The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby action » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:32 am

in the meantime, guns n roses have released a similar boxset, but done right. no mandatory vinyl inclusion, a proper 5.1 mix of the album, three discs worth of demo's and extra's and icing on the cake: everything is available digital if you dont want physical.

as for the NOTW rip off: I've downloaded the two tracks that mattered (SOTSW and AD,AD) from youtube. No way are Queen going to rip me off for two fucking songs lol. I'll happily steal them from youtube. Queen dont deserve my fucking money. They might as well close affairs as far as I'm concerned.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby action » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:35 am

Leigh Burne wrote:On the subject of big album box sets - Guns n' Roses are doing an Appetite for Destruction set (actually several), due out at the end of the month. Much like Queen, the physical sets are overpriced (disgracefully so in Gn'R's case) and padded out with a ton of completely pointless tat...

:lol:
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:52 pm

action wrote:in the meantime, guns n roses have released a similar boxset, but done right. no mandatory vinyl inclusion, a proper 5.1 mix of the album, three discs worth of demo's and extra's and icing on the cake: everything is available digital if you dont want physical.

as for the NOTW rip off: I've downloaded the two tracks that mattered (SOTSW and AD,AD) from youtube. No way are Queen going to rip me off for two fucking songs lol. I'll happily steal them from youtube. Queen dont deserve my fucking money. They might as well close affairs as far as I'm concerned.

GNR have really ripped people off with the mega box though... :shock:
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby action » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
action wrote:in the meantime, guns n roses have released a similar boxset, but done right. no mandatory vinyl inclusion, a proper 5.1 mix of the album, three discs worth of demo's and extra's and icing on the cake: everything is available digital if you dont want physical.

GNR have really ripped people off with the mega box though... :shock:

they did, but the super duper deluxe edition is everything I could wish for. Queen should take notes.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Done right... apart from the obscene price tag (even worse than the Queen set), a comparable amount of bullshit padding "memorabilia" and the similar lack of a period live gig.

The only thing you can really credit them with is releasing the music separately as a digital download. Otherwise it's every bit as much of a piss-take as the Queen set.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:

Done right... apart from the obscene price tag (even worse than the Queen set), a comparable amount of bullshit padding "memorabilia" and the similar lack of a period live gig.

The only thing you can really credit them with is releasing the music separately as a digital download. Otherwise it's every bit as much of a piss-take as the Queen set.

lol, it's not more expensive than the Queen one. you're comparing the L&L set (1000 dollars) to the NOTW set, but the super deluxe set which is comparable, only costs 145 euro. With a discount, I ended up buying it on launch day for 127 euro.

just accept that Queen are the absolute worst company to release musical product and we can move on 8-)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby hardwired » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Where did you get the GNR set for 129 EUro? 145 was too expensive for me. Is it worth it soundwise? I still thunk that the NOTW one is really worth the money sorry ;)

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:03 pm

action wrote:lol, it's not more expensive than the Queen one.

Here in the UK the smaller of the two Appetite box sets is selling at £140, so yes it is more expensive than the Queen one. Almost 30% more, despite having similar content.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:21 am

hardwired wrote:Where did you get the GNR set for 129 EUro? 145 was too expensive for me. Is it worth it soundwise? I still thunk that the NOTW one is really worth the money sorry ;)

membership reduction (5%) + membership card bonus points (10 euro) is a 7 euro reduction total, on a base price of 145 euro (fnac.be)

they charge us 170 euro for the NOTW set, which had one disc worth of marginally interesting material, I give it that. The rest: vinyl, milton keyes tracks, BBC sessions, live killers tracks, documentary, poorly written book are just a very bad joke. I feel bad for anyone who paid for this. you have my condolences. the GNR boxset easily beats any boxset by any artist I have ever bought. it was a labour of love, and it has stuff that actually serves a purpose. those who paid for this must be damage controlling or something

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am

action wrote:it was a labour of love, and it has stuff that actually serves a purpose.

Apart from all the pointless "memorabilia" fluff they padded it out with...

Both sets are basically guilty of the same faults. Some good demo stuff, but no meaningful period live material and a bunch of previously released and still easily obtainable songs included as "bonus" tracks (the G n' R Lies stuff, in the case of the Appetite set), all padded out with some replica tat no one will ever really look at more than once, there solely to drive up the price.

But you'll ignore all those blatant similarities because this is Gn'R :lol:

Oh yeah, the Queen set also came with that new and really damn good documentary, which the Roses one doesn't. And yet the Appetite set is more expensive.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby cmsdrums » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
action wrote:it was a labour of love, and it has stuff that actually serves a purpose.

Apart from all the pointless "memorabilia" fluff they padded it out with...

Both sets are basically guilty of the same faults. Some good demo stuff, but no meaningful period live material and a bunch of previously released and still easily obtainable songs included as "bonus" tracks (the G n' R Lies stuff, in the case of the Appetite set), all padded out with some replica tat no one will ever really look at more than once, there solely to drive up the price.

But you'll ignore all those blatant similarities because this is Gn'R :lol:

Oh yeah, the Queen set also came with that new and really damn good documentary, which the Roses one doesn't. And yet the Appetite set is more expensive.

Bang on - the G n R top level set is basically shelling out £800 for some kids transfer tattoos, some pictures, and a fancy box. The only thing they have done right is make several versions of the box available at different price points - but the top priced one is really just shelling out for 'memorabilia' that isn't at all collectable.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby hardwired » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:42 pm

action wrote:they charge us 170 euro for the NOTW set, which had one disc worth of marginally interesting material, I give it that. The rest: vinyl, milton keyes tracks, BBC sessions, live killers tracks, documentary, poorly written book are just a very bad joke. I feel bad for anyone who paid for this.

Just looked thru my orders: I paid exactly 113 Euro for the NOTW box via Amazon. The GNR box is 149 at the moment. still think it is not cheap but not overpriced. I dont know where you paid 170 Euro for it?!?

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:02 am

Yeah, the Queen set was priced at £110 when it was released. I can't see it being that much more expensive in Euros.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Dave Mack » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:32 pm

So I guess nothing for Jazz, 30 years..? I guess for 1979-2019 they will do a Live Killers era box set. Would be a good time to release more live stuff with better mixing etc...

Dave Mack
Spread Your Wings

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Dave Mack wrote:So I guess nothing for Jazz, 30 years..? I guess for 1979-2019 they will do a Live Killers era box set. Would be a good time to release more live stuff with better mixing etc...

Yeah, the LK album having a remix wouldn't hurt. Clean up the audio, remove the bleeps and add in the tracks that were cut. Job's a good'un.

And perhaps a few more official live releases alongside. A multi-era live box-set is something that'd sell well if they could do it.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On