The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby VaudevilleDeMille » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks for the link MP.

The more I read, see and hear from Rami about the role, the more telling it is that he is COMPLETELY dedicated to portraying Freddie as accurately and respectfully as possible. It's clear that he care a lot about the man who he is portraying and that certainly makes a difference compared to what a certain someone would've bought to the role.

Plus he's bloody adorable in his own right and that's a plus.

VaudevilleDeMille
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:21 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Thanks for the link MP.

The more I read, see and hear from Rami about the role, the more telling it is that he is COMPLETELY dedicated to portraying Freddie as accurately and respectfully as possible. It's clear that he care a lot about the man who he is portraying and that certainly makes a difference compared to what a certain someone would've bought to the role.

You're welcome, VDM.

I love the fact that he has been so passionate and dedicated - passion and dedication are two qualities I always link to Freddie. He clearly respects the man and feels some kind of connection; and this will be evident in his acting.

Yeah, I would say he's pretty adorable too. And he comes across as a real gent (courteous, well-mannered, respectful, etc.).

I do like the fact that they are taking the path of Freddie as an outsider; I think this element of him has often been overshadowed by his sheer brilliance and charisma - and I truly think that many film goers will be able to relate to his feeling of never really fitting in (cleverly, they are making Freddie even more beautiful and appealing).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:54 am

For Freddie's Birthday, 20th Century Fox will be showing some of the film to international media in Hollywood, but not all of it. So I'd assume the film won't be shown in its entirety anywhere else on his birthday.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby YAFF » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:20 pm

VaudevilleDeMille wrote:Thanks for the link MP.

Excuse for my cynicism for Rami is thinking about an Oscar because he knows this kind of role can be his ticket. I don't care how dedicated he is it doesn't change the fact he's tiny and so far I haven't seen anything that captures Freddie's charisma

But, hey, I'm just being negative so.....
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:46 am

YAFF wrote:
Excuse for my cynicism for Rami is thinking about an Oscar because he knows this kind of role can be his ticket. I don't care how dedicated he is it doesn't change the fact he's tiny and so far I haven't seen anything that captures Freddie's charisma

But, hey, I'm just being negative so.....

I don't think Rami was thinking about an Oscar two years before he was given the role - and two years before he was given the role he had already begun investing his time and money learning all he could about Freddie. Say what you want about the man, but he has been passionate and dedicated about this film from the very start (well, before even).

And there is nothing wrong with 'being negative'; everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Rami has nailed this (and I cannot think of another actor who could come close). He will win awards - and deserves to.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby hotspace1966 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Must admit to originally being a bit of a cynic when it came to this film. Not because i was against it in anyway i was just concerned if they could do the legacy justice.
Looking at the trailers i think hard core fans will always pick holes in the finer incorrect details which have been discussed on here at length. For my two cents it looks far better than i ever imagined or hoped for and really have my fingers crossed for the whole project.
Bottom line is we are a small minority and probably 95% of filmgoers that attend will not know or even give a rats arse if Freddie did or didn't dive into the crowd or what year he did or did not have a tache.
I think ( hope ) the film will be a massive success bringing Queen a a whole new fan base and if this means more shows with AL for those who have not witnessed Queen in some form or another that too can only be a good thing.
I am lucky i got to witness the real thing a number of times.
No doubt i will watch the film on the big screen and no doubt will cringe at some of the errors but will i get lost in a great film for 2 hours...probably and that is all that matters.

I would however be very interested to know why some of these incorrect details were left in and for what reason given the band were supposedly hands on, even if Brian came out and said..you know what we knew these items were wrong but we were advised to keep them in for this or that reason so we all know just for our benefit i think in my opinion would be nice as i feel the 2 way dialogue between band and longstanding fans seems to have broken down over the past few years when if anything as they reach the end should be stronger.

Also am prepping myself for yet another GH release of some kind :?

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 pm

So we usually get a press release about 6 weeks before release, don't we? Presumably if there's a Greatest Hits type release to cash in on this, it'll be out a couple weeks before the movie. So we must getting close to finding out something..?

They'll probably be a soundtrack release as well but who would be responsible for that? I guess not QPL.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:44 pm

While I'm happy with what we've seen from Rami thus far, there is one fatal flaw in his portrayal that I can already tell will remain even after the film's screening -

He seems to have gotten the flamboyant, frilly side to Freddie's personality/performances down but he seems to have utterly failed to balance that with Freddie's machismo, stronger masculine side to his personality/performance and vibe, as well.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Khashoggi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:32 am

I wonder if this picture means that we'll definitely get to see a glimpse of 1986 in the movie? What do you think?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmVy9Ofl8eW ... psodymovie
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby devogue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am

Khashoggi wrote:I wonder if this picture means that we'll definitely get to see a glimpse of 1986 in the movie? What do you think?

That's probably when he tells Brian about his new song Don't Stop Me Now ;-)

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby Khashoggi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:54 am

devogue wrote:That's probably when he tells Brian about his new song Don't Stop Me Now ;-)

:P :D
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 pm

devogue wrote:
Khashoggi wrote:I wonder if this picture means that we'll definitely get to see a glimpse of 1986 in the movie? What do you think?

That's probably when he tells Brian about his new song Don't Stop Me Now ;-)

No, of course not - Brian wouldn't let any scene be dedicated to that song.

In the film, 1986 is when Brian tells Freddie about the next big hit that he's written for the band - "I Want It All". And it'll go on A Kind of Magic and be the biggest single off of it.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:56 pm

The film's timeline feels less like Brian and Roger or the studio fucked things up and more like Barry Allen from the Flash got his hands on it. That's the level we're at, now.

Also Rami doesn't pull off 1986 Freddie...at all. Freddie (at that time, 1986-1988) had put on a little weight and was a little pudgier than he used to be - and Rami is probably more fit than Freddie ever was in his entire life.

He looks like a cosplayer in that photo.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Hmm...interesting. I think he looks great. OK, so he is slightly smaller than Fred was in '86, but no film goer will give a shit about that.

So if the film ends in '85 - which we obviously know it does - why would Rami be pictured in Knebworth/'86 attire? Maybe we are going to see a montage-style ending in which we see Rami portray Freddie up until '91. It might be a very brief recap of all things post-85. Fuck knows. I'm still stoked as hell for this movie though!

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:02 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Hmm...interesting. I think he looks great.

Sorry, but at times I don't see why he's supposedly looking any more convincing than a cosplayer/fan.

I see nothing but good things in the trailer regarding him but as far as some photos go...it looks like a fan dressing up.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On