The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Postby Frank » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 am

Faellie wrote:
bigV wrote:Suddenly, the final movie doesn't seem so bad...

V.

Yes indeed.

Well, it's only the third draft.

But yes, "older Brian" was definitely out of chactercter. Not at all the humble and modest man we all know and love. Plus, I doubt the real Brian would EVER give out any secrets about Bohemian Rhapsody...especially to some blogger. I thought it was a weak ending too. A bit too depressing. I definitely prefer the ending the movie has now. Plus, what's with Bismillah being a town in Zanzabar? What? Lol

What I liked about the script were the parts where it showed that Freddie had been friends with Brian and Roger before they were Queen. Even parts where they were at their stall in Kensington. It also shed more light on Mary's side of the relationship...what she wanted from their romance (whether it's true or not). It added depth. There was another scene where Brian is heading back to his hotel room during a tour and he sees Roger going into his room with two women...and then he looks to find Freddie going into his with several men, and then Freddie asking Brian to join. But instead Brian went into his 'empty' room. I guess it was nice to read a bit of insight into how they each started living their own seperate lives, and that perhaps they were all getting into their own kind of trouble. They even address how they each got seperate limos.

I did not like how they treated John Reid. He was flat out against Bohemian Rhapsody, and was at odds with the band. And this is apparently why Freddie threw a brick into his window (which actually happened but for a different reason). In this version, Freddie does fire him, but it's because Reid was sick of Queen, and Freddie wouldn't have it. Not too keen with that at all. Though it does show Freddie's sense of loyalty.

I said it before, but I'll say it again. I enjoyed the scene where Freddie visits his friend with AIDS. This actually did happen. He had to watch his own friends die...knowing full well it'd be his turn too eventually. It's a clever way of showing his illness without actually showing it. I wish they'd have done that. Speaking of his friend, I really liked that they included a character that was effectively David Minns. Instead of a weird romance with Prenter, we'd have had a romance closer to the truth. Not sure why they got rid of him, other than possibly because they felt they had too many characters.

Anyway, I hope you all get to read the script. It's totally worth it.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby icy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:51 am

I'm so glad and relived the third draft never made it to the by screen. It's crap...and that's being mild.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby parchedpeas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:41 pm

Is that third draft real?

I can't believe it is. The first six pages read like Brian wrote them.

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 am

parchedpeas wrote:Is that third draft real?

I can't believe it is. The first six pages read like Brian wrote them.

No, they read like someone was kissing Brian's arse.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby eiricd » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:24 pm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?i ... apsody.htm

Past 900. Pretty spectacular!

Imagine the numbers if the film had been absolutely brilliant :)

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:36 am

If it were brilliant by our standards it might not have been as successful though.

The film played right into what the audience was yearning for...a cookie cutter tale of a rock band's rise, fall, and redemption. Seriously, the movie's basic plotline could have been about any band. All that was different were the characters and music.

I realize they wanted to stray away from Freddie's horrible disease and death...but man would it have made for a real good story. One that shed a light into what it was like to live knowing you're going to die...and how he persevered through it all. Or how he came to terms with it. Yes, show the good times, and the amazing live performances, the genius behind the music...but here they had a chance to tell a far more emotional rollercoaster ride of a movie, and they settled for, as I said, a cookie cutter tale of a rock band's rise, fall, and redemption.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby bigV » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:11 am

Frank wrote:I realize they wanted to stray away from Freddie's horrible disease and death...but man would it have made for a real good story. One that shed a light into what it was like to live knowing you're going to die...and how he persevered through it all. Or how he came to terms with it. Yes, show the good times, and the amazing live performances, the genius behind the music...but here they had a chance to tell a far more emotional rollercoaster ride of a movie, and they settled for, as I said, a cookie cutter tale of a rock band's rise, fall, and redemption.

Sorry, but that's bollocks. There's a perfect example of a movie that was historically accurate, critically acclaimed, beloved by the fans, and side-stepped any "cookie cutter" clichés - Ray. I was hoping for that level of excellence. Instead we got the proverbial cookie cutter - a movie full of blatant lies for the sake of dramatic effect. The only comfort I get is that the movie is a commercial success, but every time a friend asks me about it, I tell them not to take it at face value. The first thing I point out is that the band never ever broke up. Certainly not for "years", as the movie suggested.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Frank » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am

bigV wrote:
Frank wrote:I realize they wanted to stray away from Freddie's horrible disease and death...but man would it have made for a real good story. One that shed a light into what it was like to live knowing you're going to die...and how he persevered through it all. Or how he came to terms with it. Yes, show the good times, and the amazing live performances, the genius behind the music...but here they had a chance to tell a far more emotional rollercoaster ride of a movie, and they settled for, as I said, a cookie cutter tale of a rock band's rise, fall, and redemption.

Sorry, but that's bollocks. There's a perfect example of a movie that was historically accurate, critically acclaimed, beloved by the fans, and side-stepped any "cookie cutter" clichés - Ray. I was hoping for that level of excellence. Instead we got the proverbial cookie cutter - a movie full of blatant lies for the sake of dramatic effect. The only comfort I get is that the movie is a commercial success, but every time a friend asks me about it, I tell them not to take it at face value. The first thing I point out is that the band never ever broke up. Certainly not for "years", as the movie suggested.

V.

