Deacy Bass Solos

Deaky Back Chat
Frank

Re: Deacy Bass Solos

Post by Frank »

Mona Lisa wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:34 pm Yes for me too this John solo in WWRY is my favourite part!! I missed it when they were playing it with Adam Lambert!
Oh I forgot about that. Yes, that was very disappointing when they left it out. For me it's a defining moment of the song. The part I always listen for!

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

John Deacon not playing solos is very likely a part of his personality. You find many musicians, very often bass players, who love to be part of a band, but they do not like to be in the front line. Underlined by the fact, that he never ever said a word on stage (unlike the Freddie Memorial)
What was special about him was his versatility, he could deliver every style.
Even more surprising than "not playing solos" is, that he also did not work a lot for other people in the studio. I guess he will have had many offers especially after 1992.

Frank

Post by Frank »

It seems apparent to me that while John loved playing music he never thought of it as a career in his younger years. So when he suddently found himself in one of the world's greatest rock bands he must have had conflicting feelings. On one hand he loves being part of a great ensemble, but on the other hand he didn't know how to cope with the 'rock and roll' lifestyle. For all we know he was always looking for a way out, but felt a certain obligation to the band (and fans). We're also talking about a true introvert. And doing anything that might bring him further attention (like solos or talking at concerts) made him feel even more uncomfortable. Introverts by definition don't like standing out.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

The introvert part makes sense, I can see that being the reason. Looking back, I think funky bass solos really didn’t come about until a bit later anyway, it could be that as well.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

The solo in "You take my breath away" is somewhat of a mystery to me. Is that really just Brian May with his Red Special ? The leading deep melody sounds more like a bass being played in the upper register, and then being orchestrated by May's guitar. Anyone having any information?

MyFaerieQueene

Post by MyFaerieQueene »

I’ve never really thought of Queen as a solo kind of band for any instrument. Brian doesn’t let his guitar solos become unnecessary and Roger isn’t as self-indulgent on the drums as he could be.

I adore the fast version of ‘We Will Rock You’ and especially the little Deacy solo! In any other band by any other bassist this section might never be commented on but this little solo is a great example of how good John actually is. It may be short but it’s modest, powerful and memorable – exactly what the track needs.

There’s the little bass bit in ‘Breakthru’ – I always enjoy that.

There may be a lack of bass solos but it feels to me that it’s the bass riffs that stand out more than the guitar riffs with Queen (look at ‘Under Pressure’) and I can think of more notable moments on bass than on any other instrument. The bass dominates ‘Dragon Attack’ and ‘Another One Bite the Dust’ much more so than the guitar and drums ever do on a track. Why have a big solo when you can be the main and best part of the song?

‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ is a great example of how important John’s style of bass is.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

MyHumanZoo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:45 pm I’ve listened to most of the live concerts, and was wondering why we never get a Deacy solo? I realize there is the moment in Liar...I would call that more of a feature than a true solo. I know bass is not necessarily an easy instrument to solo on, but Deacy is talented and also plays a good guitar so you’d think he would come to the front now and then. Was it just shyness and his not needing the limelight? If there are any true solos out there can you point me to them?
There is a great (and short) solo in
Bring back that Leroy Brown
Which we can hear really good live as well:
Last edited by Mona Lisa on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

If you want to hear John Deacon play his bass, you should check out the extended versions of

A Kind of Magic
Pain is so close to pleasure
Man on the Prowl (the closest thing to a real solo)
Keep passing the open windows

Those remixes bring his bass to the front and underline the groove and the drive in his playing, which is much more important for a band and their songs than any flashy solo.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I think the acoustic solos (like the mini-solo in Bring Back That Leroy Brown) are much more interesting?

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Other than that I think there are amazing isolated backing tracks on youtube.