Bohemian Rhapsody (sequel)

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody (sequel)

Postby Peavy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 pm

AlexKx wrote:You can't do a sequel because of all of the time line cock ups in the first one. In the sequel will there be a hand off scene of Freddie to Adam? Why not? Lol.

If they continue messing with the timeline, EVERYTHING is possible... :D ;)

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Faellie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Starting from the premise that I don't want a sequel but that the extraordinary critical and commercial success of the film pushes everything in that direction -

How about using the filming of a sequel to go back over what's already been done? Use the deleted scenes, add others from the early days, correct Freddie's 'tash on We Will Rock You. Recut everything up to Live Aid into two movies and then add a third part to make a trilogy. I could get behind that, I think, if it were done well.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm

That'll never happen. Why would they bother to alter the film that's already made them millions?
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Faellie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:26 am

Different times. Lots of things exist in different versions now. Keep the original, just add other versions.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peavy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am

I don't see that happen either - best thing in that direction that could happen would beöÜ an extended cut later with the unused scenes. I wish they did this for the Blu-ray, but maybe they still do it later.

I don't think there needs to be a sequel either, but knowing Hollywood they will certainly do it as long as Brian and Roger are ok with it I guess. The good thing is, they have already the actors...but the question really is, what story would make a good movie worth seeing? It would be way more personal of course since the story of the last years is very different than the one so far seen in the movie. Even more focus on Freddie, but also more on the other characters...no concerts anymore (at most Knebworth to start the movie), but only personal story (Jim Hutton, Mary, band) and them being in the studio (also Freddie and Montserrat making "Barcelona"...I definitely don't want to see Freddie suffer, so I'd hope the desease to be just there symbolically for the most part...seeing Freddie still being very creative and doing the most with his life in spite of that terrible fate could definitely make a very inspiring movie though.

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 am

Faellie wrote:Different times. Lots of things exist in different versions now. Keep the original, just add other versions.

Generally alternate cuts as drastic as you're suggesting happen because a director's original vision was compromised, or a film under-performed and the powers that be think there's a more successful cut there somewhere.

Neither is the case here. Why would they expend the considerable time and effort necessary to go back and modify the film in the ways you suggest, completely reworking it and correcting all the factual errors in it, when it's made billions as it is? (Answer: they wouldn't.)

I wondered if we might see an extended cut of some kind on home video, with some of the deleted scenes put back in, but that's seemingly not going to happen.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Wild/Wind » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am

The only thing that could be very interesting and would have great soundtrack , is to create a movie about Queen on Tour.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Its just not a runner this.
I mean how embarrassing a cash in would it be?
also despite the great love shown for the film by the cast and their enduring friendship ( although that is probably quite common its just we don't pay as much attention when its not a film about Queen) I cant see Rami Malek going back in for a reprisal.
His career is really going to take off now ( after good work on Pacific and the very good Mr Robot ) and that would set him back and risk type casting

There is no story either of course as the death of the great man is already detailed as the end statement of the film.
Would be rather silly. Yes the Magic tour was big at the time but it rates now as pretty standard for big groups.
The 3 albums that followed don't warrant any real coverage either, as, despite our love for them they didn't change the course of music history

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Herr von Keil » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 pm

If a sequel is actually happening, I would love to see how young Brian and his dad built the guitar. It's such a great story and such an iconic instrument - not to mention how crucially important the Red Special is for the band's sound.
Pretty surprising that the RS wasn't - even briefly - mentioned in the film at all.
Guten Morgen, sie wünschten geweckt zu werden.

Herr von Keil
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 pm

I really don't need a sequel. This one already showed me how paranoid I was as a Queen fan (I find it so difficult to sit through it anymore), so I don't think I could take another one. Bohemian Rhapsody ended on a high note while still addressing the elephant in the room (AIDS)...I think that's enough.

