The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby JLP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:47 am

I have ordered the set but after a bit of thought. It is not worth the £95 I paid in all honesty and I understand why people will not buy it. That is their choice and fair play. A bit like, s Kes mentioned, the current live project. There are some people here who are bona fide Queen fans who have been and had a blast. I haven't been and never will, even if I got in for nothing.

I am looking forward to hearing the unreleased stuff but do wish there was more nonviolent as well. Surely a gigfrom the album's our could have been found. Unless, as I suspect, that is being kept back for a future release.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:59 am

I have just read some comments from one of the fans who attended this year's convention; apparently All Dead is wonderful, with Freddie on all vocals sounding magnificent. Now THAT makes my mouth water; I have always liked this track, and to hear Fred's take on it will be very interesting indeed: I am predicting a more dramatic, less subtle attack on the song (much in the same vein as his version of Too Much Love Will Kill You). A real gem in the box this one.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby sbrown » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:56 pm

btw, much of the commentary on here is about greed and money. And I can't actually see how this makes significant money.
I'm purely guessing, but I'm assuming a print run of 15,000 units. I'm purely guessing, but the QOL only Absolute Queen red leather thing was 1500 units and 10x sounds reasonable for a wide release.
At $150 each, that's only $2.25m, or about 2 nights on tour.
50% of that goes to retailers, so $1.2m ish.
50% of that then goes in mastering, manufacturing, distribution and publishing. So $600k.
Then assume it's split 5 ways (the band and Beach). That's about $120k per person.

TBH, it barely seems worth doing. You'd want to be very very sure that you'd worked out correctly the number of units you ship.

The amount of "stuff" in the box is somewhat irrelevant, as it's unlikely to have another way of being monetized, and from that point of view Huston audio would've made little difference to the costs of the whole thing and should've been included.

But greed? I don't think so, unless I'm off on the number of sets they're likely to sell by at least 3x.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hutchence » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:07 am

Most of you folks here, say this box set is a rip off. Fair enough, so, what would be the "fair" price for you ?!

ATM, the prices online vary from 93-112 pounds...

Looking forward to hearing your answers...:)

Hutchence
Spread Your Wings

Postby slightlymad1970 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 am

Hutchence wrote:Most of you folks here, say this box set is a rip off. Fair enough, so, what would be the "fair" price for you ?!

I suppose the only way to cost the Box Set would be to break it down into it's component parts and then people would still debate those prices!

£19.99 - LP
£14.99 - 3xCD
£9.99 - DVD
£9.99 - Book
£19.99 - Box + Memorabilia

£74.95 In Total and to me that would be a more reflective price of the box and it's contents. You could argue that £5 could be taken off if you don't include the pointless 3rd CD.

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:44 am

sbrown wrote:btw, much of the commentary on here is about greed and money. And I can't actually see how this makes significant money.
I'm purely guessing, but I'm assuming a print run of 15,000 units. I'm purely guessing, but the QOL only Absolute Queen red leather thing was 1500 units and 10x sounds reasonable for a wide release.
At $150 each, that's only $2.25m, or about 2 nights on tour.
50% of that goes to retailers, so $1.2m ish.
50% of that then goes in mastering, manufacturing, distribution and publishing. So $600k.
Then assume it's split 5 ways (the band and Beach). That's about $120k per person.

TBH, it barely seems worth doing. You'd want to be very very sure that you'd worked out correctly the number of units you ship.

The amount of "stuff" in the box is somewhat irrelevant, as it's unlikely to have another way of being monetized, and from that point of view Huston audio would've made little difference to the costs of the whole thing and should've been included.

But greed? I don't think so, unless I'm off on the number of sets they're likely to sell by at least 3x.

Again, that is not the point. Most of us can easily afford one hundred pounds for a treat in this day and age - so it is not about the cost. It is about the fact that they have added a filler cd to justify the cost. It is a piss take.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 am

Hutchence wrote:Most of you folks here, say this box set is a rip off. Fair enough, so, what would be the "fair" price for you ?!

