Studio buns in the oven

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Will the '' studio buns in the oven'' actually materialise?!

No way. Brian talking bollocks again.
30%
Yes, but it'll be totally dull in reality - a new version of Love Of My Life sung by Kerry Ellis.
5%
Yes, but it will be some Paul Rodgers related shite.
No votes
Yes, but it will just be something with Taylor Hawkins playing drums on a new version of IILWMC.
10%
Yes, but it will just be a re-recording of It's A Hard Life with Tom Chaplin from Keane singing.
10%
Yes, it will be a rare outtake - Hangman or Let Me In (YHA) - something like that. Whoopee!!!
20%
Don't give a rat's arse - I'm past caring.
25%

Total votes : 20

Re: Studio buns in the oven

Postby JLP » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:26 am

I cannot remember the last time I listened to the Orbit monstrosity.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 am

TheHero wrote:I can tell you that the 2011 Remasters CD (deluxe 2CD) and also the Standard versions, are now mostly sold out/ soon to be sold out (except from QOL store and some others).

I have contacted about 4 different European online music retailers, and their reply to me was something like this:

"Sorry, these are now sold out, and no longer possible to order from our supplier".

I take that as a sign, meaning the CDs will disappear from the market completely, and downloads/streaming and vinyl will take over. No surprise, as CDs in general have been said to disappear from the market for good very soon.

Maybe the 2011 Remasters CDs were the last Queen studio CDs to be produced, and used ones on eBay and Amazon will be the most common way to get them ?

Will CDs disappear like the compact cassette tapes, 8-track tapes and Laser discs did? And are we seeing the beginning of the end of the CD era already now ?

Your thoughts on this ?

Fuck CDs, they were saying on the BBC this morning that downloads like iTunes and Amazon will be dead in five years!
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:36 pm

So only vinyl then... Or ?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Streaming.

The artists and all those who represent them, live solely off the revenue generated by people streaming the music.

You don't need to be too brainy, to wonder "Well, what happens when someone with an agenda, invents a program that looks really sexy to 95% of the world's computers, and gives them a dose of virtual clap?"

Cameron got it right. No. Not the idiot who thought it would be a good idea to have a referendum...

I mean the film producer guy....

No, not right about that big boat, Rose Du Buckethead, her fairly impressive "dead heat in a Zeppelin race" tits, OR her diamond thief boyfriend "Fuck me, it's cold in here" Jack De-fucking-Caprio.

I mean Skynet, Koreans fritzing all the computers, and Arnie coming back during a lightning storm to do a bit of proactive birth control.

"Arl bee Bach. Far-queue-ice-soul!"
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 pm

But joke aside Kes, do you think it may be correct that
the 2011 Remasters are almost out of stock, and not coming back to the retailers?

https://beat.media/where-have-all-the-cds-gone

I am only guessing, because the retailers told me that they weren't able to get more from the supplier, and gave me my money back. Nomally if they are only temporarily out of stock, they tell you so. Afterwards they removed those CDs from their websites, so it seems like they are really running out of production.

My second question, do you also believe this may be the last Queen CDs ?

I am seriously starting to get hold of CDs that I want to keep for the future. I want to be able to listen to high quality music without logging on to a internet service or social media etc. :!: That is the benefit with the physical formats; you can listen to music which is yours, not streaming from a server in the USA, through the web and where each listen is logged. Some say streaming is freedom; I compare it to renting a flat, while physical format is like owning it. And my oh my the artwork is much better when you hold it in your hands than looking at a small pic of the album front cover on your mobile phone.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AlexKx » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 am

Now! Now! Children calm down! C.d.s apparently are still a large part of the market still and aren't going anywhere any time soon! PLUS as far as the two c.d. sets from 2011 with QUEEN weren't those always intended to be limited editions? I don't think that there is any surprise that those would go out of print. From last year...but that's a.o.k.! :D
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... ic-digital

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am

The deluxe 2-CD versions, were only meant to be available for 12 months after release, after that, it should be purely stock and second hand copies doing the rounds.

As regards the single CD editions, they (Universal and Hollywood) won't manufacture them in small quantities. They'll allow a lot of the stock (and warehouse) copies to get sold, and then do a decent sized production run to re-supply a long term demand.

Things like Forever, and the live albums already out, might never get another production run, it depends whether or not the companies that make them, decide they can sell whatever size the production run is. You can see this hesitance in things like the NOTW boxset. They decide on a forecasted production figure, and then stick to it.

It's purely a supply and demand thing, and record contracts tend to have a time limited factor, and number of products being put forward, attached to them. I think Queen come up for a contract renewal with UMG in about five years time. I don't know about Hollywood.

Perhaps my biggest surprise about the Queen situation, is that in nearly seven years, UMG haven't put more pressure on the band to get the videos out under their banner. That's like the Greatest Hits albums, you'd have thought it would have been one of the first things they wanted out.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 am

eiricd wrote:on topic; not long after the release of Queen Forever, another version of There Must be more....appeared. Superior in terms of fidelity, and with more Queen trademarks throughout.
At the time, there was a debate as to whether this was a very well made fan mix, or indeed, a leak from a work-in-progress version from the Queen camp.

