Deacy Bass Solos

Deaky Back Chat
Old Man

Re: Deacy Bass Solos

Post by Old Man »

Mona Lisa wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:05 pm I think the acoustic solos (like the mini-solo in Bring Back That Leroy Brown) are much more interesting?
Is that a solo? Is everything a solo at the very moment, it is played alone or upfront ?
Ever noticed, what Deacon plays in the second verse of "Teo Toriatte" (from 1:00 onwards) ? It's not just a bass accompaniment, it's a very sensitive countermelody, probably even more like "a solo".

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

It looks more like a solo in the live version of Bring Back that Leroy Brown.
Solo means that he plays alone, I guess .... And it's also to show off :)

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

So maybe I could have been more clear on my question, what I was asking was about bass solos when in concert. John Deacon is an amazing bass player, has some iconic riffs and moments in the songs. But I was asking about an improvised solo onstage during a concert, where the rest of the band backs off and either doesn’t play or gives a minimal rhythm background while the soloist goes at it. Brian does those long solos, Roger has done drum solos...and even Freddie’s EY Oh stuff are basically improvised solos. So I was wondering if Deacy ever had those moments, because I’d never seen any. It certainly doesn’t take away from his brilliance as a bass player, but I think it would have been fun to hear what he might have done!

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

MyHumanZoo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:11 pm So maybe I could have been more clear on my question, what I was asking was about bass solos when in concert. John Deacon is an amazing bass player, has some iconic riffs and moments in the songs. But I was asking about an improvised solo onstage during a concert, where the rest of the band backs off and either doesn’t play or gives a minimal rhythm background while the soloist goes at it. Brian does those long solos, Roger has done drum solos...and even Freddie’s EY Oh stuff are basically improvised solos. So I was wondering if Deacy ever had those moments, because I’d never seen any. It certainly doesn’t take away from his brilliance as a bass player, but I think it would have been fun to hear what he might have done!
I think everyone has understood your question correct. But there are no onstage solos. As been said before, Deacon did never connect with the audience, never looked people in the eye or smiled at them. He was focussed on his playing, he hardly had eye contact with the band members.
When you saw the band live, everyone would look at Brian and Freddie, that's where the action was. The old concert videos show more of him than there really was....
I'm sure he would have got a solospot if he had wanted it.

MyFaerieQueene

Post by MyFaerieQueene »

MyHumanZoo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:11 pm So maybe I could have been more clear on my question, what I was asking was about bass solos when in concert. John Deacon is an amazing bass player, has some iconic riffs and moments in the songs. But I was asking about an improvised solo onstage during a concert, where the rest of the band backs off and either doesn’t play or gives a minimal rhythm background while the soloist goes at it. Brian does those long solos, Roger has done drum solos...and even Freddie’s EY Oh stuff are basically improvised solos. So I was wondering if Deacy ever had those moments, because I’d never seen any. It certainly doesn’t take away from his brilliance as a bass player, but I think it would have been fun to hear what he might have done!
I don't think John would have wanted to be in the solo-spotlight. I'm sure if he did do one it would be fantastic but it seems as though he felt more secure as part of a whole. To me he seems to have more confidence when everyone is working together.

Some of John's best work is when every other instrument is at it's best. Either John is playing harder to be heard in those moments or it gives him the confidence play the best he can. I think the focus John gets for 'Under Pressure' is better than any solo. The beginning of that song at Wembley is worth twenty bass solos!