I would have thought about 70 or 80 pounds, but I am not expert. For many, it isn't the cost - it is what one gets for the cost. If Queen/QPL appreciated the loyalty of their fans then they would not try and sell us products with filler and stuff we have already...it's that simple.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Woody70 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:40 am

Spin CD's has the best deal I've seen for the UK - the first 20 orders on their site can get a copy for £89.99 with free shipping.

Woody70
Spread Your Wings

Postby Echoplex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:29 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:

I would have thought about 70 or 80 pounds, but I am not expert. For many, it isn't the cost - it is what one gets for the cost. If Queen/QPL appreciated the loyalty of their fans then they would not try and sell us products with filler and stuff we have already...it's that simple.

THIS ^^^^^

In fact it's slightly worse than that because what we are actually paying that money for is quite simply a book, one CD and one DVD everything else we've got or heard.

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Blu Ray, Dolby Atmos surround mix by Giles Martin....£26....

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... eluxe-set/

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Given that Whitesnake's deluxe 1987 reissue contains pretty much exactly the same sort of stuff - with the exception of a vinyl copy - and costs just £35, even if they added on another £25 for the vinyl it could still be almost half the price.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Guru » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Look at it from the other point of view. Value.

Vinyl may be nice for those that have record players, but that's very much a minority
Disc 2 is 62% utilised (43 minutes out of 70 capacity) and we KNOW there's more similar material that;s been excluded
Disc 3 recycles material from almost every previous "archive" release (Montreal, Milton Keynes, On Air) and is padded with Instrumental versions
The DVD is an hour long. Assuming there's only one audio track, then there's room for up to at least another hour and a half of video, plus other extras. So, at most, the DVD is about 40% filled, and that's before we consider the capacity of a BluRay. AND, we've been told for years that Bob Harris filmed loads, and yet by the time it's released, including a) recording studio, b) WATC shoot, c) Houston live, it's only an hour long - I could easily watch an hour on each of those, before the interview material is added in.

Taking the above into account, what's the rationale for the premium price?

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Guru » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm

A further thought just occurred - the two bonus audio discs would both fit onto the DVD - no need for 3 discs.

Doesn't that exemplify how low on content this actually is? (Despite the RAW disc being fantastic in theory)

It's so strange finally getting a disc of outtakes (even allowing that they're composites), and yet still not being enthused about the overall release - as I've said before, how have they managed to under-deliver in that circumstance?????

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby fairydandy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 pm

I hope to pay no more than £9.99 for the raw disc on download. A fair price for the cardboard box-set tat? I guess about £19.99. Why on earth would anyone possibly want it? You already have it and the cardboard tat costs about 50p to make.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby YAFF » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 am

The box set is an overpriced cash grab when you compare it to ANY "super deluxe edition" released in the past 3 years. ANY. ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNY. I've heard the justifications and apologetics but unless you don't have any of the music on disc 3 or the 2011 remaster you are getting a special LP, one measly CD with 40 minutes of unheard music, a short documentary, on DVD, a book and some paper goods for $130. Show me ANY set out there that gives so little and asks so much. Nothing even comes close to this. In fact an extensive search will only serve to piss you off a little. What do I think the box is worth? With the LP $74.99 max (and that's still too much). Take out the LP and we're at $49.99 max (Still way too much- the Prince Purple Rain Expanded Edition is 3 cds (orig remastered album for the first time, a disc of unreleased tracks, a disc of extended versions and edits) and a full concert on DVD sold for roughly $30. It debuted in the Top 10 on the Billboard 200. But Queen NOTW40? Will sell a tiny fraction and fail to chart in the U.S.

And again before anyone confuses the price as the complaint...had they added the Houston show on DVD and CD instead of the crappy "bonus disc" I'd up the price to where it is now or even higher.

I want Disc 2 and kinda sorta the DVD (can't imagine watching it more that three times). I'm going to basically spend a little over 30 bucks for that (burning my own cd of "Raw Sessions" and the DVD) by buying it and selling it at a discount. Therefore I will enable their laziness and greed, help a friend get it for what he's willing to pay and get what I want as well.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On