes, Alternative Versions, Live Stuff, etc.
Disc 3 (DVD) - Documentary + NOTW Tour Live Footage Compilation (e.g. Houston, Fort Worth) + Promo Videos
Disc 4 (Blu-Ray) - Documentary + NOTW Tour Live Footage Compilation (e.g. Houston, Fort Worth) + Promo Videos

And various articles, objects and possibly a hardback book. I predict there will be a vinyl produced of the 'New Stereo Mix'. I reckon the documentary will probably be an hour as you wouldn't expect there to be a two-hour documentary about just ONE album would you? Along if the documentary isn't just about the album? It's hard to know at the moment. The footage will be really good I reckon, it will contain a lot of behind the scenes in the studio and on the road. Why on earth did they cancel this REALLY INTERESTING footage to be shown in the documentary which was meant to be on TV in 1978? I really hope it's good.
It's so easy, but I can't do it
But some day one day
I should be doing all right

QueenFan19
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On