While Ray was highly successful and did not follow cookie cutter cliches as closely as Bohemian Rhapsody, it still wasn't historically accurate. For example, in the scene where Ray's brother drowns in the tub, Ray doesn't try to rescue him because he thinks he's just playing, but in reality Ray did attempt to save his life, but wasn't able to because of his brother's weight. Also, the movie suggests that Ray's depression and drug addiction was caused by guilt from the deaths of his brother and mom, but in reality those events did not lead to any nervous breakdowns. It was yet again creative liberties. And while the film was widely successful, it was no where near as successful as Bohemian Rhapsody -- but I would argue that's because the music was more accessible to a wider range of people. Also, both films were criticized for the same thing -- a great lead actor but a mediocre screenplay. Granted, it's been many years since I've seen Ray, but I don't think it's the perfect example of what a music biopic should be. I doubt it exists.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:59 am

The shit over his offer from CBS about Mr Bad Guy, wasn't far off the case. At that particular time, Freddie was a bit pissed off with EMI, as they wanted to Bill him as "Freddie Mercury - Lead Singer of Queen", and at that moment in time, he didn't want ANY mention of the band on his solo product.

I.dont know why they laboured on in the film about TWO solo albums though. Barcelona really didn't affect the band at all, and it was in a totally different and non related point in time. They can feel upset about Mr Bad Guy, I understand that, as those songs, as have been proved, can he worked into the Queen aesthetic, but I don't think the Barcelona ones could, quite so easily. All God's People is the only example, and let's face it, it's not THAT great, is it?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Peavy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Kes wrote:The shit over his offer from CBS about Mr Bad Guy, wasn't far off the case. At that particular time, Freddie was a bit pissed off with EMI, as they wanted to Bill him as "Freddie Mercury - Lead Singer of Queen", and at that moment in time, he didn't want ANY mention of the band on his solo product.

I.dont know why they laboured on in the film about TWO solo albums though. Barcelona really didn't affect the band at all, and it was in a totally different and non related point in time. They can feel upset about Mr Bad Guy, I understand that, as those songs, as have been proved, can he worked into the Queen aesthetic, but I don't think the Barcelona ones could, quite so easily. All God's People is the only example, and let's face it, it's not THAT great, is it?

First, I love "All God's People".^^ I have no idea either why they made it two albums in the movie, especially since the second one isn't in any kind mentioned as "Barcelona", it's told as if he did two albums like "Mr. Bad Guy". "Barcelona" has absolutely nothing to do with all that and the time until 1985. Maybe they wanted just support the story with the "break-up", since he obviously would need more time for two solo albums than one...

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Faellie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Peavy wrote:
Kes wrote:I.dont know why they laboured on in the film about TWO solo albums though. Barcelona really didn't affect the band at all, and it was in a totally different and non related point in time. They can feel upset about Mr Bad Guy, I understand that, as those songs, as have been proved, can he worked into the Queen aesthetic, but I don't think the Barcelona ones could, quite so easily. All God's People is the only example, and let's face it, it's not THAT great, is it?

First, I love "All God's People".^^ I have no idea either why they made it two albums in the movie, especially since the second one isn't in any kind mentioned as "Barcelona", it's told as if he did two albums like "Mr. Bad Guy". "Barcelona" has absolutely nothing to do with all that and the time until 1985. Maybe they wanted just support the story with the "break-up", since he obviously would need more time for two solo albums than one...

Was the deal with CBS for one album or two? If for two, then that's the answer. If for one, then adding a mythical second that never got completed has the big advantage of not dissing Mr Bad Guy as a failure.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby rpt81 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Faellie wrote:Was the deal with CBS for one album or two? If for two, then that's the answer. If for one, then adding a mythical second that never got completed has the big advantage of not dissing Mr Bad Guy as a failure.

Definitely two. In The Great Pretender Jim talks about going back to them with the proposal for Barcelona and them being reluctant to agree to it because of MBG’s performance. In the end I think they agreed to let him out of the contract so they could do things themselves.

rpt81
Spread Your Wings

Postby Frank » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Faellie wrote:
Peavy wrote:
Kes wrote:I.dont know why they laboured on in the film about TWO solo albums though. Barcelona really didn't affect the band at all, and it was in a totally different and non related point in time. They can feel upset about Mr Bad Guy, I understand that, as those songs, as have been proved, can he worked into the Queen aesthetic, but I don't think the Barcelona ones could, quite so easily. All God's People is the only example, and let's face it, it's not THAT great, is it?

Was the deal with CBS for one album or two? If for two, then that's the answer. If for one, then adding a mythical second that never got completed has the big advantage of not dissing Mr Bad Guy as a failure.

I'm glad they didn't diss it and make a point of saying how awful it was in terms of sales. Apparently, there was a deleted scene showing Freddie looking at his album in front of a shop and seeing it on clearance....with the greatest hits album selling like hot cakes.

I thought they did a good job of showing his disappointment with the project, and his realization that he was strongest with the band, or at the very least someone else who would have the courage to say no to him. Though it did make the other boys look like perfect angels, didn't it?

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby bigV » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Kes wrote:The shit over his offer from CBS about Mr Bad Guy, wasn't far off the case. At that particular time, Freddie was a bit pissed off with EMI, as they wanted to Bill him as "Freddie Mercury - Lead Singer of Queen", and at that moment in time, he didn't want ANY mention of the band on his solo product.

So Brian May was just walking around one day, stumbled on the Red Special and accidentally recorded an awesome version of She Blows Hot and Cold?

Were the other guys jealous of Freddie's paycheck? I'm sure they were. Was there resentment? I highly doubt it. I think by this time any problems they might've had ego-wise would have been dealt with. I think the movie overexposed Freddie's "diva" persona. By all accounts, he was not like that with the people closest to him, and certainly not with his bandmates.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 am

According to the BBC ( site) it's closing in on a billion dollars. Absolutely staggering.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions