The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Me too, if only to hear if they have any more remixes up their sleeve for starters.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby DANAIR737 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:18 am

I thought this was quite interesting...

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/mov ... ic-696188/

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:37 am

DANAIR737 wrote:I thought this was quite interesting...

Interesting piece in there:

"There was briefly talk of Ben Wishaw taking on the part, but that changed when King’s fellow producer Denis O’Sullivan phoned in one day and said three words: “I found Freddie.” He sent over a video of Malek doing his best Mercury. “I was like, ‘That’s him,'” says King. “‘Done. Found him.’ There was never a second look or waiver from our side that this guy wasn’t Freddie Mercury.”

I'd like to know where the video of Malek 'doing his Freddie' was from - was it a formal audition tape, or something where he happened to be doing an impersonation and was caught off guard informally? Was it the voice, the look, the poise that got the producers hooked immediately?

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:32 pm

DANAIR737 wrote:I thought this was quite interesting...

Good find!

I found that article really interesting. And I am so pleased that Graham King is now officially stating that Cohen was a bullshitting twat (which I thought from the moment he did that Howard Stern interview about leaving the movie). And Rami really seems to have a true respect and love for Freddie (something that egotistical prick Cohen would have lacked....he's only interested in himself).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby JLP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Lover Boy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:41 am

Great articles. It's especially good to hear King speak out against Cohen finally. Always thought he was full of it. At any rate, it's great to hear his passion for the project. :)

You know, it's almost two months since the first trailer dropped. We must be getting something soon. I can only hope, I guess.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 am

King stating that Cohen as never "officially" attached to the fil may be technically true if contracts weren't actually in place, but it's slightly disingenuous: Brian's own words from his soapbox in Oct 2012 say:

**Wed 10 Oct 12**
QUEEN PLANS

Ah … I promised news of yesterday's Queen band meeting. Well, it was just Roger and Jim Beach and myself … we are a small cottage industry !! Our main agenda was the Freddie film … which, I'm happy to tell you, is on course. Much of our discussion was about contractual things … it's pretty complex …. and determining who is responsible for what. The pieces are all falling into place, though we are now on a slightly later schedule - filming is now scheduled to start in the Spring, with Sacha Baron Cohen playing Freddie. The film should be ready for release early in 2014. We did make some other plans, but they will have to stay under wraps for now. Being in Queen is – bizarrely – as full of surprising twists and turns as ever - 40 years since we first got together, and 20 years after losing Freddie. But of course Freddie is in so many ways very much alive. He must be wryly smiling somewhere !!!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 am

Additionally, the Sunday Express from May 29 2011 has an extensive interview with Roger, in which he says:

WITH SUCH treasured memories of Freddie and periodic contact with his mother, Jer, and sister, Kashmira, one might assume that Roger would have mixed feelings about the forthcoming bio-pic starring Sacha Baron-Cohen, of Ali G and Borat fame, as the idolised front man but both he and Brian couldn’t be happier.

“The casting is inspired and we have a lot of faith in Sacha because he is an incredibly clever artist who runs a lot deeper than most people realise. He is much taller than Freddie but I think he might really surprise people with this performance, though I haven’t seen him do any scenes. We haven’t yet got to that stage but we have given lots of material to help Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, The Queen) fashion the script so that he could recreate the dynamic and the dialogue that went on between us.”

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 am

And King himself, right at the stat of this interview, says 'yes' when asked about working with SBC on the Queen film:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... een-movie/

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 am

And finally...Brian was interviewed in June 2012 on Polish Radio RMF, and confirmed Cohen HAD SIGNED A CONTRACT:

I heard that a movie about Freddie.

Yes, we do a film about the life of Freddie. In his role there is Sacha Baron Cohen, who has signed a contract. Sasha was waiting for this for a long time, is very involved and help us push through the various stages of production. Our partner is Robert de Niro and his Tribeca Film Festival. Work is already well advanced. We have a script and all the necessary approvals. In the fall we start shooting.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:12 pm

cmsdrums wrote:And finally...Brian was interviewed in June 2012 on Polish Radio RMF, and confirmed Cohen HAD SIGNED A CONTRACT:

I heard that a movie about Freddie.

Yes, we do a film about the life of Freddie. In his role there is Sacha Baron Cohen, who has signed a contract. Sasha was waiting for this for a long time, is very involved and help us push through the various stages of production. Our partner is Robert de Niro and his Tribeca Film Festival. Work is already well advanced. We have a script and all the necessary approvals. In the fall we start shooting.

I would put forward that this may have been a translation thing though. Nowhere have I read anyone from the film saying Cohen signed any contract whatsoever. And I highly doubt that a producer of Graham King's calibre is going to come out and blatantly lie about it; I mean, that kind of bullshit can be found out and what good would that do? It would be far better and safer for King not to say anything about Cohen's involvement if Sacha was actually telling the truth (and I notice he has not made another comment since that Howard Stern interview).

No, I am in no doubt that Cohen is a lying toad. And I am so relieved he did not get his grubby little hands on this film.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Great articles. It's especially good to hear King speak out against Cohen finally. Always thought he was full of it. At any rate, it's great to hear his passion for the project. :)

You know, it's almost two months since the first trailer dropped. We must be getting something soon. I can only hope, I guess.

I could not agree with you more with regards to Cohen.

And, yes, one can really feel the passion the big players have for this project. King sounds like a bit of a Queen fan to me - he certainly respects their legacy. All the signs look so good for this film...let's hope it cements our band's legacy on film, as has already been done in music.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby zso » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:05 pm

New trailer coming soon…

zso
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 pm

As it wasn't stated above, the news come from the official BR Twitter account:

A legend is born. New trailer coming soon. #BohemianRhapsody

And there's a picture of 80's Freddie all alone on a soundstage, what looks like,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiEfBr2UwAAefix.jpg

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lover Boy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes!!! My day got so much better. Great pic

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On