There are a bunch of other mixes of that track on YouTube, fan-made or otherwise, and literally every single one of them is better than the officially released version.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Kes wrote:The deluxe 2-CD versions, were only meant to be available for 12 months after release, after that, it should be purely stock and second hand copies doing the rounds.

As regards the single CD editions, they (Universal and Hollywood) won't manufacture them in small quantities. They'll allow a lot of the stock (and warehouse) copies to get sold, and then do a decent sized production run to re-supply a long term demand.

Things like Forever, and the live albums already out, might never get another production run, it depends whether or not the companies that make them, decide they can sell whatever size the production run is. You can see this hesitance in things like the NOTW boxset. They decide on a forecasted production figure, and then stick to it.

It's purely a supply and demand thing, and record contracts tend to have a time limited factor, and number of products being put forward, attached to them. I think Queen come up for a contract renewal with UMG in about five years time. I don't know about Hollywood.

Perhaps my biggest surprise about the Queen situation, is that in nearly seven years, UMG haven't put more pressure on the band to get the videos out under their banner. That's like the Greatest Hits albums, you'd have thought it would have been one of the first things they wanted out.

Agreed on all counts.

It might also be worth noting that the 2011 editions came out on "Island Records", whereas everything since has come out on "Virgin EMI". Now of course, these are both variations of the Universal Records umbrella, but it might simply be that the albums will be quietly repressed as stock copies next year under "Virgin EMI".
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby TheHero » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Yes, aren't the studio albums the only albums relased under the Island Records banner?

The other albums (Virgin), Forever/Rainbow/Odeon etc. also has another look, made of cardboard with plastic inner cover. So maybe this will be the new look of the Queen studio albums, if they ever do a reprint.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:00 pm

At the time the studio albums were released on Island, EMI Records still existed as a separate company, the same one the band had been signed to since they started, albeit under different ownership.

I guess it was natural that when EMI was dissolved, that the band moved back across to that banner, now twinned with Virgin. However, the strange thing about the way that EMI was split, was that the vast majority of acts that had previously been signed to the EMI label, went to Warner Brothers, and the label they took over out of the split, Parlophone.

Basically the EMI empire was split three ways, Capitol, Virgin and the EMI label went to UMG. Parlophone and all the EMI acts with the exception of The Beatles material went to Warner Bros. And the music publishing arm went to Sony.

Will they rebrand the 2011 albums as Virgin EMI? I honestly don't know if they'll bother. Yeah, the vinyl albums were released on the label, but it all depends if they think it's worth pissing about with the artwork.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby imthewalrus79 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Kes wrote:Perhaps my biggest surprise about the Queen situation, is that in nearly seven years, UMG haven't put more pressure on the band to get the videos out under their banner. That's like the Greatest Hits albums, you'd have thought it would have been one of the first things they wanted out.

I'm surprised that they haven't been released at this point. But I hope that means that the band is taking the time to get the whole package right this time. While they did a great job with the surround mixes on the video DVD's, the quality of some of the videos was seriously lacking. And as some fans online have shown, they've found sources to create some very good looking versions of the videos, especially the older ones like Bo Rhap and Don't Stop Me Now. Hopefully, they do a very nice Blu Ray production with great audio and visual within the next year or two. If they do that, they'll easily get my money for that product!

Another thing I think it would be a cool idea for the band to do is to revisit their bootleg idea. I still think it would have been a great idea had they really attempted to out-bootleg the bootleggers. If they have as many of their concerts on tape as it's rumored they do, they could go through them, find some concerts that they definitely don't plan to do a wide release of, perhaps shows that are just on standard cassette tapes, do some minimal clean up to them, if necessary, and put them up for sale as mp3's or high res FLAC files. I know there are some great concerts of theirs I've listened to that are audience recordings that I would pay to upgrade to a soundboard version.

imthewalrus79
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 am

I think the main reason they put out the bootlegs in the same quality AS the bootlegs, was so they didn't give the bootleggers a better quality source to do the bootlegging with.

We can all argue about the pros and cons of that, but to a degree, I see their point.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby FCB101 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 pm

m.live.brucespringsteen.net/bsmobile.asp

^^ This what Bruce Springsteen does and this is a true answer to bootlegging. Offering the best possible sources of legendary shows in various formats.
If people are willing to pay good money to get Japanese bootlegs then they will also be willing to pay for sbd recordings of unheard shows!

The 100 best bootlegs they once offered was nothing more nor less than an to their fans

FCB101
Spread Your Wings

Postby FCB101 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 pm

100 best bootlegs was an insult to us fans.
As often QPL does NOTHING to offer anythinh substantial to their hardcore fans.
Thank god there are artists like Bruce Springsteen offering the goods!

FCB101
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On