If anything they ought to release an extended cut. So many potentially great scenes were left on the cutting room floor. It's a damn shame.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby parchedpeas » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Herr von Keil wrote:If a sequel is actually happening, I would love to see how young Brian and his dad built the guitar.

There's a reason fans don't make films.

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 am

Maybe a sequel wouldn't be a bad thing.

Can't be any worse than the first film. If anything, it would allow for a better film to be made. They could retread stuff not covered from the '70s and early '80s in flashback segments, show the band rallying to make Freddie's last records great, etc.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 am

Personally I don't think there is really scope for a sequel. I would guess that QPL feel the same way, but I may be wrong.

However is there is a sequel, rest assured it will be utterly predictable.

It will open with the story of Queen's triumphant final Magic Tour (Wembley or Knebworth being recreated), then we'll see Barcelona and Great Pretender (with recreated video), with a subplot of Brian's marital breakup and the band's other personal issues, and Freddie's confirmation of his status. They come back together to do the Miracle (we replay the AIDS diagnosis scene as Freddie tells the band he has limited time left and wants to work) see Freddie's determination despite declining health, we have sequences of Freddie and Jim's relationship, Mary doing her best to support him, then the Innuendo sessions (esp TSMGO with a big montage), the tabloid press now harassing and stalking him. The brave filming of TATTOOL. We have a tasteful sequence of Freddie's last days, fading away, seeing the band for the last time, "Who Wants to live Forever", saying his goodbyes to Jim and Mary, "I still love you". The funeral.

Then we cut to 95, we see the band in the studio listening to the last recordings, Mother Love, remembering their friend, smiling, playing together again to honour his memory as his voice comes through the monitors. Fade to black, "It's a Beautiful Day" plays as we read what happened with Queen from Made In Heaven to the present day.

Then the credits over footage of a live song from Wembley, starting with the Day-ohs then something uplifting, perhaps A Kind Of Magic.

The End.

Easy, this biopic treatment lark.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby Peavy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:51 am

Pingu wrote:Personally I don't think there is really scope for a sequel. I would guess that QPL feel the same way, but I may be wrong.

However is there is a sequel, rest assured it will be utterly predictable.

It will open with the story of Queen's triumphant final Magic Tour (Wembley or Knebworth being recreated), then we'll see Barcelona and Great Pretender (with recreated video), with a subplot of Brian's marital breakup and the band's other personal issues, and Freddie's confirmation of his status. They come back together to do the Miracle (we replay the AIDS diagnosis scene as Freddie tells the band he has limited time left and wants to work) see Freddie's determination despite declining health, we have sequences of Freddie and Jim's relationship, Mary doing her best to support him, then the Innuendo sessions (esp TSMGO with a big montage), the tabloid press now harassing and stalking him. The brave filming of TATTOOL. We have a tasteful sequence of Freddie's last days, fading away, seeing the band for the last time, "Who Wants to live Forever", saying his goodbyes to Jim and Mary, "I still love you". The funeral.

Then we cut to 95, we see the band in the studio listening to the last recordings, Mother Love, remembering their friend, smiling, playing together again to honour his memory as his voice comes through the monitors. Fade to black, "It's a Beautiful Day" plays as we read what happened with Queen from Made In Heaven to the present day.

Then the credits over footage of a live song from Wembley, starting with the Day-ohs then something uplifting, perhaps A Kind Of Magic.

The End.

Easy, this biopic treatment lark.

Yep, that's how I would imagine it too. You only forget the statue in Montreux at the end with Made in heaven, but that's it. They might also give the Tribute concert a scene.

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby BruceyMc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Surely they couldn’t not include the dying Freddie telling Brian that he must release driven by you. Also, why waste move screen time on stuff like the great pretender and Barcelona when you could be recreating the resurrection video instead? Perhaps include a scene where Freddie looks stupid when he drops TMLWKY from the miracle Album also? The Brian may band Brixton gig so needs to be featured on film. I wonder who would play cozy Powell?

BruceyMc
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On